Alternatives to Coffee for caffiene

Options
So I can't drink coffee because it does nasty things to my stomach. However I also have to wake up at 5:30 or 6 in the morning. So instead I have some instant green tea that I drink if I have to go to class.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue and how they solve it.

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Diet coke. I drink more diet coke each day than I care to admit.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Caffeine pills. They're cheap. Screw the middleman.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Pepsi max
  • Tshaffer89
    Tshaffer89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Green tea! It's suppose to also help you lose belly fat.
  • JC77721
    JC77721 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Diet coke. I drink more diet coke each day than I care to admit.

Does it make you bloat? Just wondering.

OP, you coukd try caffeine pills, I used to take them and kept me awake but they nade mt heart beat faster so I stopped taking them. However, this is not an effect that everyone will have
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Yerba Mate is a tea that's a popular alternative to coffee for caffeine in some South American countries. It's pretty yummy! You can buy organic energy drinks made with it, as well.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Tshaffer89 wrote: »
    Green tea! It's suppose to also help you lose belly fat.

No it doesn't. ....green tea isn't magic
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    You could.. You know, go to bed earlier?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Is it the coffee causing the stomach issues? Or what you add to it? I had some issues when I increased my intake during college but when I switched out creamer for milk, they went away. Even now, if I have creamer in my coffee it makes my stomach and cuts very unhappy.

In any case, my partner recently found that coffee isn't good for his crohn's so he switched from black coffee to red rose tea (canadian brand) with milk.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Black tea has plenty of caffeine and is not as harsh as coffee can be.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    I like a nice Monster, personally.
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It's the coffee. I drink black coffee or add 2% milk, so there's nothing else that could be doing it.

I get to bed fairly early, but some days class doesn't let out till after 7, and I got an hour commute. That wears me out pretty bad.
  • meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I like Amino Energy from Optimum Nutrition.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I like regular tea, iced or hot... I am not big on green tea
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    So I can't drink coffee because it does nasty things to my stomach. However I also have to wake up at 5:30 or 6 in the morning. So instead I have some instant green tea that I drink if I have to go to class.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue and how they solve it.

Fix the issue that is causing you to be tired. I get up at 4:15, to bed at 10:00 and consume caffeine maybe once a week.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Relying on caffeine to wake up isn't great if you can avoid it.

That aside, my preferred alternative to coffee (which I drink too much of because I love it) is black tea.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I got some pure caffeine powder from bulksupplements.com and sometimes I'll throw some in a bottle of water or protein shake. You have to be very careful with it. A serving is 1/16th tsp, which is difficult to measure accurately (it's reccommended to use a scale that measures mg instead). And yes, people have died from it, mainly by trying to be cute and eating whole teaspoons of it at a time. It comes in a ziplock pouch, which I think is irresponsible. I spooned mine into childproof rx bottles and put it in a cabinet that even I can't reach without a stool.
  • kcrhodes85
    kcrhodes85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just pop 2 caffeine pills in the am and off i go
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I drink black tea daily, but I find that cold brew is fine for my stomach because it's not as acidic.
  • Jennellee
    Jennellee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yerba Mate is a tea that's a popular alternative to coffee for caffeine in some South American countries. It's pretty yummy! You can buy organic energy drinks made with it, as well.

I was going to say the same thing. Yerba Mate packs a caffeine punch and I drink cold and hot.