Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Help!!! Body is changing and I don't get it!!!

Options
Hi I just started to bodybuild. Been lifting weights for a month now but the thing is I'm not slimming down, instead I see that my back has gotten wider my shirts don't fit from my chest area anymore!!! That's how I noticed my back is getting wider but I have noticed I've built muscles on my legs, butt, arms, and back, also good part is my tummy fat has gone down. I gained 1lbs and that freaked me out bc I'm eating clean and working out 6x/week. Am I doing something wrong? When will I slim down? Any advice will b helpful.
«1

Replies

  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain a noticeable amount of muscle in one month
  • LizXWP25
    LizXWP25 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain a noticeable amount of muscle in one month

    No I know I didn't gain that much muscle but I can see a difference in myself. But like I said b4 I got a bit wider from my back not too much but I can tell. Just confused as to why I'm not slimming down when I'm actually going hardcore on the weights.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Are you eating at an apropriate calorie deficit, eating back some of your exercise calories, and weighing your food on a digital scale?

    The lbs could be water retention because you are new to lifting.

    What routine are you following?
    Are you doing any upper back, lat specific exercises?

    Did you take before measurements?

    Cheers, h.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, you said you've started bodybuilding but you seem to be alarmed at increased muscle size (even if it's just from water retention). That's literally the whole point of bodybuilding, building muscle and increasing muscle definition.

    If you want to slim down, focus on your diet more than anything else.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Not seeing the problem!
    You want to bodybuild and you are getting bigger and so what's the problem?

    Eating clean means exactly what in term of calorie balance?
    You can eat clean (whatever that means to you) and lose, gain or maintain.
    Ditto working out 6 times a week.

    You will slim down following a prolonged period of calorie deficit but the trend may be masked by all sorts of factors including new exercise. Feeling sore? Then you will probably be retaining water.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    LizXWP25 wrote: »
    Hi I just started to bodybuild. Been lifting weights for a month now but the thing is I'm not slimming down, instead I see that my back has gotten wider my shirts don't fit from my chest area anymore!!! That's how I noticed my back is getting wider but I have noticed I've built muscles on my legs, butt, arms, and back, also good part is my tummy fat has gone down. I gained 1lbs and that freaked me out bc I'm eating clean and working out 6x/week. Am I doing something wrong? When will I slim down? Any advice will b helpful.
    LizXWP25 wrote: »
    Hi I just started to bodybuild. Been lifting weights for a month now but the thing is I'm not slimming down, instead I see that my back has gotten wider my shirts don't fit from my chest area anymore!!! That's how I noticed my back is getting wider but I have noticed I've built muscles on my legs, butt, arms, and back, also good part is my tummy fat has gone down. I gained 1lbs and that freaked me out bc I'm eating clean and working out 6x/week. Am I doing something wrong? When will I slim down? Any advice will b helpful.

    You're young 24 and even though you're female you just experienced newbie gains. In your case you most likely built muscle. This is why I always tell people expectations are not always reality, you may not like it but this is how your genetics played out. It doesn't mean it will continue but this is what happened. The scale can stay the same as muscle is built, even though body fat goes down. I'd stop worrying so much about the scale and be proud, you're doing it right!
  • LizXWP25
    LizXWP25 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Liz, I used to be wearing 32 waist pants and after a couple months of religious weightlifting they won't fit me. I currently wear size 35 but I don't look any big or burly. There is muscle in my lower body. I sized up my shirts too 14.5 to 15.5.

    OMG yes! My pants feels tighter and I didn't know why. I'm just new to this stuff and I'm really not used the changes my body is making. Still trying to understand what my body is going through. I just didn't expect to start seeing changes in my body right away. Thanks guys guess getting bigger isn't that bad.


