Dymatize super mass gainer or ??

Options
So I'm finally starting my journey tomorrow with bulking.
Have being said, I'm preparing today my stuff. For the supplements part i have to choose vetween serious mass and super gainer by Dymatize.

however, super mass gainer is cheap at the moment, so i an wondering if it's good or someone tried it.

Replies

• mixa4u
    mixa4u Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Normal food is cheaper..
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Personally I feel unless you're consuming massive amounts of calories, like a professional strength athlete for example, your better off using a bulk to eat more of the foods you enjoy.

Really though its all down to personal preference. Whichever gainer you choose, like everything else it's just calories and micronutrients to be fit in to your goals.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Ditch the supplements and just eat real food...
  • 3_Stefan_3
    3_Stefan_3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    People always say making your own gainer is cheaper... But let's be real most meatheads aren't math wizzes. Its not fckkin cheaper once you calculate the ingredients and protein you add. Plus time!

Mass gainers are a great way to get in your desired calories.. I myself have a helluva time getting in 3700-3900 a day between work and being a father of a one year old so I depend on Cytogainer to help a little.

Haven't tried dymatize gainer but I did like there other proteins....try it out dude
  • seanm55
    seanm55 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Stick to food man... If your gonna use a gainer use it to supplement one meal a day
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    3_Stefan_3 wrote: »
    But let's be real most meatheads aren't math wizzes.

Well done on being ignorant and stereotyping people.
  • janejr2016
    janejr2016 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Make your own oats penut butter fruit milk blend
  • janejr2016
    janejr2016 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Milk=2400cal+5dolars=profit
  • brasda91
    brasda91 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    People always say making your own gainer is cheaper... But let's be real most meatheads aren't math wizzes. Its not fckkin cheaper once you calculate the ingredients and protein you add. Plus time!

Mass gainers are a great way to get in your desired calories.. I myself have a helluva time getting in 3700-3900 a day between work and being a father of a one year old so I depend on Cytogainer to help a little.

Haven't tried dymatize gainer but I did like there other proteins....try it out dude

What time man? It's literally four steps.
    1: buy milk, protein powder, some coconut oil (olive oil if you're really a cheap *kitten*), maybe some peanut butter if you're feeling frisky.
    2: Dump *kitten* in a blender.
    3: Blend.
    4: Consume.

It's the exact same process required to mix most mass gainers.

Let's do some maths, because maths is apparently hard, and make teh headz hurt, or so you seem to believe.
    Cyto is roughly $1.18 for 280 kcals, even from the cheapest source. You could do better than that with a pack of hot dogs and a multi, by a long shot. The above mentioned mix is even cheaper per cal.

Now, let's look at the aforementioned mix:
    Gallon of milk: $5 in the more expensive places I've seen it, though it averages about $4 per here. I'll go with the 5. That's 1976 kcal for $5.
    Protein Powder: MyPro Whey Isolate is $0.60 for 21g of protein, close enough to the Cytogainer, though if we wanted to go with CPG match, it would end up being $0.77 for the full 27g. Either way, it's $22 for 3932 kcal.
    Coconut Oil: Like $7 for 7200 kcals.
    Peanut Butter: JIF is about $5.38 for 3040 kcals.

Now, let's do this in bulk, just to save everyone a bunch of time.
    Cash=5+22+7+5.38=39.38, so we'll round up to $42, assuming you live in a state with sales tax that's AIDS.
    Kcals=1976+3932+7200+3040=16148

Breaks down to $0.74 for the exact same caloric value of the Cyto, and that's giving you a whole lot of benefit of the doubt, as I added no taxation to the Cyto (price from internet ordering, and I didn't add shipping either), and I'm not using cheap off-brand ingredient prices for my mix, and I put the rounding errors in your favor. Granted, it's not just a simple as dump and blend when you are talking about ingredients like this, but tweaking doesn't take long.

The funny thing is, tweaking the recipe would actually make it FAR cheaper in my favor, because the protein powder is the by far most expensive part, and you'd end up using far less of it, once you factored in the protein from the other sources.

What was that about math, chief?

ETA: Cyto is pretty meh and tested for WAY over (like 162% over) it's label's claim on Sodium, so a bit of "dem gainz" you're gonna be seeing, will be temporary water retention. Just a couple of notable bulletpoints from labdoor:

-Total sodium was measured at 262.7mg/serving, 162.7% over its 100mg label claim.
    -Total calcium was measured at 377mg/serving, 50.8% over its 250mg label claim.
    -This product recorded 0.84g of the free amino acid alanine (per 100g). This value indicates a moderate concern of amino acid spiking.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

As a powerlifter (possibly a meathead), who happens to be an engineer (math whiz), you are wrong.

For reference, see Gallowmere's post above mine.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

1: buy milk, protein powder, some coconut oil (olive oil if you're really a cheap *kitten*), maybe some peanut butter if you're feeling frisky.

Let's do some maths, because maths is apparently hard, and make teh headz hurt, or so you seem to believe.
    Cyto is roughly $1.18 for 280 kcals, even from the cheapest source. You could do better than that with a pack of hot dogs and a multi, by a long shot. The above mentioned mix is even cheaper per cal.

Gallon of milk: $5 in the more expensive places I've seen it, though it averages about $4 per here. I'll go with the 5. That's 1976 kcal for $5.
    Protein Powder: MyPro Whey Isolate is $0.60 for 21g of protein, close enough to the Cytogainer, though if we wanted to go with CPG match, it would end up being $0.77 for the full 27g. Either way, it's $22 for 3932 kcal.

Cash=5+22+7+5.38=39.38, so we'll round up to $42, assuming you live in a state with sales tax that's AIDS.

