Bike Safety and Logistics

VeryKatie
VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I am considering starting biking to and from work for the rest of summer. I need to get more cardio in... and I'm hoping I will feel efficient. My bus rides currently take about 40-55 minutes each way.

However, I'm pretty nervous. I rode my mountain bike for the first time in 11 years the other day. It did come back quite naturally, but I doubt I'm the most skilled cyclist there is. I have a helmet but in terms of safety things, that's it. So have have some questions...

1) Is there a fast way to learn to balance a bit better other than just ... learning as I go haha? I have a bit of trouble letting go of one handle bar to use hand signals. I am guessing this one is just a "It'll come" thing but I figured I'd ask.

2) I'd have to take the busiest street in my city to get to work since there are so few ways to cross the rivers. Any advice on how to be safe doing this? My city has next to no bike paths or bike lanes. This street does have a bike lane... that it shares with the city buses. Some of the route is no bike lane/bus lane at all. Tips for passing cars/or when not to pass them, etc. How do I turn left if there is a left turn lane?? Cross 3 lanes of traffic? Stay on the curb side or stay on the right side? Oi... Maybe just walk across at the one left turn that there will be...

3) Is starting off with a 13 km ride each morning and evening too much (26 km)? Should I work up to it? Google tells me the biking that will take approx 45 minutes each way. I rode for 60 mins the other day, slowly. I am not sure what speed Google assumes. I might have the option to bike to work one day, bus home, bus to work the next morning and bike home. I am not sure if I'm allowed to leave my bike in the parkade that long though.

4) Recommendations for a backpack that is light weight, allows airflow to my back that would fit a lunch (with glass containers) in it as well as a travel hairdryer, mini towel, a change of clothes, etc. for getting ready once I get to work? Shoes I can leave at the office. Oh and hopefully the backpack wouldn't unbalance me.

5) Is there other safety things I should have? Like lights and ... reflective vests :confused: ... are shorts ok? Or should I wear something more protective.. I dunno.

6) How do you get over the feeling of being hated by drivers and pedestrians alike? Hahaha. Oh my... my city is not bike friendly!!

Any tips you can give would be good. I suppose I should use Google a little bit too! But... posting forum threads is fun...

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited August 2016
    1) you just learn as you go

2) Use the bike lane. If you're not in the bike lane and in the normal flow of traffic you are just like any other vehicle on the road and should obey the rules of the road just as if you were a car (these rules apply when you're in the bike lane too), etc. When turning left, yes...you would cross over to the left turn lane and follow applicable traffic laws.

3) No way to say without knowing your fitness level. I cycle a lot and could do that in my sleep...your mileage would vary.

4) No ideas here...If I bike commuted I'd probably get saddle bags.

5) I have lights for my road bike...red for the back and white in front...I have these ones:

1421668268539-1tw369se24ksw-960-540.jpg

They allow drivers to see you better day or night. I wear cycling shorts when I cycle.

6) Some drivers won't mind you and others will be *kitten* holes...it is what it is. You shouldn't really have any issues with pedestrians because you shouldn't be on sidewalks and such.
  • VeryKatie
    @cwolfman13 for turning left do I stay on the right of the turn lane or do I go to the left (curb) side of it? Or stay in the middle? I should look into saddle bags. That seems smart and less top heavy.
  • cwolfman13
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    @cwolfman13 for turning left do I stay on the right of the turn lane or do I go to the left (curb) side of it? Or stay in the middle? I should look into saddle bags. That seems smart and less top heavy.

I always stay to the right because I'm either going to turn into the bike lane or I'm going to ride as far to the right as possible if I'm in a traffic lane. If your street has a shoulder you can use that too.

Just keep in mind that there is an element of risk when cycling on the actual road...I'm pretty comfortable for the most part but there are certain roads I just don't ride on around here. My city is pretty bike friendly though and we have a lot of bike lanes and dedicated paths so I can get most places without having to be on the actual road too much.
  • VeryKatie
    edited August 2016
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I always stay to the right because I'm either going to turn into the bike lane or I'm going to ride as far to the right as possible if I'm in a traffic lane. If your street has a shoulder you can use that too.

Just keep in mind that there is an element of risk when cycling on the actual road...I'm pretty comfortable for the most part but there are certain roads I just don't ride on around here. My city is pretty bike friendly though and we have a lot of bike lanes and dedicated paths so I can get most places without having to be on the actual road too much.