  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You didn't gain a noticeable amount of muscle in one month
    This is such a wrong statement! Some people have superior genetics when it comes to losing weight and gaining muscle. Not everyone is the same, some people are small, some are tall. I had a friend that worked out 1x a week and was huge, me I have to work out 4x a week just to see results. Just because it doesn't happen to everyone doesn't mean it didn't happen! Not to mention the op is in her prime at 24. I also find it funny that when people talk about weight loss it's always water weight, and if weight is gained it's fat. This forum cracks me up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Newbie gains and some water probably.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,492 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting but was maintaining my chest widened too and my back and I had to buy new shirts lol. I didn't gain any weight but my chest area got bigger.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    You didn't gain a noticeable amount of muscle in one month
    This is such a wrong statement! Some people have superior genetics when it comes to losing weight and gaining muscle. Not everyone is the same, some people are small, some are tall. I had a friend that worked out 1x a week and was huge, me I have to work out 4x a week just to see results. Just because it doesn't happen to everyone doesn't mean it didn't happen! Not to mention the op is in her prime at 24. I also find it funny that when people talk about weight loss it's always water weight, and if weight is gained it's fat. This forum cracks me up.

    You what now?

    How much muscle do you believe you have to gain to make a noticeable difference from back to legs....and now how much would a genetically blessed female, with diet completely en pointe, perfect form and significant progressive overload be able to put on in one month?

    Double the general estimate? So 1lb, triple? So 2lbs?

    There is a reason the answer is constantly you didn't put on significant muscle in short time because no matter genetic disposition, training or nutrition there is a limit to how much muscle a human body can gain

    I will warrant that op is not completely top of everything in genetics, training or nutrition just by what she has said re her diet (lack of) and her understanding of training but she will probably be benefiting from newbie gains

    And in the month she has been training she will be experiencing water weight from new training as many have said

    Why don't you tell us what you think has happened here @Jcl81 I'm all for being educated and learning new things
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    You didn't gain a noticeable amount of muscle in one month
    This is such a wrong statement! Some people have superior genetics when it comes to losing weight and gaining muscle. Not everyone is the same, some people are small, some are tall. I had a friend that worked out 1x a week and was huge, me I have to work out 4x a week just to see results. Just because it doesn't happen to everyone doesn't mean it didn't happen! Not to mention the op is in her prime at 24. I also find it funny that when people talk about weight loss it's always water weight, and if weight is gained it's fat. This forum cracks me up.

    You what now?

    How much muscle do you believe you have to gain to make a noticeable difference from back to legs....and now how much would a genetically blessed female, with diet completely en pointe, perfect form and significant progressive overload be able to put on in one month?

    Double the general estimate? So 1lb, triple? So 2lbs?

    There is a reason the answer is constantly you didn't put on significant muscle in short time because no matter genetic disposition, training or nutrition there is a limit to how much muscle a human body can gain

    I will warrant that op is not completely top of everything in genetics, training or nutrition just by what she has said re her diet (lack of) and her understanding of training but she will probably be benefiting from newbie gains

    And in the month she has been training she will be experiencing water weight from new training as many have said

    Why don't you tell us what you think has happened here @Jcl81 I'm all for being educated and learning new things

    Do you even know what 1 pounds of muscle looks like? Especially on a frame with no prior muscle. It's actually a lot, and it's not unheard of for newbies to gain 1-3 pounds in a month. Then decrease to a normal average.

    Newbies gains are not bias.


    The real reason for the statement of "you didn't do this or that didn't happen" is often the person responding lacks knowledge all together, has not had it happen to them, or are plain out jealous because of their own insecurities and experiences.

    She will have water retention for sure, but not every weight loss or weight gain is water retention.



    "Why don't you tell us what you think has happened here @Jcl81 I'm all for being educated and learning new things."

    I'm pretty sure I already stated what has happened, you can go find my first post. Honestly, I think you need to explore what are newbie gains, and how common they're!

  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    You didn't gain a noticeable amount of muscle in one month
    This is such a wrong statement! Some people have superior genetics when it comes to losing weight and gaining muscle. Not everyone is the same, some people are small, some are tall. I had a friend that worked out 1x a week and was huge, me I have to work out 4x a week just to see results. Just because it doesn't happen to everyone doesn't mean it didn't happen! Not to mention the op is in her prime at 24. I also find it funny that when people talk about weight loss it's always water weight, and if weight is gained it's fat. This forum cracks me up.

    lol...superior genetics that made her turn into a beast in a month? don't think so. people have to work for MONTHS and YEARS to build muscular body....in one month she may have worked each muscle group a handful of times....she didn't even mention progressive lifting in her post...I'm with Sued0nim on this one!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    You didn't gain a noticeable amount of muscle in one month
    This is such a wrong statement! Some people have superior genetics when it comes to losing weight and gaining muscle. Not everyone is the same, some people are small, some are tall. I had a friend that worked out 1x a week and was huge, me I have to work out 4x a week just to see results. Just because it doesn't happen to everyone doesn't mean it didn't happen! Not to mention the op is in her prime at 24. I also find it funny that when people talk about weight loss it's always water weight, and if weight is gained it's fat. This forum cracks me up.

