Headaches from running?

Options
I'm getting headaches from running. I know it's because I tense my neck and/or shoulders. I tend to do this when stressed and have home exercises for it. Doors anyone know anything I can do while running to stop doing it? I do periodically make a point to push my shoulders down.

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Do your stretches for your headaches before running. While running focus on maintaining good form AND on keeping your neck and shoulders relaxed. Make sure you're not leaning too far forward or staring staring down when running.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I've had occasionally intense headaches (like brain freeze) when racing in the heat. These go away in a few minutes. Could it be hydration (over or under)?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    This sounds really weird but it seems to help: Touch your thumb to your index finger or middle hinge and keep it that way while you run. It helps keep the shoulders relaxed.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    concentrate on your breath. make sure your are properly aligned. pelvis tucked-shoulders relaxed.
    also, make sure you are hydrated. dehydration can lead to headaches
    ooor
    too tight a pony tail. lose bun is my preference
  • 4thDegreeKnight
    4thDegreeKnight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Be careful, there are "exercise headaches", but when I asked my doctor about it off hand she immediately had me come in for a quick check-up. Apparently holding your breath will cause them, in my case my neck was out of whack and needed to be addressed by a Chiropractor, but there are some more serious issues that can stem from exercise headache. May be worth the 10 min trip to an office visit.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I used to have exercise headaches that would have me out for the rest of the day hating life and vomiting. I went on indomethacin and that helped a lot of prevent them until I lost enough weight that I stopped getting them altogether.
  • CreativeGuy504
    CreativeGuy504 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are you positive it's from your neck? The reason I'm asking is because I get headaches sometimes as well, but only during the hot months out of the year. My doctor said its because I need to take extra precaution to keep myself hydrated. Could lack of hydration also play a factor in your headaches?
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    exercise headaches, aka exertion headaches is not uncommon. Many doctors recommend taking ibuprofen 20 minutes before activity to help prevent them. It is very helpful for most.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Dehydration could be an issue. However, I really do try to stay on top of that. I live in a hot climate and take that seriously. But I can feel my neck and shoulders start to tighten up as my run starts to get a little harder. I did do my neck and shoulder anti-tension headache exercises immediately after my last run and I didn't get a headache!! That was on a run in 93 degrees with 103 heat index.