Training for First Marathon and Calorie Intake

Options
Can anyone help me with ideas for balancing out calorie watching and preparing for my first marathon? I'm usually taking in 1340 calories on days I don't exercise. On days I exercise (I run 5, 7, 5, 13+ and some cross-training; two rest days), I *usually* increase that by 100-150 calories. For the first time in my life, I'm reaching high miles (for me) and it's getting tough! Today I did 14 miles-first time ever. It went okay, but I know I'm not eating right to prepare myself. I feel like my calories aren't high enough. For the past couple of weeks, the day before my longer run (that's currently increasing by two miles each Saturday), I'll eat more-maybe that's spaghetti, pizza (yes, pizza...). But I think I've got this all wrong (and I don't mean the choice to have a couple of pieces of pizza the night before I run 12-14 miles, although yeah - that too). I've read about carb loading and healthy fat loading....the day before all the way through 10 days before.... Can anybody share with me what YOU do? I'm starting to feel like I want to fuel my body as my primary goal for my race training and see what if any weight loss happens along the way. But yet I would like to shed some pounds! My ultimate goal is to lose 10 or so pounds, whether that happens as I train or otherwise. I appreciate any insight! I'm 5'4", 43F, 137 lb.

Replies

• Zealand4530
    Zealand4530 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'd start at 2000
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    When training for longer races, it isn't the best idea to continue in a deficit, or at least a big one. Some marathoners will even admit to gaining weight during training in attempt to fuel workouts.

Personally, I would eat at maintenance at the very least if you're starting to struggle. If you're feeling good, then maybe create a deficit just using the exercise calories, but I wouldn't even recommend that. I wouldn't purposefully create a deficit otherwise, but I personally do not do well doing any type of cardio on too low of calories. If you still end up with weight to lose, you can always deal with it after. But I would be focusing more on fueling for runs to feel my best for race day. But that's just my experience.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Do I understand this correctly, on days you run 13+miles you only eat 1590 calories? If you aren't starving after those days, then your logging is off.
    I'm also training for a marathon. On Tuesday I didn't eat enough before a 7 mile run (I had only ate 1000 calories the 12 hours before) and I have never felt so awful and terrible after a run. I ran 11 miles today and ate 3k calories and I felt great. I still feel hungry but I know I shouldn't eat anymore (distracting myself with MFP Hahaha)
  • Heather_71
    Heather_71 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking more about the day(s) leading UP to the long-run day (which I consider my Saturdays that are 10+ and now 14, 16, 18, etc.)...not so much the day of the run since I get out first thing in the morning. Once it's done, it's done and I'm fine. It's during the run that I worry about whether I'm fueling up properly. It's hard for me to think about eating more, which I know sounds crazy. But I need to do something, especially as I get into these longer runs. I know I'm not fueling enough. Hearing what other people have to say and what they do really helps. Thank you!