Crunches

Options
I started doing crunches last night. 100 last night 100 tonight. I do not hold my hands behind my head because I hear that is bad. My neck and back are hurting so bad from doing it.....Any tips to fix this? What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• cab2424
    cab2424 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I started doing crunches last night. 100 last night 100 tonight. I do not hold my hands behind my head because I hear that is bad. My neck and back are hurting so bad from doing it.....Any tips to fix this? What am I doing wrong?

• xrunner99x
    Options
    there are plenty of other types of abs exercises if those hurt your back...
    have you tried leg lifts or planks?
    they dont put strain on your back or neck but they still work your abs(:
    good luck!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if your neck and back are hurting real bad you may be doing something wrong or too much too soon.....rest and ibuprofen for now...if pain persists or gets worse go see a doctor.....be careful when doing new exercises...take your time....dont be afraid to ask before you try something
  • cab2424
    cab2424 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I am going to take a day or two off them try something else.
  • KatieEppers
    KatieEppers Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You should support your head with your hands, just don't pull your head up with your hands, make sure to pull from your abdominals. Also, if your lower back is really hurting, you could roll up a towel and place it under your lower back. You are supposed to take a day off between working out specific muscle groups. Hope this helps.
  • cbrooks66
    cbrooks66 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You may want to try standing crunches. Less strain on the back and neck. Same impact.
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I do modified crunches sitting on my exercise ball - still very effective - I'm still sore from yesterday :noway:
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    If you just started 100 is too much and it sounds like you are having trouble with your form. Get on youtube and watch some videos and try to get a good form. You can also start out smaller and work your way up by using www.twohundredsitups.com
    Take the day off! And kudos to you for being able to do that many.

Lynnie
    Who is kicking butt on the two hundred sit up challenge.
  • callme911
    callme911 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you are doing the crunched on a hard surface try adding a mat or some sort of padding underneath you. Also, you should support your head with your hands, just don't pull your upper body up. Let the abs do the work.

You also may need to try some different abdominal exercises to help strengthen those muscles and work towards the crunches without the pain and discomfort.

also try a site called www.sparkpeople.com and click on the exercise link. The site is a lot like this one but with a lot more features. They have short videos of all sorts of exercises and you can search by what level you are (beginner or expert) and what area of the body you are trying to work on. It is a GREAT tool!

I have gotten great exercise ideas for my quick breaks at work.

I guess it depends on the type of pain and discomfort you are feeling and where exactly.
  • BBCoachKel72
    BBCoachKel72 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the posts. Somebody may of already suggested this, but have you tried the exercise ball? That always seems to help! Good luck and keep it up...you'll have abs
    of steel in no time! :smile:
  • metalpalace
    Options
    First, doing a hundred crunches is a waste of time unless your end goal is to be able to do one hundred crunches. Doing that many doesnt really serve a functional purpose. Do fewer reps and include more exercises. More importantly, train your whole body holistically so you don't rob yourself of muscular symmetry. Otherwise you will be more injury prone and you will look funny. As far as neck pains, your form is probably bad or you have an orthopedic condition or both. Do the work with your abdominal muscles and look up when doing crunches. If you still hurt, try placing your hands on your chest when crunching.
  • saskia
    saskia Posts: 31
    Options
    100 crunches aren't a very useful goal I think. Do a lot less and do them very very slowly. Not just crunches but also move from sitting up to lying down and vv with your hand above your head for example. Or lie on your back and slowly bring one leg up and then make scissor movements till your lower leg almost touches the floort (and all sorts of variations on this). When done slowly and controlled this is great for your abs and won't hurt back and neck.

My pilates teacher says the neckpain just means your abs aren't strong yet.
  • cmdelux
    cmdelux Posts: 27
    Options
    I learned how to do crunches a few years back from the 8 minute abs video. One thing they stressed was to NOT pull up on your head with your hands (which will create neck and back strain). Instead, cross your palms over your chest and AIM YOUR CHIN TOWARD THE CEILING.
    This will prevent you from the tendancy to strain forward with your head as you sit up. Doing this really relieves the neck strain. Give it a try! Hope it helps. Also, I agree with a lot of the other posts - 100 crunches is way too many if you are just starting out.

109345.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter