Half mathon - 13 weeks out...

Options
Really kicking up the training. I completed it last year, but only ran 5 - this year I hope to run the whole thing. Haven't done more than 8 miles since completing it last year. I'll make it, though!

Replies

• margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it!!!
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    My half marathon is also 13 weeks out as well! Cheers! :)
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    you will do great!!! Longest I had walk/jogged was 6 miles and I finished my 1/2 in 2;56 :happy:
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Im considering doing a 1/2 marathan on my birthday (Nov 13th). I am soooo excited! I am planning a 11 mile run on Saturday. Wish me luck!
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Mine is... OH CRAP! it's 9 weeks out!! I am terrified, but we are all gonna rock it! :D
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    you can do it!
  • shelimac
    shelimac Posts: 12
    Options
    my half marathon is in 6 weeks; its my first and i am a little nervous....the goal is to run 8 or 9 :-). do you have any advice for first timers?

Good Luck to everyone training for there 1/2 marathon!!
  • Pinocchio1977
    Pinocchio1977 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! Remember fuel and liquid for your longer runs to keep those muscles loose and energized! I like to use the little gel packs every 45mins - seems to work out quite well!
  • agibsonky
    agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    As far as advice for first timers...I got MAJOR blisters on my first one. I had been getting them during training, but I got the double layer blister block socks and vaselined my feent and thought I'd be OK...I wasn't. The last 3 miles were very painful and greatly slowed my time. Turns out, I needed different shoes. I'm apparently an over-pronator and needed shoes to correct that. Not a single blister since getting the correct shoes, even on long runs (of course I haven't done another 13 miles, but I don't get hot spots any more, either). So that is my word of advice. At least a few weeks before so you have time to break them in, GET GOOD SHOES!
  • tmhagedorn
    Options
    Congratulations and good luck to everyone doing a 1/2 marathon this year. Training for my first one in October. I say "What an accomplishment", hang in there you will all do great!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    You can do it... You have plenty of time.

Ever try Hal Higdon's plan.... It is what I have always used for any distance race. I find that having a set plan helps me keep up with my goals and it helps me to train so I can run the whole distance. GOOD LUCK!

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm
  • agibsonky
    agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm using the iphone half marathon trainer app this time - I just flew by the seat of my pants last time.