Office work

Options
Are there any exercises I can be doing at my desk while working? I'm in my office and sitting anywhere from 7-10 hours a day. I do take some intermittent walks when I take my breaks but are there any sitting exercises I could also do that won't inhibit my work?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Snack declines.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It really depends what sort of work you do. I do data entry and I haven't really found something I can do at my desk and work at the same time. Most of the exercises I've found, involve my hands (which are occupied when I'm wroking). However, if your job is mostly answering phones... you can do arm circles or leg lifts or... I guess they'd be called chair push-ups. You put your hands on the arms of the chair and lift yourself out of the chair. All of those are things you do between answering phone calls. If you google "desk exercises" you'll find even more.
  • reineke1992
    reineke1992 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    hmltwin wrote: »
    It really depends what sort of work you do. I do data entry and I haven't really found something I can do at my desk and work at the same time. Most of the exercises I've found, involve my hands (which are occupied when I'm wroking). However, if your job is mostly answering phones... you can do arm circles or leg lifts or... I guess they'd be called chair push-ups. You put your hands on the arms of the chair and lift yourself out of the chair. All of those are things you do between answering phone calls. If you google "desk exercises" you'll find even more.

I'm data entry as well do I'm constantly working with papers and typing. I'll go ahead and Google that to see what I can find. Thanks for the input!
  • MamaSooz89129
    MamaSooz89129 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    following
  • adri_rene208
    adri_rene208 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like the desk cycle idea! I also work in an office, I try to get up as often as I can and I also stretch a lot.
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Do you work in an office at home or around other people? Could you try maybe sitting on an exercise/gym ball? It would keep your core engaged and pretty fun to bounce on from time to time haha.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Stand up and do calf raises for a couple of minutes every hour
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Standing at desk, working, is a MET 2 exercise. You burn more calories standing than you do sitting, and if like me you're at the top end of overweight BMI you burn more in a day of standing than you do in 30 minutes of intense cardio.
  • reineke1992
    reineke1992 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I work in an office (not at home) but have my own room so I'm not around others much of the day. Standing and calf raises are great ideas! Idk about the medicine ball for me tho, I have visions of the Office episode where Jim pops Dwight's lol