Breaks down to $0.74 for the exact same caloric value of the Cyto, and that's giving you a whole lot of benefit of the doubt, as I added no taxation to the Cyto (price from internet ordering, and I didn't add shipping either), and I'm not using cheap off-brand ingredient prices for my mix, and I put the rounding errors in your favor. Granted, it's not just a simple as dump and blend when you are talking about ingredients like this, but tweaking doesn't take long.

The funny thing is, tweaking the recipe would actually make it FAR cheaper in my favor, because the protein powder is the by far most expensive part, and you'd end up using far less of it, once you factored in the protein from the other sources.

ETA: Cyto is pretty meh and tested for WAY over (like 162% over) it's label's claim on Sodium, so a bit of "dem gainz" you're gonna be seeing, will be temporary water retention. Just a couple of notable bulletpoints from labdoor:

-Total sodium was measured at 262.7mg/serving, 162.7% over its 100mg label claim.
    -This product recorded 0.84g of the free amino acid alanine (per 100g). This value indicates a moderate concern of amino acid spiking.
    I'm glad you posted this because when I read the title of the thread I inevitably thought I was going to have to look all this up to post something saying basically this!

• JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Not to take anything away from your hard work but I just put this together in MFP (1 cup whole milk, 1 scoop protein, 1 tbsp of coconut oil and peanut butter) and ended up with 19g of carbs, 31g of fat, and 42g of protein for 520 calories.

Personally, that's WAY too much protein and fat for me in a "mass gainer". The point being the mass gainer actually has sensible macros. Even Mutant Mass, which is notoriously *kitten* even by mass gainer standards, has a 88g/8g/26g split(72/7/21%). Pretty easy to fill in the fat. If I had your drink I'd have to spend all day filling on carbs, which is like a sick joke to me.

I'm sure if he is having trouble getting calories it's not because he can't drink milk or down a tablespoon of some high-fat food. I'd reckon it's because he doesn't want to scarf down loads of rice, potatoes and bread to hit something that resembles a carb target.

I see you're doing a keto diet so that might make sense in your case. I don't think anyone should have trouble hitting a calorie target on that diet.

That being said if you're going to take mass gainer the best one is ON Pro Gainer. If you think it has too much protein I'd suggest ON Serious Mass.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited August 2016
    Options

Not to take anything away from your hard work but I just put this together in MFP (1 cup whole milk, 1 scoop protein, 1 tbsp of coconut oil and peanut butter) and ended up with 19g of carbs, 31g of fat, and 42g of protein for 520 calories.

Personally, that's WAY too much protein and fat for me in a "mass gainer". The point being the mass gainer actually has sensible macros. Even Mutant Mass, which is notoriously *kitten* even by mass gainer standards, has a 88g/8g/26g split(72/7/21%). Pretty easy to fill in the fat. If I had your drink I'd have to spend all day filling on carbs.

That being said if you're going to take mass gainer the best one is ON Pro Gainer. If you think it has too much protein I'd suggest ON Serious Mass.

That was why I just shot out a large bulk, and assumed that anyone using it is going to play with the numbers to get the macros that they want anyway. Ratios would have to be adjusted, as I acknowledged, which would cheapen the mix further by reducing the amount of protein powder needed by a lot. Also, keep in mind, I intentionally went with a pure protein powder, due to the cost/g of protein ratio. When you're making a homebrew mass gainer, protein is always the expensive part. You could use a much higher carb protein powder, but your value returned on investment kind of tanks, when there are cheaper carb sources available that could be tossed in.
  • JeffMatchett
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If the lowest fat content of all of your weight gainer is the milk and protein, then the best ratio you could possibly do is 100% milk and some protein, because the milk has more carbs than your peanut butter and oil. So no, you literally can't make a mass gainer with those things in any ratio to hit normal (~60/20/20) macros. You would be better off just drinking the milk itself.

Put it this way, if you have too much protein and fat before you are done with the milk (50/25/25 in whole milk), why would you add any fat and protein? What you need is more carbs, which is why you mix milk with a mass gainer.

Of course mass gainer is composed of something I'm sure you could buy in bulk - waxy maize or something. Maybe it could be simplified to just milk and a carbohydrate powder? Actually you could probably break it down into peanut butter, protein powder, a carb powder and water.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Oh, I also used 2% milk, because it's the most common thing around here. Sorry if I didn't specify that. Brings the fat down and carb up significantly when talking volumes upward of a gallon.

I also have to bear in mind when making something like this that not everyone shoots for a fat ratio quite as high as I do. Keto habits and all of that. That being said, any of these ingredients can easily be changed out for something else that's just as cheap, if not cheaper. I was more shooting for quick and dirty calorie dense than perfect macros. I'd actually end up having to sub some things myself to get the carb rate low enough to work for me.
  • JeffMatchett
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Oh, I also used 2% milk, because it's the most common thing around here. Sorry if I didn't specify that. Brings the fat down and carb up significantly when talking volumes upward of a gallon.

I also have to bear in mind when making something like this that not everyone shoots for a fat ratio quite as high as I do. Keto habits and all of that. That being said, any of these ingredients can easily be changed out for something else that's just as cheap, if not cheaper. I was more shooting for quick and dirty calorie dense than perfect macros. I'd actually end up having to sub some things myself to get the carb rate low enough to work for me.

You could probably make something that works out of:

-a carb powder (waxy maize starch or fine oats)
    -peanut or almond butter
    -protein powder
    -water

Throw milk in there if you want. Of course that's basically what you put just with the added carb. I actually think I might do this.
  • 3_Stefan_3
    3_Stefan_3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I never said the homemade gainer vs pre made gainer cost was hugely different..but it can still be cheaper. Your comparison wasnt but that's partially due to cyto being one of the higher priced gainers as well as you including one of the cheapest per serving whey's on the market which isn't always what every normal guy has. Just sayin