Cutting Calories? Low Carb? Clean eating?

Options
Hey guys,

This has probably been covered already and asked before but I just wanted to get a few quick opinions on what you believe/ have experienced. In your opinion, when following a calorie restricted diet (say 1200-1400 a day) and working out, did you feel it mattered if you ate low carb? Do you think regardless of where the calories come from, you'll lose weight? or do you believe you lose more when clean eating (avoiding processed foods) or eating low carb?

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    I believe, without a doubt, it doesn't matter what you eat. Only how much.

Barring medical issues, of course.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    #1- regardless of what you eat a calorie deficit = weight loss.
    But weight loss =/= healthy.

Low carb has some advantages. The way of eating can promote satiety which in turn leads to a calorie deficit, but it still comes down to a calorie deficit. Low carb is not necessary unless you have a medical issue.

Clean eating is a vague confusing term and it still comes down to a calorie deficit.

My advice - eat mostly whole foods, eat a variety of foods, add in some things you like, and make sure you are at a deficit.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    CICO is all that matter, though that doesn't mean nutrition isn't important. You can lose eating nothing but chips and soda, but you wouldn't be getting the correct nutrients.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter, although certain ways of eating/macros may make keeping a deficit easier, and eating adequate protein is part of what's helpful for maintaining muscle.

What is most satisfying differs from person to person. I mostly lost on 40-30-30, but am trying a somewhat high carb (but plenty of protein) deficit right now, for various personal reasons. I focus on eating a nutrient-dense diet, but couldn't care less if something is technically "processed" or not (I currently have protein powder with breakfast, used to have smoked salmon or cottage cheese -- all processed). I also will fit in treats like ice cream on occasion. So long as I have a nutrient dense, satisfying diet, why not?
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with the above, that nutrient dense and whole foods are always a good "base" to a diet. But, I also am a believer in daily dessert. :) Some days, that may mean strawberries and whipped cream, other days it may mean a cupcake from a local bakery or some Ben and Jerry's.

Regardless, you have to do what is sustainable for your life. If you know you cannot cut out something, don't even try to. Just try to fit it in from time to time.

The best WOE for a person is one that works for their goals, one that is sustainable and one that makes them feel full and satisfied. This can be completely different from person to person.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    It doesn't necessarily matter, whatever works for you and helps you control you eating while in a deficit. The only negative effect I had eating low carb was not having the quick energy to support intense workouts, especially cardio and feeling worn out most of the day because your body has to work harder to break down fats and proteins for energy and not get the same amount of energy supply as it would with carbs. I think (barring health issues) low carb may be good for more sedentary people but not so good for very active individuals.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

This has probably been covered already and asked before but I just wanted to get a few quick opinions on what you believe/ have experienced. In your opinion, when following a calorie restricted diet (say 1200-1400 a day) and working out, did you feel it mattered if you ate low carb? Do you think regardless of where the calories come from, you'll lose weight? or do you believe you lose more when clean eating (avoiding processed foods) or eating low carb?

Reducing calories is first, second, and third. Without calorie reduction there is no weight loss. What foods I choose to "spend" my calories on are a matters for health, satiety and personal preference.

I have no medical issues - so I don't track carbs.

"Clean" eating (whatever your definition is) for me, is unnecessarily restrictive. I eat more whole foods, I eat more unprocessed foods because these are filling. But eating chocolate or a piece of cake doesn't prevent me from losing weight.

For me eating "regular" foods while losing weight helps me determine portion sizes for everything. I'm fat because my portions are too big. A restrictive diet would help me figure out portions for just a small sub-set.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    What I've found is that reducing calories while still eating enough to feel full means (for me) automatically cutting back on carbs. High carb-y foods that are non-veggie in nature tend to be higher in calories without much staying power.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I believe in eating a well balanced diet that is rich in whole food nutrition...I think "clean" is an absurd term and complete avoidance of processed foods isn't a long term solution to anything...I think low carb or this or that diet all work on the same premise...they in and of themselves usually result in an energy deficiency which is what is required to lose weight....all diets work on that same premise.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eating lower carb helps me maintain my calorie deficit as foods high in protein and fat tend to fill me up more for less calories. Same goes for foods that might be defined as "clean" (veggies and lean meat), however the definition of clean is pretty sketchy and I eat plenty of "processed" foods.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Never did low carb. Fiber keeps me full.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think if are in a deficit then you'll lose fat regardless of where the calories come from.
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I eat low carb because it keeps me full and encourages me to eat a far healthier diet.
    I'm the calorie counter that used all my calories for chocolate and junk by lunch time and spent the afternoon hungry. Now, working on 30-50g carbs a day I might eat yoghurt and berries for breakfast, meat and veggies (mainly the leafy green kind) for lunch and maybe an omlette with more veggies for dinner. I can't tell you the last time I was hungry or struggled to stay within my calorie limit, although its worth adding I do very little exercise...
    It boils down to your deficit though, as long as your taking in less than you burn, you'll lose, it's just about finding the best and most maintainable way for you to do that! Good luck to you!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

If you want to eat low carb, then by all means do so. What you eat doesn't have as much impact as how much you eat when it comes to weight loss. If you find that eating a low carb diet helps you avoid trigger foods or keeps you feeling more satiated (it does for many) or you need to eat that way for health reasons (diabetes or PCOS) then that's what you should do.

Clean eating is a vague term; avoid it. There's nothing wrong with eating processed foods as almost everything we eat is processed in some way, given that simply cutting or cooking food is processing it.

You won't lose more eating one way or the other unless you have a medical issue which requires you to eat low carb.

What I can say is that I originally started my weight loss journey 5 years ago eating low carb. I ran races while eating 20-50 grams per day with no ill effects to my training. The first 5-7 days you do suffer from a lack of energy but once your body makes the conversion to burning fat instead of carbohydrates for energy many people find they have even more energy than before.