I'm jealous. We only have one street that has an actual bike lane. A few paths, but only in residential areas, none leading downtown. We have "Share-ohs" instead. Which means... we have car lanes... that bikes try to use. Can't make this stuff up. Share-ohs. Sheesh.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Over here in the UK we have Bikeability courses, which can help an adult get to grips with being on the road. May be worth seeing if you can find something similar, or a group that goes out together.

I probably would work up to a commute like that if you're not used to roads.

Second the use of saddlebags. Better balance, more comfortable.

As said, you are a vehicle on the road much like others. Don't be afraid to 'take the lane' when appropriate, although you'll be hated for it. Times to do this are when the road narrows and there isn't room for a car to pass, you are riding past parked vehicles (many people don't check when opening their car doors) or you are manoeuvring. Also when the road surface is rough, you'll need to avoid the potholes. Never ride in the gutter. Taking the lane also means the cars are a bit more aware of where you are, and make sure you are clear in your intent.

If your balance is off and you CAN'T take a hand off to signal, then practice away from the road. You have a responsibility to other road users as much as they have towards you

Enjoy.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    I am considering starting biking to and from work for the rest of summer. I need to get more cardio in... and I'm hoping I will feel efficient. My bus rides currently take about 40-55 minutes each way.

However, I'm pretty nervous. I rode my mountain bike for the first time in 11 years the other day. It did come back quite naturally, but I doubt I'm the most skilled cyclist there is. I have a helmet but in terms of safety things, that's it. So have have some questions...

1) Is there a fast way to learn to balance a bit better other than just ... learning as I go haha? I have a bit of trouble letting go of one handle bar to use hand signals. I am guessing this one is just a "It'll come" thing but I figured I'd ask.

A good way to learn balance is safely try to ride the yellow/white line on the side of the road. Just try to keep your front tire on the line. Do this when it's not crowded and other people are on the road. You'll also notice that the slower you go, the harder it gets esp under 7mph. That will build confidence and skill at higher speeds.

2) I'd have to take the busiest street in my city to get to work since there are so few ways to cross the rivers. Any advice on how to be safe doing this? My city has next to no bike paths or bike lanes. This street does have a bike lane... that it shares with the city buses. Some of the route is no bike lane/bus lane at all. Tips for passing cars/or when not to pass them, etc. How do I turn left if there is a left turn lane?? Cross 3 lanes of traffic? Stay on the curb side or stay on the right side? Oi... Maybe just walk across at the one left turn that there will be...

If you're in the USA, most states dictate that bicycles must stay as far right as SAFELY possible. If you're crossing on a bridge I always use the Sidewalks on the Bridge and just slow down a lot. Where I typically cycle you have to cross bridges. I would also recommend getting some good bright blinkers for the rear of your Bike. Personally I use the Bontrager Flare 3. It has a Steady mode and a Flashing mode and is a attention Grabber for sure. I would also recommend the Blitzu Cyborg, can be found on Amazon. It's a cheaper Chinese light and works VERY well. As far as front lighting I like my to be at least 300 Lms with a flashing and steady option. I personally use the Bontrager Ion 700 RT, but there are other options out there cheaper.

3) Is starting off with a 13 km ride each morning and evening too much (26 km)? Should I work up to it? Google tells me the biking that will take approx 45 minutes each way. I rode for 60 mins the other day, slowly. I am not sure what speed Google assumes. I might have the option to bike to work one day, bus home, bus to work the next morning and bike home. I am not sure if I'm allowed to leave my bike in the parkade that long though.

Use a site like Ride with GPS, or Strava to map your routes. They both pull data from other cyclist/commuters and will help give you the best and safest route, based on data uploaded by other riders, to your destination. And those both will sync with MFP to give you an estimate on calories burned, distance, speed and some other goodies. If you do leave your bike at work, make sure it's nice and locked up. Learn how to lock the front and rear wheel to the frame and take the seat and other other accessories with you.

4) Recommendations for a backpack that is light weight, allows airflow to my back that would fit a lunch (with glass containers) in it as well as a travel hairdryer, mini towel, a change of clothes, etc. for getting ready once I get to work? Shoes I can leave at the office. Oh and hopefully the backpack wouldn't unbalance me.

