Low Mobility Cardio ands Weight Loss

Options
Anyone have ideas for cardio that can be done from essentially a sitting position?
I'm not allowed to lift more than 15lbs right now and using my legs or back is pretty much a fantasy for now..

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    We'll luckily cardio isn't required for weight loss. But try sitting and shaking out a sheet, you should be able to burn quite a few calories that way.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Seated shadowboxing, especially if you have weighted gloves; if not, grab some cans of soup or something similar.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Can you get a referral to a physical therapist? They should be able to give appropriate exercises to your situation
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Can you get a referral to a physical therapist? They should be able to give appropriate exercises to your situation

Cosigned.
  • stachesquatch
    stachesquatch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Cosigned.

What they said ^

I tore up a muscle in my rear end couple years ago. The muscle ended up damaging the sciatic nerve. Exercise and weight loss seemed pretty much hopeless, but I was referred by my dr to a physical therapist who gave me exercises appropriate to my injury. It took a year before I could seriously exercise though. I learned in that year that I could lose weight even if I could barely walk. I lost about 50lb in that time strictly through the mfp recommended calorie count. So there is hope. I would seek out professional medical guidance though.
  • Keillarra
    Keillarra Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I am actually scheduled to go to physical therapy this week. And have a Pre Op for spinal fusion set for mid March.
    However, I asked the Dr's if losing weight and trying to gain some of my lost strength back would improve my recovery, since that seemed logical, and they of course said yes.
    I'm still working 40hrs a week walking on concrete with some short bursts of being able to sit, eating the recommended 1200 calories from MFP for my now "sedentary" lifestyle, and yet gained 10 lbs in the last 3 months. Sigh. Was just looking for some new ideas that maybe I hasn't explored.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    PBS has a program called "Sit and Be Fit" that you can probably find online or at your library.

Can you swim safely?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Keillarra wrote: »
    Anyone have ideas for cardio that can be done from essentially a sitting position?
    I'm not allowed to lift more than 15lbs right now and using my legs or back is pretty much a fantasy for now..

I am actually scheduled to go to physical therapy this week. And have a Pre Op for spinal fusion set for mid March.
    However, I asked the Dr's if losing weight and trying to gain some of my lost strength back would improve my recovery, since that seemed logical, and they of course said yes.
    I'm still working 40hrs a week walking on concrete with some short bursts of being able to sit, eating the recommended 1200 calories from MFP for my now "sedentary" lifestyle, and yet gained 10 lbs in the last 3 months. Sigh. Was just looking for some new ideas that maybe I hasn't explored.

I'm confused. You're walking most of the day at work but looking for seated cardio?

• stachesquatch
    stachesquatch Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I'd ask the physical therapist about the exercise before the interwebs. My nerve damage was thanks to a misdiagnosis followed up with the wrong exercises and treatment. If I had started with the right treatment, prescribed by a good physical therapist, a minor muscle injury wouldn't have turned into a lifelong injury.

I would assume you are very careful about measuring and logging absolutely everything and making sure the right nutritional data is being applied, right? Have you been taking measurements? Not all weight is fat

• Keillarra
    Keillarra Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. You're walking most of the day at work but looking for seated cardio?[/quote]

Yes. I'm not exactly a "fast mover" right now, but my job requires being up for most of each shift. That's clearly not losing me any weight. But by the end of each day I'm hobbling, practically crawling, into my house. Often in tears. So at that point more standing or jarring movements are not what I would call attractive, or possible.

Thanks for the help, folks. I'll look up that PBS program and see how it goes
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Sparkspeople.com has a lot of seated exercises to do. Including chair marching iirc. There are even resistance band exercises to do while seated.