    You what now?

    How much muscle do you believe you have to gain to make a noticeable difference from back to legs....and now how much would a genetically blessed female, with diet completely en pointe, perfect form and significant progressive overload be able to put on in one month?

    Double the general estimate? So 1lb, triple? So 2lbs?

    There is a reason the answer is constantly you didn't put on significant muscle in short time because no matter genetic disposition, training or nutrition there is a limit to how much muscle a human body can gain

    I will warrant that op is not completely top of everything in genetics, training or nutrition just by what she has said re her diet (lack of) and her understanding of training but she will probably be benefiting from newbie gains

    And in the month she has been training she will be experiencing water weight from new training as many have said

    Why don't you tell us what you think has happened here @Jcl81 I'm all for being educated and learning new things

    Do you even know what 1 pounds of muscle looks like? Especially on a frame with no prior muscle. It's actually a lot, and it's not unheard of for newbies to gain 1-3 pounds in a month. Then decrease to a normal average.

    Newbies gains are not bias.


    The real reason for the statement of "you didn't do this or that didn't happen" is often the person responding lacks knowledge all together, has not had it happen to them, or are plain out jealous because of their own insecurities and experiences.

    She will have water retention for sure, but not every weight loss or weight gain is water retention.



    "Why don't you tell us what you think has happened here @Jcl81 I'm all for being educated and learning new things."

    I'm pretty sure I already stated what has happened, you can go find my first post. Honestly, I think you need to explore what are newbie gains, and how common they're!

    Uh yes. It is smaller than 1lb of fat and you won't see a huge change with 1 lb of fat. Maybe if it was all in one area.
    I also highly doubt OP had no muscle to start with..

    OP - as mentioned, it is likely mostly water retention in the muscles due to the new activity and a little bit of newbie gains. Keep going and you will soon see the leaning out if you are eating at a deficit.
    Also, people often mistake losing fat and revealing muscle with adding muscle. You may look more defined because of fat loss, not necessarily adding tons of muscle.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    You didn't gain a noticeable amount of muscle in one month
    This is such a wrong statement! Some people have superior genetics when it comes to losing weight and gaining muscle. Not everyone is the same, some people are small, some are tall. I had a friend that worked out 1x a week and was huge, me I have to work out 4x a week just to see results. Just because it doesn't happen to everyone doesn't mean it didn't happen! Not to mention the op is in her prime at 24. I also find it funny that when people talk about weight loss it's always water weight, and if weight is gained it's fat. This forum cracks me up.


    It never fails to amaze me how the people with these superior genetics who put on muscle so easily without even always seem to be the one who DON'T want to put it on...



    Also, who said it was fat gain?
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    You didn't gain a noticeable amount of muscle in one month
    This is such a wrong statement! Some people have superior genetics when it comes to losing weight and gaining muscle. Not everyone is the same, some people are small, some are tall. I had a friend that worked out 1x a week and was huge, me I have to work out 4x a week just to see results. Just because it doesn't happen to everyone doesn't mean it didn't happen! Not to mention the op is in her prime at 24. I also find it funny that when people talk about weight loss it's always water weight, and if weight is gained it's fat. This forum cracks me up.

    You what now?

    How much muscle do you believe you have to gain to make a noticeable difference from back to legs....and now how much would a genetically blessed female, with diet completely en pointe, perfect form and significant progressive overload be able to put on in one month?

    Double the general estimate? So 1lb, triple? So 2lbs?

    There is a reason the answer is constantly you didn't put on significant muscle in short time because no matter genetic disposition, training or nutrition there is a limit to how much muscle a human body can gain

    I will warrant that op is not completely top of everything in genetics, training or nutrition just by what she has said re her diet (lack of) and her understanding of training but she will probably be benefiting from newbie gains

    And in the month she has been training she will be experiencing water weight from new training as many have said

    Why don't you tell us what you think has happened here @Jcl81 I'm all for being educated and learning new things

    Do you even know what 1 pounds of muscle looks like? Especially on a frame with no prior muscle. It's actually a lot, and it's not unheard of for newbies to gain 1-3 pounds in a month. Then decrease to a normal average.

