Make-Ahead Meals

Options
Well, it's been a pretty good summer. But my last semester starts up in 3 weeks and it's a doozy. I'm taking 6 classes and working 15 hours/week. I know already I'm not going to have time to cool during the week except maybe Wednesday night, but even that will be pushing it. Luckily I have Sunday and every other Saturday off. So I'm going to have to start cooking a weeks worth of meals every weekend. Another issue is that I don't have access to a microwave during lunch for at least 3 days/week. Anyone been through something similar and/or have any suggestions?

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    yes and within 2 weeks i hated the world, the people on earth and my life - clean your salads, batch cook different types of vegetables prepped in different type of ways, boil all the eggs you will need, clean your fruits, cook rice, potatoes etc.... buy a crap tone of tupperware and eventually assemble.
    Can also cook the meat in advance if you really want to but after 2 days it will be dry and close to tasteless.
    I have been in your same type of situation in terms of time restraints / busy schedule but after loosing faith in human kind i decided to get out of bed 30 minutes earlier and prep my meals every morning.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Pack lunches in an insulated bag that keeps them cold or hot --whichever you need.
    Make things easy for yourself. Sometimes, we try hard to be perfect when we are already doing "good enough."
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I batch cook everything and freeze it in portions. Soup, stew, chili, curry, stir fry, stuffed peppers, and more.

Invest in a wide mouth thermos - my daughter uses Tupperware brand and the food I pack for her is still hot at lunchtime.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    For microwave-less lunches, do fruit, salad and/or a sandwich. I also have dried fruit, nuts, and healthy granola at work for snacks.
    I prep my breakfasts for the week, saves time in the morning. I do lunches too, usually the night before.
    For dinner at the beginning of the week I cook a bunch of lentils, grains, whatever else that is fine for the week, whatever keeps fine for the week. Then add that (either as sides or as a meal) to what ever I'm cooking. I have frozen vegetables and just heat it up, spice it, add whatever sides. Done in 15 -20 minutes. Also very healthy and I hit my nutrition goals and calorie goals by the end of the day.

I'm not as busy as you, just lazy and tired after work and want something fast when I get home, but also healthy.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Also this may give you some good ideas.
    12 Brilliant Meal Prep Ideas to Free Up Your Time
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    have you tried Mason jar salads?
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I'm doing microwave less lunches with school starting up. Tuna salad with white beans and avacado, chicken salad, egg salad, lettuce wraps with lunch meat, and I just found some awesome salad recipes that look sooooo good. Crock pot or one skillet meals will be a lot of what we are eating since school is starting. I really won't have a lot of time to cook unless it's F-Su
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I plan on prepping my meals on Sundays for the week.
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am not quite as crowded with my time but maybe I can help with dinner. I go to and get pre-cut stir fry vegetables(best ones are at Trader Joe's) and cheap sirloin steaks. I cut the steaks into strips and freeze 6oz portions. I take a portion out before I leave home, and when I get home its fire up the wok. Make myself some beef stir fry, and rice. I am single and just use the single serve microwave rice. I can have dinner together in 15 minutes. Also works with chicken. If you go the chicken route use B/S thighs they're more forgiving if overcooked and have more flavor than the breasts.

002_zpso0ts5zsn.jpg
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Pack lunches in an insulated bag that keeps them cold or hot --whichever you need.
    Make things easy for yourself. Sometimes, we try hard to be perfect when we are already doing "good enough."

Yes, this is a great answer. Add an ice pack to the bag and you are fine.

My car is my office. I take my lunch (a tuna wrap) with me every day. I keep it in a insulated wine bag (my profession) with an ice pack. I used the hard sided ice packs not the soft, squishy ones. Even on hot days, my tuna stays cold.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I batch cook everything and freeze it in portions. Soup, stew, chili, curry, stir fry, stuffed peppers, and more.

Invest in a wide mouth thermos - my daughter uses Tupperware brand and the food I pack for her is still hot at lunchtime.

With school starting soon and crazy crazy busy sports season looming....I am going to be trying this batch cooking a freezing in portions approach. Thats a great idea. Do you take a portion out in the morning for that evenings dinner or do you thaw it in the microwave when needed?

I just take it out of the freezer and microwave to thaw or even sometimes thaw then broil (like with homemade freezer burritos or chicken/veggie nuggets).