Good Reads?

Options
Anyone have any good book recommendations?

I'm outta books that I haven't read and going to the used book store to stock up - suggestions?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yeah my suggestions are hit up some yard-sales and buy some cheap books by authors you don't know! Great introduction to new writers on the cheap.
    That said I bought out someones Anne McCaffrey collection 2 weeks ago, and this past week it was John Grisham... I'll never turn down a Matthew Reilly book or RA Salvatore.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Crossing to Safety-Stegner
    Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
    Anything by James Rollins
    Anything by Michelle Moran
    The Beautiful and Damned-Fitzgerald
  • bbear
    bbear Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm a book addict and I just read a page turner...'Before I Go To Sleep' by S.J. Watson. I really enjoyed it. If you decide to read it let me know so we can chat about it. Happy reading!
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    my BFF tells me I need to get the book "Hunger Games".......not sure of the author!
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I review science fiction novels, so if you like sci-fi then I can recommend a few good ones!

If you enjoyed Harry Potter, then try The Dresden Files series -- it is totally addicting and like a grown-up version of HP.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I recommend the following

The goddess summoning series by PC Cast
    The House of Night Series By PC Cast
    The Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris
    Angels and demons, The divinci code and The lost symbol by Dan Brown
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
    The count of monte cristo (unabridged) by alexandar dumas
    A painted house John grisham
    The splinter cell series Tom Clancy

Those are probably my fav's right now... especially the very first series... AMAZING!

EDIT: I just wanna give you the gist of the goddess summoning series. Its basically about the greek goddesses like athena, venus, persphone, udine etc, they take women out of the modern world and bring them to the greek realm of the gods to help them solve their problems, they are sort of a romance suspense novels and So incredibly unique... definately check them out. She has a website.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I just read all of the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris (the True Blood Books) and I'm completely hooked. If you told me a year ago I'd be so into a Vampire series, I would have called you crazy, but they are seriously addicting (and the show is awesome!)
  • daydreamer_28
    daydreamer_28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There is a site called goodreads.com, they have some pretty good ideas, I am a member of that site. Here are some good ones I have read lately. I like to read all types of books, my husband teases me when he looks at the bookcase and sees such an eclectic book selection. I love romance, mystery, historical fiction. Some of my favorite authors are Nora Roberts, Lisa Gardner, James Patterson, Catherine Coulter.. Is there anything in particular you are looking for?

The Historian by Kostova, Elizabeth
    The Book Club by Mary Alice Monroe
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
    The Samurai's Garden by Tsukiyama, Gail
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
    The Next Thing on My List by Jill Smolinski
    The Help by Stockett, Kathryn
    A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

I have heard The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series is good and The Hunger Games series is good too. This should get you started, if you need any other suggestions let me know! :smile:
  • daydreamer_28
    daydreamer_28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have read all the Sookie Books and they were addicting!
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    The Hunger Games trilogy is written by Suzanne Collins - I HIGHLY recommend them! So good!

I recently read "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies".. very sarcastic/enjoyable.. but I suggest reading the *real* "Pride & Prejudice" before haha.. also a good read!

I like fun reads by Sophie Kinsella (she wrote the Shopaholic series) and she wrote a few others. She goes by another name, Madeline Wickham, and those books are fun and good too. Emily Giffen is another good author for fun, girly stories.

Jodi Piccoult is always good.. page turners! My favorite is Nineteen Minutes and The Pact.

"Youth in Revolt" by CD Payne is HILARIOUS. Like, I could not stop laughing... so good. They made a movie but it's not great.

"It's Kind of a Funny Story" .. blanking on the author, but very good,interesting, thought provoking..

And my ULTIMATE FAVORITE - "Perks of Being a Wallflower" OMG amazing!!! :) HIGHLY RECOMMEND! :)Also a movie coming out :)

Ha, can you tell I like to read?? Just a little.... ;)

EDIT: I read the first 3 sookie stackhouse books.. very good! I stopped bc the friend I borrowed them from only had the first 3.. one day I'll read them all!
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    my BFF tells me I need to get the book "Hunger Games".......not sure of the author!

Amazing read! They are making them into movies too!
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Anything and EVERYthing James Patterson :love:

Edit: I agree with Hunger Games, Sookie Stackhouse, and I like Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan(even though they are found in kid's section of library; very good reads).
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    the Stieg Larsson trilogy:
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    The Girl who Played with Fire
    The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Yeah my suggestions are hit up some yard-sales and buy some cheap books by authors you don't know! Great introduction to new writers on the cheap.
    That said I bought out someones Anne McCaffrey collection 2 weeks ago, and this past week it was John Grisham... I'll never turn down a Matthew Reilly book or RA Salvatore.

awesome idea, I just bought a book for 50 cents at a garage sale, and I can't put it down. It's called "god is not great...how religion ruins everything"..it definitely gives you some insite. And I also bought "satanic verses" by Salman Rushdie, it's been banned in 4 countries, and people have been assassinated because of that book (Rushdie's interpreters, his agent, etc). I'm proud to live in a country that allows me to read what ever I want.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    couple more:
    Emily and Einstein by Linda Francis Lee
    Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin

The numbered series by Janet Evanovich - always entertaining and easy reads!
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    All I read is political non-fiction. If you are into that I can recommend some really good books.

I should probably add you wouldnt like my recommendations if you are a liberal pinko commie.
  • hotpot83
    hotpot83 Posts: 88
    Options
    `im 3/4 of the way through a book called Labyrinth by Kate Mosse... its bloody brilliant :) x
  • DaChozn
    DaChozn Posts: 134 Member
    Options

I recently read "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies".. very sarcastic/enjoyable.. but I suggest reading the *real* "Pride & Prejudice" before haha.. also a good read!

Speaking of zombies, pick up a copy of (or download for free on your e-reader from a library-or borrow from library) "Brains: A Zombie Memoir" by Robin Becker. I don't think I've laughed so much at a book in long time. It's a bit gory (hey, it's zombies from their perspective) but the tongue-in-cheek is so well done, you don't really care. It's also a good summer read because it's only 182 pages! :)
  • marindak
    marindak Posts: 168
    Options
    bump
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I totally recommend getting a Kindle---tons of free ebooks or .99 cent ebooks I check out on there--and all the classics are free! It's been an awesome investment and I discover lots of books that way.

I recommend the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books--even if they are YA--they just came out with another one. I second the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series and Water for Elephants as well :)