Buddhism and Dieting...

Options
J72FIT
J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I have long been a believer that dieting is as much a mental game as it is a physical one. I found this article and I thought I would share. It's a little "out there", but I think there are a few nuggets of gold to be found...

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/9/1231795/-One-Buddhist-Path-to-Losing-Weight

Replies

• cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't think the article is "out there" at all! Dieting is ALL mental, IMHO. I think yoga has helped me with weight loss tremendously. Not only has it toned and strengthened my body, but it has quieted my mind and calmed my soul.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have read very good empirical results from increasing pleasure from mindful eating. I know it has extended my pleasure from a single square of chocolate for instance.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Thank you, good stuff!!
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    J72FIT, I just sent you a message, but am not at all sure it went thru. I practice and teach mindfulness meditation, and study with a Buddhist monk who is a meditation master from Thailand. I am going to be out of touch for a few days, but would be happy to refer you to some great resources on meditation when I get back, and to discuss further if you want.
  • druidkat7
    druidkat7 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    @J72FIT : I. Totally. Needed. THIS!!!!!! <3 At least two of the precepts in the article match what my physician's assistant told me back in mid-July: mindful eating vs emotional eating. My biggest weakness with mindful eating is eating in front of the computer or TV.

And I do like meditation. :-)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am a multi tanker too.

@J72FIT someone who is much better at meditation than me recommend a simple breathing exercise. I've tried it and it is screamingly easy.

http://www.mindful.org/a-five-minute-breathing-meditation/
  • J72FIT
    Options
    J72FIT, I just sent you a message, but am not at all sure it went thru. I practice and teach mindfulness meditation, and study with a Buddhist monk who is a meditation master from Thailand. I am going to be out of touch for a few days, but would be happy to refer you to some great resources on meditation when I get back, and to discuss further if you want.

Would love that thank you!
  • J72FIT
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I am a multi tanker too.

@J72FIT someone who is much better at meditation than me recommend a simple breathing exercise. I've tried it and it is screamingly easy.

http://www.mindful.org/a-five-minute-breathing-meditation/
    I do dislike auto correct so much... Lol!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    @J72FIT Awesome share, thank you! :smiley: Loving the article and what's being shared on your thread by others.

Plan on looking up the book, "If the Buddha Came to Dinner". that @BABeautifulBadass recommended.

Anything else you're learning or have articles on, I'd love to have links to or learn about. It must have been just the right time as this thread seemed to be waiting for me.

Also the right timing because I'm so in need a quiet, calming brain and that's rather the opposite than it's been lately. What type of meditation are you doing?