coconut super food

Options
I've been researching alot about coconut lately and have found that it is an amazing nutritional food full of vitamines, medium chain fatty acids, and tons of antioxidents.

do you incorperate coconut into your diet?

I'm using it in a great coffee protien drink that puts a Starbucks Frapiccino to shame.

I'm also eating raw (fresh from the coconut) coconut meat as a way to help me quit smoking. A little bit of at a time, it takes a while to chew, it has GOOD calories that help me feel full, and the slight sweetness helps curb cravings for unhealthy sweets or salty chips.

Replies

• sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I love coconut!! I am now addicted to the cocount water. I should also break into the coconut on my counter.

And great job quiting smoking!! I can be done, I quit in 1994
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    I love coconut!!!! but i do not eat it often. I should research it more thanks for the idea :)
  • deborahmorris
    deborahmorris Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Interesting....
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    I have a recipe for my Shakeology that calls for it so I think I will try it. I can't wait! :happy:
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    search The Coconut Oil Miracle by Dr. Bruce Fife...
  • shelimac
    shelimac Posts: 12
    Options
    we always have coconuts at home, but i didn't know they are packed with nutrients. we cook our rice with coconut milk instead of just water and it gives it a great flavor. :-)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I use coconut water in place of butter. A little goes a long way. The only exception is when I have grits for breakfast, which sadly means I don't have grits often :ohwell: :cry: . I will also occasionally drink coconut water instead of gatorade, it's much better for you and doesn't have any artificial dyes. I have shredded unsweetened coconut if the freezer, but no idea what to make with it.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I've been researching alot about coconut lately and have found that it is an amazing nutritional food full of vitamines, medium chain fatty acids, and tons of antioxidents.

do you incorperate coconut into your diet?

I'm using it in a great coffee protien drink that puts a Starbucks Frapiccino to shame.

I'm also eating raw (fresh from the coconut) coconut meat as a way to help me quit smoking. A little bit of at a time, it takes a while to chew, it has GOOD calories that help me feel full, and the slight sweetness helps curb cravings for unhealthy sweets or salty chips.

ok, you had me at coffee, you woo'd me at protein drink......would you share this recipe?
  • mamara79
    mamara79 Posts: 20
    Options
    ok, you had me at coffee, you woo'd me at protein drink......would you share this recipe?

LOL! I just added it to my recipes! I call it Coco go-go Juice!!! It's super easy to make, and if you make the coffee the night before and set it in the fridge, it litterally just takes minutes to make. =)

I submitted it to the data base too.......but I think that needs approval.

I usually mix up one blender and just drink it thru the morning like coffee........it may seem high in calories and fat, but it's that coconut medium chain fatty acid taking up the saturated fat.........

here's a good article on the medium Chain fatty acids compared to the typical Long chains.
    http://www.nutritionreview.org/library/mcts.php
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    I use coconut water in place of butter. A little goes a long way. The only exception is when I have grits for breakfast, which sadly means I don't have grits often :ohwell: :cry: . I will also occasionally drink coconut water instead of gatorade, it's much better for you and doesn't have any artificial dyes. I have shredded unsweetened coconut if the freezer, but no idea what to make with it.

-Make pancakes with it
    -Add it to protein smoothies
    -Make protein bars
    -Add it to peanut butter and toast
    -Mix it with some chocolate
    -Mix with oatmeal
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I had some leftover light coconut milk in the fridge, so this morning I made oatmeal with the coconut milk, raisins, brown sugar, and a half of a teaspoon of cardamom. It was phenomenal! I am going to have it again with the remainder of my leftover coconut milk tomorrow morning!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    yes, yum! also, it is a natural way to help eliminate yeast. a teaspoon in coffee is very nice, and, on special occasions, I bake brownies with it instead of butter -- OMG!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I'm very curious about what form you are all using the coconut in. Is this all fresh coconut? Coconut water added to coffee? Or is this the canned coconut milk?
  • mamara79
    mamara79 Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm very curious about what form you are all using the coconut in. Is this all fresh coconut? Coconut water added to coffee? Or is this the canned coconut milk?

I use alot of the coconut milk. That's what I use in the shake.

do have a fresh coconut I beat the hell out of a few days ago and have been nibbeling on little peices at a time. It's helping w/ the hand-to-mouth habbit of smoking. It's great tho, cuz you have to chew it a lot like gum; & a little peice goes a long way. I get some nutrients and it's a healthy snack.
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I use virign coconut oil.
    - mix it in oatmeal
    - spread on graham crackers
    - in smoothies
    - in coffee/tea
    -on my face/body/hair
    -for frying
    -in baking
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    has anyone tried coconut butter? It is supposed to be delish. It is the flesh of the coconut that has been blended until smooth. I think it is solid at room temperature and that it melts easily in the microwave. I wanna get some!