Fiber help

Options
Does anyone take fiber supplements? Since I upped my protein and cut carbs I had some problems using the bathroom so I recently tried to balance it with fiber supplements. However I'm finding myself very bloated and my stomach cramping since I started taking them. I don't know if it's just bc I never took them before and maybe my body needs to adjust or what. Any advice?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just eat more veg instead?
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Any food with fake fiber added or those fiber drinks make me feel bloated and uncomfortable...
    I suggest adding food that have natural fiber to your diet instead
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water with those supplements? Can't constipation occur with increased fiber intake when too little fluid is consumed with it?
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Beans, veg , literally all cereals. I end up eating like 3 times the fiber requirement
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Fiber adds bulk. Fat and water intake will help with lubrication, to be frank. I'd suggest incorporating mixed greens and spinach (easy to digest without too much bloating and high in fiber, or massage your tougher greens like kale). Also drink plenty of water!! And add some healthy fats - avocado, fish, even a small amount of nuts. And there's your salad!! Mixed greens, avocado/fish, lemon juice and a tsp of olive oil, chopped nuts and a few other things :)

Beans, raw broccoli, and other raw veggies can be harder to digest and cause bloating and cramps feelings upon digestion. Stick to easier veggies and cooked veggies until your situation improves.
    ~ from a long time IBS sufferer and lover of broccoli and kale
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    What has been echo'd, but honestly. If you're at the point where you want to supplement fiber, you're diet probably needs some adjustment. It doesn't matter if you're a high carb vegan, doing keto, or just iifym. You should always stay hydrated and try to consume some dark leafy greens every day, if not with most of your meals.
  • Alienique
    Alienique Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Every time I've tried a fiber supplement - with/without water/food - it's always ended badly for me. Since joining MFP, I've kept eyes on my fiber intake, and I've noticed that if I go over 20g (regardless of how much water I drink), I'm bloated and cramping the next day. I think it's just a matter of a sensitive stomach - in your case, it seems to be sensitive to added fiber only, so I would increase my natural fiber intake, and see if that doesn't help. Foods that are high in protein and low in carbs typically don't offer much in the way of fiber. You need fruits and veggies in your diet - if nothing else, they help with bathroom regularity.
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add - the only fiber supp I've ever had success with is Heathers - it's made for IBS and sensitive stomachs :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,481 Member
    Options
    AndiJH wrote: »
    Fiber adds bulk. Fat and water intake will help with lubrication, to be frank. I'd suggest incorporating mixed greens and spinach (easy to digest without too much bloating and high in fiber, or massage your tougher greens like kale). Also drink plenty of water!! And add some healthy fats - avocado, fish, even a small amount of nuts. And there's your salad!! Mixed greens, avocado/fish, lemon juice and a tsp of olive oil, chopped nuts and a few other things :)

Beans, raw broccoli, and other raw veggies can be harder to digest and cause bloating and cramps feelings upon digestion. Stick to easier veggies and cooked veggies until your situation improves.
    ~ from a long time IBS sufferer and lover of broccoli and kale

Good advice, based on my past IBS/C experiences. Also, exercise that moves the midsection helped me - I'm not necessarily talking pure "ab exercises" but anything bendy/twisty like some styles of aerobics/dance, maybe tennis, for sure rowing (my activity of choice), probably yoga/pilates, more.

The supplements were a curse, for me - made things worse. The water, healthy fats (nuts, avocados, olive oil, etc. in foods) - much more helpful.

It's possible that part of this is just your body getting used to lower food volume, too, if you never had the problem before. Also - and I don't know how to put this delicately, so I'll barge right in - don't delay or "hold it" if you feel you could go. Go when you have the urge or ability, but don't strain.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I wish I could just give you some of mine.
  • _annevalerie
    _annevalerie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I take metamucil
  • hgnatovskyi
    hgnatovskyi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!!! The only thing I drink is water and I do eat a lot of green vegetables. I think, as it was said above, I do have a sensitive stomach as I used to see a GI so instead of taking the recommended dose I switched to half and felt less bloating yesterday! I plan on adding some more raw fruit into my diet (haven't been eating bc carbs) to help with fiber and then maybe I won't need to supplement anymore. I think another problem was I went to high protein so quickly my body just wasn't adjusting. Was trying to break a plateau by cutting carbs but it hasn't been effective, just caused another issue.
    Thanks y'all for all the advice :)
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    There are a couple things I do for increased fiber.
    1 - Special K used to have protein water packets that were pink lemonade flavored. THey've quit making them - so I started making my own with Crystal Light and whey protein power and fiber powder I got from GNC. I add use enough of the 2 powders to get about 5g of fiber and 5g of protein. I put that into a 16 ounce bottle of water and shake well. That way I make sure to get the water in with the fiber to alleviate bloating some.

2. I get protein/fiber bars or clusters from www.healthsmartfoods.com. There are usually coupon codes at www.retailmenot.com. I like the pecan clusters and the triple chocolate fudge protein bars. Those have about 12 g fiber in them (1 bar or 2 clusters). The bars actually have protein in them - I tend to prefer those for that reason, but either way - I make sure to drink 16 ounces of water with it too.
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I will always stick to high carb low fat vegan diet. it's done wonders for me and everything from my skin to my poop has improved
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    brichards_ wrote: »
    I will always stick to high carb low fat vegan diet. it's done wonders for me and everything from my skin to my poop has improved

Glad it helped your BM, but now you seem to be suffering from a different kind of diarrhea.