My favorite cooked salsa recipe (I'm a salsa FANATIC!)

Options
ryantufo
ryantufo Posts: 4 Member
***NOTE*** We leave out the cumin and add lots more hot peppers (habanero, fresno, jalapeno, and the like). The cumin is good but 2 tsp was too much. Also, we do NOT can this salsa and usually let it simmer for an additional 10 minutes before removing from the heat. (sometimes longer to make sure the veggies are softened up)

Tufo’s Salsa (a variant of Annie’s Salsa, see below)

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 ½ cups chopped onion
1 ½ cups chopped green pepper
3 – 5 chopped jalapenos
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints.

Makes 6 pints

Source, this person: http://www.gardenweb.com/auth/nph-logincheck.cgi?action=public_profile&user=annie1992

Replies

• UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    :smooched: :love: pints and pints of salsa - thanks for posting!
  • change_happens
    Options
    I love salasa with just about everything! Even on my grits :-) thanks for sharing this recipe. I am wondering of it will taste just as good wothout the cilantro... I have an allergy to cilantro. Thanks!
  • ryantufo
    Options
    I honestly think it will! Without the cilantro, it will taste more like Pace salsa (which I LOVE!)

Definitely try this, it's super easy! I'd love to know what you guys think.

Also, for the tomatoes, I think about 4 pounds of Roma tomatoes will get the job done for the 8 cups, but I'd still measure it into something. :)
  • pizzygirltx
    Options
    bump i LOVE salsa!
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Years ago I worked in a Mexican Restaurant here is the recipe we used, of course we made it in 50 gallon barrels lol!!! So these are the ingredients, you may need to add more or less until you get the right consistency. Everyone loves my salsa!!! :)

Salsa

2 cans whole tomatoes
    3 or 4 roma tomatoes (diced)
    1/2 onion (diced)
    cilantro 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped
    pickled jalapeno peppers 4 or 5
    3 cloves garlic
    worcestershire sauce 1/4 cup
    salt 1 or 2 tsp.
    cumin 1 or 2 tsp.

In a blender puree tomatoes, garlic, and jalapenos. In a large bowl, place chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro, worcestershire sauce and spices. Stir in tomato mixture. Taste to see if you need more salt or japs. This makes about 2 quarts.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I have a bevy of tomatoes this year and I've been thinking of canning some as well as making some salsa. Thanks for posting this. I'm tempted to try it with some of my green tomatoes and make it a salsa verde.
  • ryantufo
    Options
    @claudiandw thanks for sharing your salsa recipe! I will be trying that! Also, you might post it in it's own thread, since most people will look there for recipes?
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    @claudiandw thanks for sharing your salsa recipe! I will be trying that! Also, you might post it in it's own thread, since most people will look there for recipes?

Thanks, Ryan I will do that.