Swimming Laps- does it work?

Options
I did it. I bought a Speedo and am about to embark on what I hope to be a body transforming journey in the pool.

I am wondering if anybody here has had success with swimming for weight loss. I was an avid hiker but have had a crippling case of Plantar Fasciitis and literally unable to hike since December of 2015 and have put on about 15 lbs. Even simple activities like grocery shopping is a challenge because of the pain. I was cleared to do the elliptical but I feel like I am not getting enough from it because I can only stand on my foot for 30 minutes.

So how long should I start swimming for?
Do I just start swimming until I can't anymore?
How long did it take before you started to see your body change and how did it change?
Is it really a full body workout?

I wanna be swim fit!

Thanks, looking forward to hearing your responses.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Exercise does burn calories, yes.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is created by being in a deficit and exercise is for health. Swimming sounds perfect for you. Plantar Fasciitis must suck.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great solution for cardio. Can you add any strength training to your routine too? Perhaps using machines at the gym to keep the weight off your feet.
  • G085H173
    G085H173 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    You will only lose weight by eating less calories than you use. Swimming is great for general fitness. I swim 2/3 times a week in Olympic size pool. Don't just go thrashing through the water, you'll get disenchanted. Concentrate on form/technique too. There's good YouTube vids for swimming technique. If you can, get a kick boArd and a figure 8 float gor between your legs. Use these to build power in your legs and arms, to concentrate on technique and work you like a you-know-what. You shouldn't leave the pool without at least a minor sweat on.
  • theresakruse48
    theresakruse48 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have horrible knees so land exercise is pretty much a no go. I do Aqua Aerobics and Aqua Jog...good low impact stuff, great calorie v urn and an all over body workout. We also use weights in the pool and that is great for toning muscles! Good luck on your journey. I have lost 53lbs since March 29th!
  • ponyvillalobos
    ponyvillalobos Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!! That's a lot of weight. Thanks for the reply, it motivated me!
    I have horrible knees so land exercise is pretty much a no go. I do Aqua Aerobics and Aqua Jog...good low impact stuff, great calorie v urn and an all over body workout. We also use weights in the pool and that is great for toning muscles! Good luck on your journey. I have lost 53lbs since March 29th!

• ponyvillalobos
    ponyvillalobos Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I will check out some vids!! I was on the swim team when I was a teen but nothing wrong with refreshing my tecnique! I started to gain wight after my injury from lack of activity, my diet didn't change. I just stopped hiking for 2 hours a day but continued to eat as if I were!
    G085H173 wrote: »
    You will only lose weight by eating less calories than you use. Swimming is great for general fitness. I swim 2/3 times a week in Olympic size pool. Don't just go thrashing through the water, you'll get disenchanted. Concentrate on form/technique too. There's good YouTube vids for swimming technique. If you can, get a kick boArd and a figure 8 float gor between your legs. Use these to build power in your legs and arms, to concentrate on technique and work you like a you-know-what. You shouldn't leave the pool without at least a minor sweat on.

• smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight swimming. I love it. There are so many things you can do in the pool. You can focus on legs, arms, abs, back, etc. I like to do 10-20 triceps dips at the end of the pool every 200 meters. For me, the downfall is that I am starving after I swim.

It may take awhile to build your endurance. Don't get frustrated if your exhausted after 10 minutes. Use a kick board to do a few laps of kick. Heck, doggy paddle is great on your biceps!
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Yup! Swimming is my cardio alongside my weights routine. Monitor your progress, maintain a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. Most importantly get your diet under control first!good luck
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you don't have to do any exercise. It's just a matter of eating less calories than your body Burns.

Now as far as the swimming. It's a great low impact total body workout. once you get into it you'll start to feel muscles that you thought you never had. There's a great website out there called 0 - 1650. it sets up a swim routine to go from 0 to a mile in 6 weeks.