Want to begin Weight Training but nervous

Options
I want to know if you guys have advice for how to get started lifting weights. That whole section of the gym with the free weights is so intimidating to me. I don't know how to use most of it or what it is for. I don't really want to hire a personal trainer I just need someone to show me what a good lifting workout would consist of. I am an older woman and I feel intimidated by the young athletes and I don't want to look stupid- I just want to get stronger.

Replies

• BettyEtte
    BettyEtte Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    At least you're brave enough to go to the gym. I'm going to try to start on my own, at home. Trying to figure out the minimum equipment needed to get off to a good start. Wish someone would just send me the links to what I need to buy (preferably on Amazon!). Best of luck to you.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is great for beginners. You can watch the videos before you go to the gym so you know what each one is and there are only 3 exercises per day, so easy to remember. You can start off doing the exercises with dumbbells, instead of the barbell if the latter feels intimidating... and don't feel pressured to add weight every time. Just do what you can until you feel comfortable with the movements.

Also, you don't have to hire a personal trainer to ask them to show you a few moves. If they aren't working with someone, most will oblige. :smile:
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Since you're older, i'd go with New Rules of Lifting for Life. :+1:
    https://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Life-Muscle-Building/dp/1583335137

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    And, as I am older, I will recommend All Pro. :)

I am 63 and started heavy lifting last year. (I had been doing bodyweight, Nerdfitness, and hand weights before)
    I chose All Pro because I like having a rep progression before a weight progression.

I had done a disappointing Women on Weights class the year before so was familiar with the layout of the gym, even though I didn't know how a lot of things worked.

When I first started the routine I watched a lot of videos and hung out in the exercise forum reading all I could.

Then I went to the gym and just worked through all the moves for a couple of weeks using 5lbs Dumbbells, and observing how people were doing different things with the barbell, benches, and machines.

I then worked out my 10rep max and adjusted the routine to suit my particular capabilities.

At my gym there are only 45lbs bar bells which, except for the dead lift, are way too heavy for me, so I improvise.

Don't be scared of the weight room, people are friendly.
    Research and chose a programme that suits your needs.
    Watch videos and practice with light weights/no weights to get your form.

Only lift what is heavy for you.

Cheers, h.

ETA: Have a look at the programmes listed here.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I want to know if you guys have advice for how to get started lifting weights. That whole section of the gym with the free weights is so intimidating to me. I don't know how to use most of it or what it is for. I don't really want to hire a personal trainer I just need someone to show me what a good lifting workout would consist of. I am an older woman and I feel intimidated by the young athletes and I don't want to look stupid- I just want to get stronger.

This sounds like the perfect use of a personal trainer for a few sessions!