    Newbies gains are not bias.


    The real reason for the statement of "you didn't do this or that didn't happen" is often the person responding lacks knowledge all together, has not had it happen to them, or are plain out jealous because of their own insecurities and experiences.

    She will have water retention for sure, but not every weight loss or weight gain is water retention.



    "Why don't you tell us what you think has happened here @Jcl81 I'm all for being educated and learning new things."

    I'm pretty sure I already stated what has happened, you can go find my first post. Honestly, I think you need to explore what are newbie gains, and how common they're!

    Uh yes. It is smaller than 1lb of fat and you won't see a huge change with 1 lb of fat. Maybe if it was all in one area.
    I also highly doubt OP had no muscle to start with..

    OP - as mentioned, it is likely mostly water retention in the muscles due to the new activity and a little bit of newbie gains. Keep going and you will soon see the leaning out if you are eating at a deficit.
    Also, people often mistake losing fat and revealing muscle with adding muscle. You may look more defined because of fat loss, not necessarily adding tons of muscle.

    Oh, my bad it's only a little bit of newbie gains.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    You didn't gain a noticeable amount of muscle in one month
    This is such a wrong statement! Some people have superior genetics when it comes to losing weight and gaining muscle. Not everyone is the same, some people are small, some are tall. I had a friend that worked out 1x a week and was huge, me I have to work out 4x a week just to see results. Just because it doesn't happen to everyone doesn't mean it didn't happen! Not to mention the op is in her prime at 24. I also find it funny that when people talk about weight loss it's always water weight, and if weight is gained it's fat. This forum cracks me up.


    It never fails to amaze me how the people with these superior genetics who put on muscle so easily without even always seem to be the one who DON'T want to put it on...



    Also, who said it was fat gain?

    I think she meant it as being bulky, women tend to shy away from body building for that reason.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    You didn't gain a noticeable amount of muscle in one month
    This is such a wrong statement! Some people have superior genetics when it comes to losing weight and gaining muscle. Not everyone is the same, some people are small, some are tall. I had a friend that worked out 1x a week and was huge, me I have to work out 4x a week just to see results. Just because it doesn't happen to everyone doesn't mean it didn't happen! Not to mention the op is in her prime at 24. I also find it funny that when people talk about weight loss it's always water weight, and if weight is gained it's fat. This forum cracks me up.

    lol...superior genetics that made her turn into a beast in a month? don't think so. people have to work for MONTHS and YEARS to build muscular body....in one month she may have worked each muscle group a handful of times....she didn't even mention progressive lifting in her post...I'm with Sued0nim on this one!

    How do you even know that what she gained would take months and years to obtain? This whole post sounds like jealousy.
  • LizXWP25
    LizXWP25 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been progressing in lifting weights. I actually hired a trainer but unfortunately my trainer just moved to another city... Or else I've would've asked him what was going on with me, but I'm greatful my trainer taught me everything he knows in a month. I just didn't know if it was normal to bulk up at first then start to lose the fat. I don't think I gained fat at all. Maybe it's just that water retention bc if I'm honest I've never worked out at all. I'm actually excited to see myself bulk up with muscles. I know Rome wasn't built in one day so I guess I will just keep at it and just hope for the best.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    LizXWP25 wrote: »
    I've been progressing in lifting weights. I actually hired a trainer but unfortunately my trainer just moved to another city... Or else I've would've asked him what was going on with me, but I'm greatful my trainer taught me everything he knows in a month. I just didn't know if it was normal to bulk up at first then start to lose the fat. I don't think I gained fat at all. Maybe it's just that water retention bc if I'm honest I've never worked out at all. I'm actually excited to see myself bulk up with muscles. I know Rome wasn't built in one day so I guess I will just keep at it and just hope for the best.

    That's good that you're more excited now than when you wrote the post!

    You haven't really mentioned your calorie intake. You might want to check you're in a deficit if you're trying to lose fat.