groceries on a college budget

Options
So it's my first summer on my own away from home, no meal plan from my school, and grocery shopping is all up to me using my own money. I am trying to save a lot of the money I am earning this summer for books, supplies, etc so obviously I try to be frugal when it comes to grocery shopping. I definitely don't stock up on cheap Ramen or mac 'n cheese, instead I have been proudly spending a good amount on all healthy food. My problem is I know I am probably not eating enough calories. Daily servings of fruits and vegetables don't necessarily add up, and I am trying to limit my carbs to the healthy amount. Because of this I barely make 1200 a day. I am trying to lose weight and also make my food last. It's even worse when I go to work out because I don't want to eat back my burned calories and would rather save the food for the next day- which I know isn't right. Suggestions / advice anyone? Affordable ways to add on calories that are still nutritious? Much appreciated !!

Replies

• wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Shakeology :) YUM!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    nuts and peanut butter are calorically dense and healthy. So is guacamole. So is dark chocolate :bigsmile:
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, canned beans, whole wheat pastas, brown rice, have this stuff in your house and look through flyers to see where stuff is on sale. I switch stores when the chicken breast goes on sale.
  • LyssaMarie13
    Options
    Agree with what the others are saying... Also you can add butter on your toast and just different things like that! : )
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Do you have a Wonder Bread or Snyders outlet store? If so, that's a good place to get the expensive whole grain breads and english muffins at a discount.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Beans and rice. Doesn't get much cheaper than that. I try and make a big pot of beans on Sunday and then eat them throughout the week with stuff. Buy some tortillas, some sausage, taco shells, etc and you've got it. You can make burgers out of black beans and garbanzo's. Shop what's on sale at your local store and search online for name brand stuff for coupons. Also shop a farmers market or if you have Sunflower Market or sprouts for veggies and fruit. Buy only what you will eat in a couple days so they don't spoil.

You can make a salad with ramen and cabbage that's pretty good. :)

Have you tried searching the web for cheap/healthy/foods on small budget? I'm sure someone somewhere has posted some other ideas.

Oatmeal is cheap.

You will become more creative as you get more information. Use your local library for other resources.

Good luck
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Veggies, Veggies, Veggies - And Fruit! TONS of Fruit! Go shopping for them every two-three days, it keeps them fresher. Get a couple of apples, peaches, pears... bananas, etc. Change it up every time, so you don't get bored. But fruit & vegetables are among the cheapest things to buy.

If you're looking for nuts or dried fruit, check out a bulk food store - great source of protein, great prices... buy in bulk. And invest in some tupperware - or rubbermaid if you can't afford it. It keeps nuts fresh longer.

Good luck in your studies!

Aimée
    - Fellow Student, with a bar fridge.... lol :bigsmile:
  • kw2s
    kw2s Posts: 16
    Options
    Try to coupon a bit. Driscoll's offeres coupons on their berries, Cascadian Farm has coupons for frozen fruit and veg, and Whole Foods has some great coupons for pantry items.
  • pluac
    pluac Posts: 1
    Options
    If there is a farmer's market near you, I find i can get fresh local produce alot cheaper there. Try to buy staples in bulk-oatmeal, cereal,beans, pnb, tuna. Freeze bread, etc and take out only what you need. Waste not , want not. Good luck!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If there is a farmer's market near you, I find i can get fresh local produce alot cheaper there. Try to buy staples in bulk-oatmeal, cereal,beans, pnb, tuna. Freeze bread, etc and take out only what you need. Waste not , want not. Good luck!

Also, soups and chili's help to stretch my budget. They're also something that you can freeze half in a ziploc bag and when things are really tight you already have food around.