Cutting without losing muscle

Starting in October I'm going to start cutting I'm on track to weigh 180 by then. Right now I am 176 with 13-14% body fat. I'm doing a clean bulk with minimal carbs. When I start cutting I'm considering broccoli and chicken every three hours throughout the day with a 4-500 calorie deficiency and also whey protein isolate. My question is what supplements would be best to make up the nutrients I'm going to be lacking and is there a better diet that would minimize muscle loss and help get me lean any tips will be helpful

Replies

• Zealand4530
    Zealand4530 Posts: 180 Member
    How do you bulk with minimal carbs?
  • datlinstewart952
    datlinstewart952 Posts: 8 Member
    I should have clarified my carbs are from clean sources like quinoa oats and whole grain bread not from thinks like pizza and pastas
  • datlinstewart952
    Thanks for the input !!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    sijomial wrote: »
    Sorry but both your bulking and cutting routines sound absolutely miserable and totally unnecessary if not counter-productive.

For cutting:
    Eat regular foods but keep a good to high amount of protein (1g / 1lb of estimated lean mass is fine).
    Fat around 0.4g / 1lb of bodyweight as a minimum.
    Carbs don't stop you losing weight if you are in a deficit.
    You shouldn't need supplements if you eat an overall healthy diet.
    Meal timing has absolutely minimal impact compared to overall diet.

Train hard, drop volume, but not intensity, if / when your performance starts to suffer.
    Moderate deficit.

Why on earth are you bulking with minimal carbs? Really poor idea and a great way to spoil your gym performance, recovery and growth.

To had to this, a solid 3 day full body routine will be a very good place to start.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

Also, don't fall into the broscience of many bodybuilders who only use chicken and broccoli. You can eat a variety of foods (including pizza and pasta).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Sorry but both your bulking and cutting routines sound absolutely miserable and totally unnecessary if not counter-productive.

For cutting:
    Eat regular foods but keep a good to high amount of protein (1g / 1lb of estimated lean mass is fine).
    Fat around 0.4g / 1lb of bodyweight as a minimum.
    Carbs don't stop you losing weight if you are in a deficit.
    You shouldn't need supplements if you eat an overall healthy diet.
    Meal timing has absolutely minimal impact compared to overall diet.

Train hard, drop volume, but not intensity, if / when your performance starts to suffer.
    Moderate deficit.

Why on earth are you bulking with minimal carbs? Really poor idea and a great way to spoil your gym performance, recovery and growth.

To had to this, a solid 3 day full body routine will be a very good place to start.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

Also, don't fall into the broscience of many bodybuilders who only use chicken and broccoli. You can eat a variety of foods (including pizza and pasta).

Another vote for the advice from these 2 posts.
  • datlinstewart952
    Ha broscience that about sums it up. Thanks for the advice.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    And your new plan is....
  • datlinstewart952
    In progress. I work 60- 80 hours a week at a restraraunt so I have access to refrigeration. If I were to meal prep what would a perfect day look like.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Foods you love to your calorie surplus or defecit

Wide ranging diet, acheiving minimum protein and fat targets and assuring micro nutrient intake requirements are met

For me a perfect day would hit minimums of 100g protein, 56g fat, 35g fibre lots of brightly coloured vegetables, vats of coffee, cheese and include at least one bag of chips and one ice cream (at least)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Protein is muscle sparing and crucial in a caloric deficit. I would set protein to 1-1.2g/lb bodyweight, fats at 0.4g/lb then carbs as the remainder.