American Eagle >.<

Options
When I started back in April, I set measurement goals based on the size chart at one of my favorite "skinny" stores. When I was thinner, AE jeans were the only jeans that fit correctly on my very short, curvy body. I took the waist and hip measurements from the size 12 column and set a goal for August 15th.

As I am now getting closer to my goal measurements, I started shopping around on the AE website and noticed that the size chart was no longer available next to the size selection. Hmmm.

After having to Google 'AE size chart' because I couldn't find a link to it on the main page, it turns out they have updated their sizing. What was a size 12 in April is now a 14 in the waist and a 16 in the hips. >.<

I totally get the vanity sizing argument but it truly ticks me off. I know that I am not defined by the size in my pants but seriously? I really hate having to shop for jeans - like I mentioned, I am really short (5' 1/2") and curvy (always had a 10" difference between waist and hips). It's such a pain. Anybody else in my predicament?

*Edit at 11:40 a.m.: Okay, in the time from I posted this 'til now, their default size chart changed back to one putting the measurements in a size 12. Website glitch? So, unnecessary panic on my part. But the question is still out there? Where do the short and curvy women shop?

Replies

• ABL0930
    ABL0930 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I actually have the opposite issue - I *wish* I was curvy like that - the only part of my that's curvy is my belly sticking out...

But seriously - i would think that the vanity sizing would go the opposite way. They would want to make people feel like they are wearing a SMALLER size, not a bigger one.

Weird.

Goes to show you that you really shouldn't worry about the SIZE, it's just how they fit you.
  • Sk1nnyMoo
    Sk1nnyMoo Posts: 18
    Options
    I agree, especially with height. I used to choose AE's "short" version and they would fit perfectly. Now if I get the short they're too short (high waters) and the regular are too long (I'm trampling the bottoms). I feel like all jeans are changing their sizing though. I guess I will choose when I reach my goal!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    When did this happen!? I love AE jeans, they are the only thing that will fit me as well. When they took away the Artist style I about died, then almost died with happiness when they brought it back!!! A lot of "skinny" people say their jeans run big, which is why I love them, in reality they might just be changing it to match the other brands??
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah - big time LOL

I'm always between sizes, like you I have that 10" difference. I haven't found any good way to solve it unfortunately. So i don't have any good answers, just wanted to let you know you are not alone!

I do buy the GAP 'long and lean' style, not that they are better, they just tend to work with my hips and rise.

Good Luck!!
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    Sizing is SO obnoxious. There is a really nice store near me and for my birthday I decided that I would get myself an outfit from there so I went in and grabbed a dress in both the 6 and the 8 because I hoped that I had gone down a size. I first tried on the 8 and was SO happy that it was a bit loose on me so I tried the 6 on and has to PEEL it off of me. It was not cute. I didn't buy either because neither fit well :(.
    I guess we can't worry about it too much but I definitely feel your pain with trying to figure out the right size.
  • leonardk09
    leonardk09 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    American Eagle will eventually get rid of their extended sizes (16 + 18) and conform to the vanity sizing like that of Victoria's Secret and Hollister/Abercrombie. It's sad, but true :( I was pleasantly surprised to find that Charlotte Reusse now carries 14-18. Oh well, my goal is to get down to the Hollister/Abercrombie measurements of their largest size. I just want to be able to say "yeah, I can wear these ****ty jeans!".

Old Navy is the way to go. Their jeans fit so true to size. American Eagle used to :(
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Oh to be able to wear those jeans again. Those fit me the best too (5'4" and curvy) I use to wear an 8...and 8.... One day with all the help from my MFP friendsand staying motivated!