Any Brides/Grooms to be?

Options
Hey guys,
I am coming back to MFP after having gained roughly 35 pounds the past two years.
In 2012 I utilized this platform daily to log my food/workouts. I have had trouble finding the motivation to begin, and stick to a regimen for the past 2 years.
My wedding is coming up April 2017, but engagement photos are next month.
I'm terrified of the photos, because self esteem has really plummeted with the weight gain.
If anything I would like to lose at least 5-10lbs before then - in order to feel like I'm making an effort.
Anyone else going through the wedding, engagements, etc. please comment, let's bounce some ideas off each other!

Replies

• musicathy
    musicathy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Your engagement photos and my wedding dress alterations are happening around the same time (I'm also hoping to lose 10 in the timeframe). Congrats btw!

I did my engagement photos in May and had the same anxiety. But remember, your fiancé loves you as you are, and confidence is sexy no matter your size. Wear something you feel comfortable in. Don't veer outside of your comfort zone too much- just jazz up your typical outfit. I added some shape wear for a little extra boost of confidence but at the end of the day, if you let loose and have fun you won't even notice what you consider to be flaws. All you'll see is a happy couple and your beautiful smiling face.
  • AngieOrangy
    AngieOrangy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks Cathy!
    Anxiety is the exact word to use in my case. I know it's silly but I'm more worried about people who will see the photos. Sending those on the Save-the-date cards, wedding website - so I think that's why I'm so anxious about my weight.
  • musicathy
    Options
    I guarantee all they'll see is happiness too! Others rarely see what we see when we're criticizing our look.
  • HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My wedding is also going to be in Spring of 2017! The way I see it, this gives me a lot of time to to make great progress and a fantastic motivation to really push myself. I'm really excited about all of the possibilities.
  • nclphillips
    nclphillips Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Same! My wedding is in June 2017! I've lost 8 lbs in the past week. All because of meal prepping and exercise! Eat foods that don't make you bloat and drink lots of water!
  • AngieOrangy
    AngieOrangy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married in December so I've got about four full months to really work out and get the body of my dreams before the big day lol. We skipped in engagement photos (we're getting married in another city and we got a huge discount on our wedding photog fee for not getting them done) because to be honest for me, I don't see the point. I'll have professional photos done on my wedding day, I don't need two sets of essentially the same thing (plus we're both shy - it's bad enough we have to do it once).

My dress is sleeveless (it has thin spaghetti straps on it) so I'm really hoping that by working out regularly I can have toned arms on my wedding day. That's my main goal!

Hey Megan,
    I understand the photo thing as well, also thought about forgoing them (too late deposit paid now).
    Are you just starting as well (like me), or have been working out for a while?

• walpy27
    walpy27 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My engagement photos are next Tuesday! Wedding is in May 2017.

Set myself a lofty goal to hit by then!
  • musicathy
    Options
    Angie, you'll enjoy the engagement photos. As a plus size bride I did it to see how the photographer posed me/us. Some have this "oh well that's just your body" attitude and others are really thoughtful in positioning to flatter your best features (so glad ours was the latter). You'll also learn some tricks for your wedding to enhance the look of your body and get amazing photos. It's also great to build the rapport with the photographer because they'll be with you all day on your big day - it's better when it's not a total stranger! Plus after you see your engagement photos you can say "oh I didn't like the poses where you got me at a side angle, can we do less of that" (or whatever you prefer). It was worth every penny for the comfort for the wedding day.
  • Fi_Ry14
    Fi_Ry14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm proposing to my girl friend in a few weeks. I'm going to be meeting her whole family in Puerto Rico. Really trying to lose some weight before than. I'm a firefighter and stay pretty active but I'm really trying to hit the weights hard and look my best before proposing. Her mother and I have already planned an engagement party for after the proposal. But I'm still super nervous about getting the weight I want to be by then because ofcourse there are going to be tons of pictures, but staying the course with my goal in mind!
  • Tracieisfitastic
    Tracieisfitastic Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married in October 2016. I did my engagement photos in May. I'm hoping to lose 10 pounds by then and to tone up since I'm relatively thin. Congrats everyone
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My wedding is sept 23 ! Its so close i could easily freak out just for the hell of it! I didnt get on mfp for my wedding though. I did it for sheer vanity and the love of feeling strong and lean.. However my fiance is freaking out a little. Shes very attractive so im not sure why but i guess its her right as the bride to want to be skinny on her day.good luck to all of you.
  • charley_pop
    charley_pop Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm getting married June 2017 and hitting the gym and being mindful of what I eat. I found my dress in March and it was a little big in most areas, a smidge tight across the hips... Tried my dress on last week when it arrived and it was too tight across my hips which upset me. I'm back on my 4-5 day gym routine (weights and HIIT) and hoping to be back to my goal as I was last year!! I'm sure your engagement shoot will be lovely!! :)
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Im getting married September 10th.....eek not long now!!

I've lost 20 lbs so far....would love to lose another 15lbs before the big day
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your engagement! I'm not engaged but going to be a MOH at my best friend's wedding. I've lost 59 pounds so far. Not really much left to go other than some more recomp. My main concern is everyone potentially being annoyed by my vegan gluten-free foods, cakes, snacks, etc. Every wedding I remember going to during childhood, almost everyone went after the hot dogs and burgers, ice cream, regular cake, crackers and cheese, chicken wings. Not that I'm trying to control them but some people find my WOE boring/lame/tasteless lol. I disagree.