How many steps?is 13,000 a day good?

Options
Is this a good long term step goal?

Replies

• Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that 10,000 was "the goal" so you would be in excess of that.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    That's really only something you can figure out for yourself, you need to try it and see if it is attainable.

Here is fitbit's explanation of there10,000 step a day goal, and how you should start off with your step goal.

Fitbit starts everyone off with a 10,000-step goal, and here’s why: It adds up to about five miles each day for most people, which includes about 30 minutes of daily exercise—satisfying the CDC’s recommendation of at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise per week. Thing is, 10,000 steps per day might not make sense for you. You may need to nab more if you want to lose a certain amount of weight, or take fewer steps if you’re new to fitness or recovering from an injury. Your step goal can vary depending on your needs, and it can also shift over time. Here’s how to set it right for you.

Your fitness goal: General Fitness Gains

Your plan: If you’re new to exercise or returning from injury, you’ll want to start slowly to avoid burnout or further injury. Wear a Fitbit tracker and determine how many steps you take on average each day over the course of a week. That’s your baseline. The Mayo Clinic recommends adding 1000 daily steps each week, so if your baseline is 4000 steps per day, set your goal at 5000 steps each day. Meeting your goal may be as simple as an extra five-minute walk, or even parking a few cars further away at the supermarket, depending on your speed and stride.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

What is your purpose in setting a step goal?
    How many steps do you get currently?

10,000 + steps is reasonably active which can be healthier lifestyle than being more sedentary.
    If you are getting less than 5,000 steps now it is increasing your activity quite a bit to get 13,000. You will probably want to increase your steps more slowly instead of trying to get 13,000 the first week/month.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    yes!
    10000 is healthy and anything more is just a bonus.
    anything between 10k-12k is suggested as helpful in maintenance.

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Yes
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    10000 was a number made up to encourage people in Japan to walk. It is not magical and you can also lose weight by hitting your calorie target with no exercise. I would see where you are naturally with how much exercise you are currently doing and how many steps you get just going about your day. Increase it as you see fit. When I first got mine, I set a goal for 15k a day and hit it many times, although I was often at the gym for hours because of it and don't necessarily think that was helping me incorporate it into my lifestyle.

Things like parking further away, increasing my activity (NEAT) outside of exercise are what i like having the fitbit for. I tend to have the mentality of working out and being lazy the rest of the day because "I worked out". This device helps me get up and move around a bit more in the evenings when I'm a couch potato.

Your experience will certainly be different than anyone else's. But I believe the majority find it is helpful for motivation, no matter what your personal goal is.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It is certainly better than zero.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    As far as I am aware I average around 6k steps a day, some days its 13000 some its 1300, the number of steps dont seem to have much impact on my and my weight loss or health.

But more the better, so aim for 10000 but if you only get to 8000 dont beat yourself up over it.

The more you step, the more exercise calories you have, the more you can eat and the more sane you might stay, especially for women, short people or the doubly unlucky, short women :smiley: who maintain on calories that I would go insane on if I tried it for more than a day. :tongue:
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    When I first got my Misfit Shine I was shocked that I was only getting about 3000 steps a day on average. My tracker made me very aware of that and I started to just move more. I always park really far from stores now, etc. I made my first goal to consistently hit 10,000 steps just because I understood that to be "healthier" in general then being as sedentary as I was. Once I hit that, I bumped my goal to 13K, then 15K. Once I consistently hit 15K (I do that about half the time now), I will bump my goal to 20K and I envision keeping that my main goal just for movement sake. I don't count any calories burned by those steps except for what is actual exercise (I walk 3-5 miles a day on most days). Otherwise, I just count them as days I managed not to be sedentary (which is really easy to be as a stay at home mom that is homeschooling). So I'm not sure there is anything really magical about the numbers so much as it's about keeping moving for overall health.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The world around fitness trackers and the like say 10,000 steps, so I guess I go with 10,000 steps! I personally think any steps are better than none!
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    When I first got my fitbit I was surprised by how sedentary I was. The default goal of 10000 steps was so out of reach that it was actually demotivating. I can only break 5000 steps if I get purposeful exercise of at least 30 minutes a day, so I reset the goal to 5000 steps for now.

What is most motivating for me is the hourly activity metric that shows how many hours of the day that I get at least 250 steps. Several times I have jumped up to do something (anything!) to avoid letting an hour go by without those 250 steps.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what your goals are...

And even if you chose the "magic" 10,000 steps a day, note that you may still fail to lose or even gain weight if you are not watching your caloric intake.
  • jtcedinburgh
    jtcedinburgh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you make an effort, and the weather is kind, it's easy to get to 10k steps. However, the best I've managed thus far (bearing in mind I also have to work 0800-1700) was 35k steps. That took some doing, but on a normal work day I'm getting 16-25k steps (morning run, walk to and from train station, walk at lunchtime, walk to and from train station again and a decent length walk each evening when I can. However, as others have said, the important thing is to do what you can.... and then add more :)
  • imtrying22
    imtrying22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm a dairy farmer and its calving time here in nz. I'm on my feet for most of the day and I'm doing 22-24,000 steps. Before calving I was doing 10-13000 and on my days off work about 2-8,000 but I don't lose that much weight over calving, this year is different though. I'm trying to b careful with what I eat. So you can do 24,000 steps a day but if you don't eat right it won't make much difference
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,780 Member
    Options
    @ approximately 10000 steps a day you loosely match the baseline activity level of someone who could be classified, on that basis, as "active" on MFP

@ approximately 13000 steps you would loosely match the baseline activity level of someone classified, on that basis, as "very active" on MFP.

In order to achieve these numbers of steps in a typical North American day you will likely engage in either deliberate walking or deliberate running in such quantities that you will be exceeding the minimum recommendations for aerobic activity by the WHO as well as the UK and USA Physical Activity Guidelines for Adults 19-64

A quick rule of thumb is that walking at a moderate pace you will accumulate approximately 100 steps a minute. So 13000 steps represent a bit more than 2 hours of physical activity in a day.

Whether these goals are appropriate for you is a different story.

Furthermore, the impact of these physical activity goals on your weight will depend on the calories you consume.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It depends. Are you already walking somewhere around 8-10k? Then yes it's good. If you are currently walking, say, 2000 steps then 13k would be too fast too soon.