If you're bike has bike panniers lugs you can always attach a pannier to your bike so you do not have to lug a backpack and keep that body heat next to. If i were recommend one the Transit Torrent from Performance Bike is pretty nice. And they run sales pretty often. Right now they have it for 69.99 + 15% off so roughly 59.00, for a $100.00 bag.

5) Is there other safety things I should have? Like lights and ... reflective vests :confused: ... are shorts ok? Or should I wear something more protective.. I dunno.

Protective gear? Helmet, Lights, Reflective Gear. Shorts are completely okay. I wear Bib Shorts and a Jersey to ride into work. The only think I would recommend if you wear pants is get a chain guard for your leg so you don't get chain grease on your pants. That stuff can be a PITA to get out.

6) How do you get over the feeling of being hated by drivers and pedestrians alike? Hahaha. Oh my... my city is not bike friendly!!

I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio. While we're not exactly know for being "bike friendly", but we are one of the fastest growing cycling cities in the country. Just be respectful, be courteous, and have confidence. Cincinnati is split by Instate- 75. The East side of town is know for cyclist, and are respectful of them. The West Side of town not so much. Thankfully I'm one of the few from the West Side of Cincinnati who is helping carve the future in our neck of the woods. And so far it's been a very positive response.

Any tips you can give would be good. I suppose I should use Google a little bit too! But... posting forum threads is fun...

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Are your busses bike friendly? Many here have bike racks on the front. If so start by bussing 1/2 way to work and then riding the rest of the way on your bike.

Since you haven't ridden much for a while I'd work up to your full commute. You might want to buy an extra hairdryer to keep at work and reduce the stuff you carry daily.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    I have no reply, but thank you for asking the questions. Thinking about getting a bike with gears next spring. And you asked the questions I had. To the posters with the insightful answers, thank you.
  • VeloRat1969
    VeloRat1969 Posts: 18 Member
    The League of American Bicyclists has a fantastic adult bike safety class curriculum, and certifies instructors across the United States. If you're in the US, let me know what city you're in and I'll see if there's a certified instructor in your area.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

That's a question of practice, so if you think you need to see if you can find a car park or something that you can just do a bit of slow speed handling.

Can't really comment on the specfics of USian traffic, but as upthread here in the UK the Highway Code recommends maintaining the middle third of the lane as the safest place to ride. That avoids the temptation for cage dwellers to try dangerous overtakes, and exerts your right as a road user.

As long as you're fueling appropriately that shouldn't be an issue. When I ride to work, I have about 10 miles, I take some porridge and fruit with me to eat when I get there. You might find that going from nothing to 130ish miles per week a bit of a shock to the system, so it may be you want to work up by alternate days, or as you suggest public transport one way.

I would recommend a bag you can leave at work with wash kit, shoes, hairdryer etc, rather than lugging it with you. I'd also recommend panniers rather than a bergen. Having the weight high up does raise your centre of gravity, so you might find that contributes to feeling uncomfortable.

Helmet, gloves, glasses, lights and a repair kit (tubes, tyre levers and an inflator), maybe a phone mount so that you can track your ride and see your improvement over time.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    There is some good advice here already. I'll just add links to some more useful stuff.

John S. Allen has written an excellent pamphlet, Bicycling Street Smarts, which is free on his website: http://bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/index.htm

He addresses questions like how to handle a bike predictably and confidently in traffic, where to position yourself on the road, how to make left turns (there are a couple of ways), and how to identify and deal with particularly dangerous situations. He has also produced a version for people in countries where you drive on the left, as well as other specialized editions: http://bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/index.htm

The late Sheldon Brown's website has an excellent set of articles on bicycling for beginners: http://sheldonbrown.com/beginners.html

Finally, I'll just throw in my 2 cents: it's much nicer to carry stuff in panniers that attach to a rack than it is to use a backpack. (1) Your back won't get sweaty. (2) Your stuff will be closer to the ground, which will lower the center of gravity of your bike+rider system and make the bike more stable.

And as far as safety is concerned, my #1 safety accessory is a rear-view mirror. Mine clips onto my glasses, but you can get one that mounts on a helmet or on your handlebar. I think it's far more important than a helmet: a helmet might protect your head in a crash, but a mirror might help you avoid the crash in the first place.
  • VeryKatie
    Such awesome replies! Thanks everyone!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    I think it's far more important than a helmet: a helmet might protect your head in a crash, but a mirror might help you avoid the crash in the first place.

