P90X Supplements + Nutrition Questions

Options
Hello again :) I've got 2 questions...

I'm interested in starting P90X Lean this August. I have the full P90X program in my basement because my mom got it and tried it out a while back. I don't have the supplements that are 'highly suggested' by the program, and I assume that's because my mom already had them when she was working through it.

1. I'm wondering if I can just substitute the P90X recovery drink and high protein bars for Whey Gold Standard protein shakes and high protein bars from the grocery store?

I'm 18 so I still live with my parents so I don't have much say in exactly what ingredients are in my food etc. I just eat pretty clean for the most part, and have what they have at dinnertime- just in moderation if it's not super 'clean'. *** EDIT: Forgot to add that my parents will NOT purchase the P90X recovery drink or bars. ***

2. Do I really need to exactly follow the Nutrition Guide for P90X, or can I just continue to use MFP and keep my 1 lb a week deficit?

I want to get the best results I can :)
Thanks guys, I love you all! <3

~Mae

EDIT: OOPS I think this should have been posted under Food and Nutrition....darnit, sorry guys, hope this topic still works for this forum :)

Replies

• LordRahl
    LordRahl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My friends family did the P90X (for 60 days) and did not use the supplements due to the cost of them for a family of six. They found the workouts alone allowed for significant weight loss and a total difference to how their bodies looked.

Hope this helps

R
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    1. No you can't. The Results and Recovery isn't a protein shake, it's a recovery drink. It uses 3 carbs to 1 protein to help your muscles regain the energy you expend during a workout.

2. You don't have to follow the meal plan exactly, but know that it's a designed program. You may not get the "typical" results if you stray from the program meal guide.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Hello again :) I've got 2 questions...

I'm interested in starting P90X Lean this August. I have the full P90X program in my basement because my mom got it and tried it out a while back. I don't have the supplements that are 'highly suggested' by the program, and I assume that's because my mom already had them when she was working through it.

1. I'm wondering if I can just substitute the P90X recovery drink and high protein bars for Whey Gold Standard protein shakes and high protein bars from the grocery store?

I'm 18 so I still live with my parents so I don't have much say in exactly what ingredients are in my food etc. I just eat pretty clean for the most part, and have what they have at dinnertime- just in moderation if it's not super 'clean'.

2. Do I really need to exactly follow the Nutrition Guide for P90X, or can I just continue to use MFP and keep my 1 lb a week deficit?

I want to get the best results I can :)
    Thanks guys, I love you all! <3

~Mae

EDIT: OOPS I think this should have been posted under Food and Nutrition....darnit, sorry guys, hope this topic still works for this forum :)

You can use MFP. As far as the protein shake. I would recommend the P90X one, because just a Whey protein drink is not going to have everything in it that the P90X shake does. Just my opinion.
  • jmecale72
    jmecale72 Posts: 214
    Options
    Hello!

It's not necessary that you use the products, but I HIGHLY recommend them, especially the Recovery drink. The recovery drink actually helps with the soreness you may feel after your workout...and it tastes pretty good too!

As far as the diet plan, if you want to lose weight, then follow the diet plan as close as possible. I have gone through one round of P90X and i didn't follow the diet plan too closely. I still lost 30 pounds, but I feel I would have lost more weight if I did follow the diet plan.

Good luck to you!
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    My fiance didn't follow the nutrition to the T and still lost 20 pounds along with a round of hip hop abs.

You can't substitute the recovery drink with "just" protein like Whey Gold Standard. The recovery drink is a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein and if you just substituted with Protein, you would be missing out on the carbs. However, you can add bananas, whole wheat bread, etc with the protein to get the right blend.

The protein bars can be purchased at the store. I used Marathon Snickers Protein bars but I have a whole stack of them left, not because they weren't good, but they aren't the best "protein" bars since they have a fair amount of carbs. During the phase 1 part, it is hard to hit the 50/30/20 ratios with the carbs in those bars.

I don't follow MFP suggested calories. I customize them for me and it seems to work for me.

Be sure to commit yourself to the workouts! There will be days you don't want to do them but stick with them and work through the soreness the first week and you will get the results!

Billy
  • RattieLove
    RattieLove Posts: 125
    Options
    Forgot to add that my parents will NOT purchase the P90X recovery drink or bars.
  • Deon918
    Deon918 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    im 18 as well and i do p90 and i use optimum %100 whey gold standard- double chocolate and i also dont follow the nutrition guide to a t . i just simply try to eat 6 small meals a day and so far ive lost 9 pounds so its working for me and you can check my diary as an example if you want to
  • CDeguc
    CDeguc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 rounds of P90X and didn't really use any supplements, but I was drinking Shakeology. The P90X nutrition plan is kind of hard to follow, especially if you probably don't do the grocery shopping. I would suggest just making sure that you get an adequate amount of caloric intake, especially protein, to insure the you have enough energy for the workouts everyday. You will pretty much get results as long as you stick with the workouts, but if you want the extreme results, the meal plan will help you out a lot more.

As for the recovery drink and protein bars, they are pretty yummy. I really like all of Beachbody's products, but they can be a little pricey. I haven't found anything that really measures up, but there are similar products that will do the job as well. I would just pay extra attention to the ingredients. My rule of thumb is make sure you can pronounce (or know) all the words on the ingredients list...that usually helps avoid crazy "filler" products.

Hope this helps! Add me if you need another motivating workout partner:0)
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    bump
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    Forgot to add, Low fat Chocolate milk is pretty close to the recovery drink ratios.
  • wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add that my parents will NOT purchase the P90X recovery drink or bars.

You can mix the Whey gold with Dextrose to get to the appropriate carbs to protein ratio. I personally use Optimum Nutrition's 2:1:1 recovery drink mixed with orange juice, water and glutamine for post workout and Whey Gold mixed with Almond Milk 1-2 hrs pre workout. There are other recovery drinks that are more reasonably priced at the link below. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/recovery.htm;jsessionid=04EBEA9C7A5801701A2E110157307FD1
  • apmemo
    apmemo Posts: 43
    Options
    Forgot to add, Low fat Chocolate milk is pretty close to the recovery drink ratios.

Lowfat chocolate milk is often used by runners too for recovery! And it's way cheaper! You could even add some protein powder to it for a shake if you wanted more protein.
  • RattieLove
    RattieLove Posts: 125
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all those super great super quick replies everybody!!
    And low fat chocolate milk!? no wayyyy I'll totally put that on the shopping list :))
    Thanks for everybody's 2 cents... I'll still have my protein shakes but not in replacement of healthy carbs, just for a protein supplement. That alright?
    And for protein bars, I did some research and found 'Luna bars'... all natural protein bars for women? Yes please :) Any thoughts? It's supposed to be like the female version of the cliff bar