Lima beans!

Options
I love lima beans and yesterday on my trip to the farmers market I found fresh from the garden limas, still in their pods. Spent some time in front of the tv last night shelling beans. Anyway now I have about 2 pounds of freshly shelled lima beans and I a wondering if anyone has a great recipe that I can use them in. It seems a shame to jsut boil them and have them the usual way with salt and pepper and a dab of butter.

Replies

• melodyesch
    melodyesch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The salad bar at my work has them on it. I thought that was strange but they are really good added onto a salad.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    melodyesch wrote: »
    The salad bar at my work has them on it. I thought that was strange but they are really good added onto a salad.

Nice idea. That goes into the plain boiled category since eating raw lima beans is never a good idea. Turns out they contain cyanide which is released as gas when they are cooked. The ones you find in a restaurant are most likely canned and so have been cooked.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,968 Member
    Options
    Just had lunch today at an Indian restaurant. There was a delicious lima bean and potato curry. I just Googled "lima bean and potato curry", and a number of recipes came up. :)
  • PKM0515
    Options
    Another idea: succotash. I rarely have it, but like it a lot. Google provided a numer of recipe variations.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a nicely cooked lima with salt, pepper, and butter! I'm jealous...fresh limas are hard to come by. They are one of my favorites!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    They sound like the perfect swap for edamame in my edamame/mushroom risotto! I soften onion, garlic, celery in a little butter, add arborio rice, apple cider vinager and lemon juice, stock (or bullion cube+boiling water), freshly chopped mushrooms and beans, salt, pepper, and a little grated parmesan. One of my favorite dishes :)
  • localatte
    localatte Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Lima beans are so smooth, you can make hummus with them, instead of with garbanzos. Also, there are tons of different soup recipes.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    Just had lunch today at an Indian restaurant. There was a delicious lima bean and potato curry. I just Googled "lima bean and potato curry", and a number of recipes came up. :)

This sound great. I just need to remember to pick up some cocconut milk. It isn't something I keep on hand. :)
  • LannyMixon
    LannyMixon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Not that I have any idea how to make it but if you are into Indian you can also make a Dal with them. Maybe you can find something online.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »

This sound great. I just need to remember to pick up some cocconut milk. It isn't something I keep on hand. :)

It was wonderful, and very unexpected. I hope you'll post if you make it. :)
  • PKM0515
    Options
    Lots of good ideas! I never would have thought of risotto, which I love.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew a better way to cook them, but it seems like cooking beans like beans is your best bet. Then add them to stuff. You will make all your school cafeteria ladies happy. :)