Can't recall any incident I've been in where a mirror would have been helpful tbh
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I just have two cents to add on the left-turn thing...personally, I'm also a little uncomfortable in heavy traffic as a cyclist still, so if I am feeling unsafe about attempting a left turn (especially in downtown rush hour) I will definitely find a safe and appropriate way to dismount and walk my bike until I can reenter the road safely. Sometimes it adds five minutes to my commute but it's worth it to avoid feeling like I'm going to be murdered by an accordion bus or whatever.

I try really hard to avoid artery roads and do my best to use side streets and multiuse paths instead of the streets whenever I can though, because I live in a pretty redneck and cyclist unfriendly city.
  • cwolfman13
    I think it's far more important than a helmet: a helmet might protect your head in a crash, but a mirror might help you avoid the crash in the first place.

Can't recall any incident I've been in where a mirror would have been helpful tbh

I have to agree with this...I ditched mine as I found it to be about the most useless accessory I had and distracted me more than anything.
  • cricket490
    cricket490 Posts: 31 Member
    edited August 2016
    + 1 for a rear view mirror.

Being nervous on a bike is normal if you have not cycled in years. I started cycling again 6 years ago after 20+ years of not riding. It all comes back to you and cycling as an adult you are more alert and aware of your surroundings which include cars.

We live in a town that is not bike or exercise friendly (no bike lanes) and many 2 lane roads. What helped me in the beginning was going to a bigger city and cycling on a greenway which is much safer. The only problem was the greenway was flat with no hills or curves. Once I conquered the greenway I needed more challenges for a better workout.

We cycle early in the morning on rural country roads a few times a week which gave me more confidence cycling. However, there is no way I would cycle on the main roads during rush hour where I live.

Take it a little at a time and you will gain confidence cycling.

• Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    I ride quite a bit and am always nervous in traffic. Just remain cautious. One suggestion for you as you start out is to ride in one day and ride the bus home. The next day, ride the bus to work and then ride the bike home.

My commute is about the same as yours and it's actually a pleasant distance if I keep my speed down. It is just long enough that I want to wear cycling clothes, but I can get away without showering.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    The other posters had great advice so I won't address your comments item by item. My only caution with saddle bags is that you should wait until your balance is a bit better on the bike. On my biking days, I keep my lunches lightweight and use a backpack. Get two bottle holders for the bike, and use those to carry your drinks.

I commute by bicycle in a minimally bikeable blue collar city with a lot of angry pickup truck drivers. That said, I've never had an issue while on the bike commuting. I think if you use your hand signals, dress up like a Christmas tree, and follow traffic control devices (like actually stop at a stop light), most drivers treat you with respect. Bike lights are great, especially if you're on roads with a higher speed limit. The key to bike commuting is to make eye contact with the drivers that could reasonably cream you at intersections. In my Town, stop signs are apparently optional when making a right hand turn, and that's a very dangerous place to be for a bike. I was almost nailed by a school bus that failed to stop before making a right turn.

Depending on what State you're in, you probably need to be on the right side of the travel lane unless you want to turn left. At that time, you need to proceed to the left side of the travel lane or to the turn lane. It's terrifying the first few times you do it, but it gets easier in time. I try to plan my route so that I can "go right to go left". In other words, I try to go straight at a traffic light if at all possible.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I ride a lot and seem to be in the minority as regards mirrors - I use mine all the time and they are a great safety aid. Allows you to see "trouble" approaching, allows you to decide when you can or need to take the lane, allows you to know when you can manoeuvre safely around road imperfections or debris etc. etc.
    Gives you a much longer view than a quick over the shoulder glance and massively help planning and anticipation.
    ("Mirrycle" best one I've found for flat bars, much harder to find good ones for drop bars.)

Re. 6)
    I find strength training a real benefit when dealing with aggressive or inconsiderate car drivers - invitations to step out of the car and discuss things seem to carry more gravitas! ;)

Keep your wits about you and if you are doing the same route daily you will know the higher risk parts of your journey and plan accordingly. If you have regular near misses or incidents don't push your luck, it will run out one day, adapt.

I really dislike wearing a helmet but after a big crash and seeing the damage done right over my temple means it's not optional. Cycling gloves or mitts too, you will stick your hands out if you have an unscheduled off.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2016

AGREED! Some folks love them, some folks hate them. I found them distracting.