Running: Shin pains

Options
Hi there, okay so I have started running, been going for about two months now (on and off). My biggest issue being my shins, sometimes they are fine, other times I actually have to walk home in pain, it is sooooo freaking frustrating. I know my shoes are fine, I've even added extra padding. I've tried compression sock - no difference. Any one have advice? I really enjoy running, when it's pain free, and would like to continue doing it.

Replies

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    There's other factors beyond shoes and socks like your biomechanics or a muscle imbalance. I would try foam rolling and see if it helps!

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Did you actually get fitted for running shoes? I am questioning adding your own padding, because that can sometimes do more damage than good when you don't know if it's necessary or depending on your stride/gait. Most recommend getting fitted because they analyze quite a few things.

Did you go all in, or did you increase gradually? Shin splints are often due to taking on too much at once, and are common in beginners because of this. If you haven't, using an app like C25K is a good program for beginners.
  • shazi89
    shazi89 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have confirmed that my shoes are suited to my gait, including the extra padding. I have started slowly, not even doing a 5k without walking. My shins even ache when walking at a fast pace. I have been told that it's due to wearing high heels in the past, I started wearing heels at a young age, and there for my shin muscles are too short ((how true this is, I don't know)).
    I will try the foam roller thank you!
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I had really bad shin pains when i started running. What I found helped was deep heat before i run and deep freeze after. When I started doing c210k and running to a programme with rest days that helped. I initially just went on in there but by week 5 of c210k my pains have gone (week 8 now and no pains at all).

best advice is take it slow, if you hurt, don't run rest.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    are you stretching enough?
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Shin pain is a serious issue. The only thing that helped me was t asking a week off. Then I only ran in soft ground. It is an injury caused by impact, you should listen to your body and rest. How long do you run, could you be running too fast?
  • tnewflash
    tnewflash Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Shin pain usually means shin splints, that can mean stress fractures. When I first started running I had intense shin pain because I was over pronating causing torsion in my knees and hips. I was in the exact same situation as you. I had to walk because it was so painful. You have to allow the fractures in your legs (if you have any) and shin muscles to fully heal. Otherwise it'll be along time until they get better. I took off a couple weeks and when I started up again I paid close attention to my running form. After that I was fine. Your body has to ease into running especially if it's not used to it. It's a transition process and if you go too fast too soon you'll injur yourself

Since then I can run 5k's no problem and usually do it within 25 minutes. I've also been transitioning to Vibram five fingers which feel amazing
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are usually indicative of doing too much too soon. While, yes you may have more issues than some because you wore high heels from a young age, that doesn't necessarily mean they are a foregone conclusion or you should power through them. My sister always wore heels, to the point that she has horrible bunions now, but she's been running marathons and shorter races for the last 8 years or so without shin pain.

The fact that you stated "I have started slowly, not even doing a 5k without walking. " leads me to believe that you started out running too much. Beginning runners don't start out running 5K, with walking or not. If your body isn't used to the stress that running puts on it, you end up with injuries. Have you checked out any of the beginning running programs? Most of them start off with your running one minute then walking for several and slowly building up running time and distance over a period of 9 weeks. You run very slowly and you only run every other day. If you've been running longer, more often and without many walk breaks you've probably overdone it.

I'd suggest taking a week off and letting your shins heal. Foam rolling may help, it may not. Icing helps. After the week, start a C25K program and follow it to the T. No running two days in a row, no running for longer than the program states. Yes, it might seem easy but it should also help to keep you injury free.
  • Timothyh27
    Timothyh27 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Careful with your shins, I had shin splints from doing too much sport when I was younger. Build up your bone and muscle strength in your legs and body gradually. :smile:
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I get them too...Like you, I had shoes professionally fitted...I've had a running gait analysis done so I know it's not a mechanical issue. I've been running for over 2 years. I get stress fractures regularly and then I'm out of commission for 8 weeks. I know they were stress fractures because I had bone scans done. I don't get like 1 stress fracture. I get multiple up and down both tibias. I've had my vitamin D and calcium checked. Both were on the low end of normal, but in normal range.

What I've determined is:
    1. I can't do hard surfaces. I love to run on the road, but it breaks my bones.
    2. I can't run more than a 5k twice a week. I used to go 5 days a week, but it breaks my bones.

I'm hoping that maybe my issues with brittle bones could be due to having kids. I'm older and I've had 2 kids in the past 5 years and am pregnant with my 3rd now. I started running about a year after #2 was born. I ate like crap with him due to food aversions. No where close to the protein or calcium I should have had. I'm not a medical professional, but I feel like this is a big part of my issue. I'm hoping now that I'm off running and just walking and that I'm eating much more protein and calcium things will get right after #3 comes.

I'm also working on my muscles in my lower legs. It seemed to be helping before pregnancy made me stop running once I got kinda big.
  • shazi89
    shazi89 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the feedback. I really do appreciate it!
    I have cut down to running every 2-3 days. Doing about 3 km (walk and run). I've also started wearing compression socks to bed after running. Furthermore I am focusing on strengthening my calves. Also using a tennis ball to roll my feet over 2x a day. It has definitely improved, but I reckon I still have a long way to go.
    Kind Regards!