For those who lift at home..

Options
Where do you keep your weights? I only lift with dumbbells right now, and I have two adjustable sets that I leave in my sunroom. If I get a free weight set and bench for Christmas (fingers crossed), would it be OK to keep the equipment there (laminate floor with rug, regular floor joists), or would it be better to put it in a storage building with a cement floor? The storage building has no heating/cooling, and no Smart TV to watch videos.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I keep it all in the basement. It's technically unfinished but has rugs, painted walls, heat, cooling, etc. I would put your stuff in the sunroom.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I keep my weights in the house, and I pretty much expect I'll probably drop one through the floor if I ever get strong enough to lift that heavy.
  • jhnbwh
    jhnbwh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I keep mine in a spare bedroom....I ve turned into a workout room .....it's carpet
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    floor
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I keep mine in a converted second floor bedroom with hardwood floor. My weights really aren't any heavier than than the bedroom furniture that used to be in that room. I did put down some interlocking floor padding to protect the wood under my squat cage.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    floor

lamp
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Turned 1/2 the garage into our home gym
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm only using resistance bands, mainly to perfect form before moving to dumbbells. The weights themselves are stored in a case in my closet. I'm hoping to save up enough money to get an easy adjusting weight set to save more space.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    In my spare bedroom (carpeted).
    I can't see why storing your weights in your sunroom would cause issues, although depending on the type laminate can mark easily so you might want to put some sort of matting down.
  • LilMedusa
    LilMedusa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mine are in the garage, because that's where we have room for them. But I don't see a problem with keeping them in the sunroom. Just buy some protective padding if you're worried about damaging the floor.
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know people probably don't use this kind anymore, but if you get those plastic covered weights with concrete or whatever inside of them, do you think the sun would affect the plastic on them? I dunno. Just throwing that out there just in case.

My bf has those interlocking rubber mat thingies under his equipment and its on wood flooring.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Ours are in the garage. It's hot out there but there's room. So half the garage is workout space and half the garage is for my car, and everyone else has to park outside!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    3 car garage. Use the single bay for my weight gym but, unless I give up another bay, I still have to put the spin bike and rower inside the house.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    3 car garage. Use the single bay for my weight gym but, unless I give up another bay, I still have to put the spin bike and rower inside the house.

Same. On one side is a power rack
    platform in the middle
    airdyne bike and cable machine by the rollup door.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have my squat rack and kettle bells on the ground floor of my home in a spare room. I use mainly bumper plates and have have bailed lifts without a problem.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    In the basement next to the stairs out of the way from the rest of the basement. My weight plates are usually stacked in descending order on the floor new the workout space.