Is it worth it?

Options
To get a Fitbit Flex?

Replies

• samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you plan to use it. I don't think it's worth it for myself but that doesn't mean others don't find it extremely useful. What type of benefits are you expecting to gain from it and how do you plan to use it?
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if it will give me a more accurate calorie burn number. I'm not sure how much I burn all the time. And so I'm starting a new exercise routine, and I'm unsure if the estimated numbers are correct. Although, I'm also aware that a fitbit isn't 100% accurate.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    The flex isn't great. I had a charge, which I lost when it popped off my wrist, so replaced it with a charge hr which is less dainty, but I do find the heart monitor useful.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I feel that a Fitbit is a much more accurate tool than the MFP exercise database. I lost my 20lbs from following the calorie goals set by MFP and Fitbit together. It might take some tweaking of numbers to find the correct deficit, but I'm not sure I would be as successful without my Fitbit.

However, I will say that the Flex was one of the more failed models due to issues it had. I don't know many that did not end up replacing at least once, but that is just my personal experience. Make sure to really research that it is the right one for you.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have a charge hr and found it to be very helpful. When I first got it, the first little while I didn't find the readings very accurate but they seem to have gotten far more accurate as time has gone on, especially after the first few weeks as I wear it 24/7 and only take off to charge while I shower (or if I'm swimming). I trust the burns 90% of the time now (had it since February). Still losing consistently at .5-1lb per week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if it will give me a more accurate calorie burn number. I'm not sure how much I burn all the time. And so I'm starting a new exercise routine, and I'm unsure if the estimated numbers are correct. Although, I'm also aware that a fitbit isn't 100% accurate.

Nothing is 100% accurate... whatever you use, fitness tracker, machines, mfp, you still need to get real world data from logging your food, exercise and changes in scale weight.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Nothing is 100% accurate... whatever you use, fitness tracker, machines, mfp, you still need to get real world data from logging your food, exercise and changes in scale weight.

This. Nothing is 100% accurate, the key is to pick one and look at the trend over time. If the current point is closer to your goal than the starting point you should be good to go. BTW, I use a fitbit charge HR and I love it!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Apparently I need lessons in quoting...
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    :lol:
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR synced with MFP. The calorie burn seems to be about dead on based on my rate of loss.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    I have a charge hr and found it to be very helpful. When I first got it, the first little while I didn't find the readings very accurate but they seem to have gotten far more accurate as time has gone on, especially after the first few weeks as I wear it 24/7 and only take off to charge while I shower (or if I'm swimming). I trust the burns 90% of the time now (had it since February). Still losing consistently at .5-1lb per week.

Exactly this! I'm very visual, so seeing the activity i'm doing on my Fitbit versus just doing it, made me go from someone sedentary to being in the top 95% of people at that activity level. I mean, talk about game changer!
  • hernandezj103
    hernandezj103 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    It helped me in my journey, and I lost 40 pounds using it. Last week i upgraded to the charge HR.
    Good luck!

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One. My FAVORITE thing about it is the chart showing calories in vs. calories out. As long as my calories in are less than calories out, I lose weight. That's the one thing I've been able to count on.
  • babypunkprincess
    babypunkprincess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex. For about 2 weeks now and love it! I love having my steps synced up. Eventually I'm going to upgrade but for now for daily life the flex is great!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I use a Blaze. If nothing else, I've found it pretty awesome to watch the difference in my heart rate, depending upon which lifts I am doing at any given time. Squats and deads, I'm up to 80%+ peak rate. Rows, about 70%. Benching? Barely higher than just sitting here at my PC typing.
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had the Flex for 2 years then just got the Alta. I like looking at data and I'm in competitions everyday with my friends to see who takes more steps which makes me move more. I love mine!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit Alta, I didn't think they made the Flex anymore.

I'd be totally lost without it, I don't make a move without it attached to me :lol: It is a great motivator for me, when i first got it i was averaging around 3000 steps a day and now i aim for 20,000 . I also love seeing my calories on mfp go up throughout the day, even though i only eat back a max of 50% of them because my fitbit overestimates.
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I found the Fitbit to be a great starting tool. Something to keep me focused and motivated. I don't use it much now after a couple years in, but it was definitely worth the investment imo because it helped me get a better sense of my activity level. Every now and then I'll dust it off just to check-in. I got mine on sale too so it was easier to rationalize.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I have a zeroner. $30 works well
  • 76thrasher
    76thrasher Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitnit Charge which is great for immediate feedback on behavior(steps, activity, sleep, and water tracking).
    However, when I work out (walking and running in the neighborhood) I also use the 'Walk my Run' app which I feel is more accurate as it factors in pace, elevation and distance (based on GPS rather than just steps).
    Both sync into MFP giving me what I've presumed to be a fairly accurate record of my activity vs calories.