The No-Dairy Diet?

Options
e_v_v
e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
Has anyone tried dieting by cutting out all dairy products? I taught English in China a couple years ago, and due to the lack of available dairy products, I lost significant weight. Thinking of trying it again. Thoughts? Ideas?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't eat less if I cut out dairy (without intentionally cutting calories), so it wouldn't work for me.

There's some thread with a girl doing the "add in 600 calories of raw milk" diet (I think she thinks she'll eat less of other things). You two should get together and do a challenge and compare results.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Again...weightloss is about calories in V. out....lots of people don't eat dairy and are fat or skinny...depends on their calorie intake v output.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it, but I'm lactose intolerant so my diet is naturally super low in dairy. It definitely does keep me away from "cheat foods" i would normally eat [probably while drunk...]. Ice cream, mac and cheese, pizza, queso, grilled cheese, almost every dessert on the planet... all wonderful and tasty foods that I tend to avoid unless I know i'm going to spend the rest of the day and/or night at home.

I think if you feel like you're over-consuming those foods it might make sense to cut back or abstain.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You make it sound like it's a thing. But anyway, you will lose weight if you replace your dairy intake with nothing. No, I haven't tried it and wouldn't want to either :/
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Nothing could make me give up ice cream, pizza or cottage cheese. I'll pass.
  • helen_demun
    helen_demun Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I cut out dairy a month ago and I feel great!! I feel way less tired and baloated. I just feel less foggy and my skin is amazing. I don't think it's necessary (everytime anyone posts ANYTHING about cutting out somthing in your diet or trying a diet technique, lots of people from MFP Will immediately just full on roast that person on why it's wrong and won't work, no idea why) but I think if it works for you that's awesome!! There's lots of great diets people follow (vegan, paleo, ect) that have changed people's lives and really made people feel amazing. I would test it out again to see if you feel better, I would reccomend :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    (everytime anyone posts ANYTHING about cutting out somthing in your diet or trying a diet technique, lots of people from MFP Will immediately just full on roast that person on why it's wrong and won't work, no idea why)

That's not what happens. People will let them know that abstaining from any food or food group isn't necessary and won't cause weight loss if the number of calories remains the same, but if abstinence works to help them keep calories down, then go for it
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I cut out dairy a month ago and I feel great!! I feel way less tired and baloated. I just feel less foggy and my skin is amazing. I don't think it's necessary (everytime anyone posts ANYTHING about cutting out somthing in your diet or trying a diet technique, lots of people from MFP Will immediately just full on roast that person on why it's wrong and won't work, no idea why) but I think if it works for you that's awesome!! There's lots of great diets people follow (vegan, paleo, ect) that have changed people's lives and really made people feel amazing. I would test it out again to see if you feel better, I would reccomend :)
    No body roasts anyone. That's just silly. The reason why anyone would say anything is elimination of foods and food groups is not necessary for weight loss. All that is needed is a calorie deficit. No one gives those a hard time who chose to go vegan or paleo...what ever floats their boat. Often someone would post such a thing to inform newbies and those who are struggling to lose weight. There is more than one way to skin CICO. Education and informing is not roasting.

• brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    High carb low fat vegan has done wonders for me!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Gotta do GOMAD
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options
    No body roasts anyone. That's just silly. The reason why anyone would say anything is elimination of foods and food groups is not necessary for weight loss. All that is needed is a calorie deficit. No one gives those a hard time who chose to go vegan or paleo...what ever floats their boat. Often someone would post such a thing to inform newbies and those who are struggling to lose weight. There is more than one way to skin CICO. Education and informing is not roasting.

Exactly, but also to add, if cutting out dairy caused less bloating or improved skin, it's a possibility that person was either had an aversion to dairy/lactose or made other improvements in their diet.

OP, if you have a lot of dairy in your diet, cut it out and not replace it with other foods, then its causing you to create a deficit. Dairy in itself is not going to make you gain/maintain weight.
  • Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any dairy at all and I haven't lost any weight because of it. It's not one specific food group that causes weight gain, it's calories.

I have a dairy sensitivity. Dairy makes my skin break out like crazy, so I avoid it at all cost. I can always tell when I'm accidentally exposed to dairy because my always clear skin will break out like mad within 24 hours. If I wasn't quite so vain, I'd never give up delicious cheese.
  • amyjoan1
    amyjoan1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have cut out dairy for about two months now . Personally I do feel better and I tried it mostly for health reasons and found I've had no significant headaches and actually feel better overall. Which I didn't expect. But also cut out sweets so not sure which did the trick
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I could never cut out dairy, cheese, cream you name it. That is one thing that holds me back from Paleo. That being said it is my preference, I try to lower carbs. Whatever works for you and you can sustain.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Having lived in Asia, my guess is that dairy wasn't the only thing about your diet (and activity level) that changed, and I think it's really weird that you attribute your weight loss to cutting out dairy rather than looking at the bigger picture.
  • amyjoan1
    amyjoan1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I never said cutting out dairy alone was what attributed to weight loss. It has helped with certain health issues and I do feel better but diet excersize and other things I attribute to losing weight.