BMI - obese

Options
Hi all,
I've know I'm fat / overweight and have been trying to loose weight for what feels like years now.

Today I did a bmi test and it came up with 40 - obese.

Now that is a shock to the system. I am officially obese.

Hopefully this insight will now make me loose weight for good.

Anyone else out there who never thought they were but actually are?

Replies

• Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I was in denial. I knew I was overweight but considered people who weighed 300 lbs or more to be obese. I stayed away from the scale cause I didn't want to know how much I actually weighed. Now, I can't stay away from the scale.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Obese starts at 30. How long have you been denying that possibility?
  • koujo21
    koujo21 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Same here I was 320 and avoiding the scale but now I check weekly. Keep working buddy don't lose sight of you goal
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was at 30, totally in denial. My family is all overweight and the city in which I lived, being overweight was common, so I looked rather "normal."
  • Athomemermaid
    Athomemermaid Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    About 18 months to be honest. I've had some really difficult personal stuff during this time. Mum passing away suddenly. Complicated grief, depression and anxiety, brother abusing me emotionally (now cut off), loss of job.

I know that there is NO excuse for gaining so much. I was / am in denial.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yep was 33. I only decided to check when I was looking at taking up scuba diving ( not recommended for those over 30 bmi). Not so much in denial but didn't really think of bmi. Or overweight or obese just knew I was heavy on scales.
    About same time a friend posted some pics on Facebook. And it woke me up too how bad things were. Am now at 26 so still overweight but feel ( and hopefully look) heaps better.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yes, I knew I was fat but was a master at pushing it out of my mind. I went to a new doctor and she was the first doctor to look me straight in the eye and tell me I was morbidly obese and I would die young if I didn't change immediately. I listened and acted. My BMI was 40. 3 years later I am in the healthy range through diet and exercise.
  • sijaeabc
    sijaeabc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    my BMI started out at around 45 (yikes!) I knew I was obese, but mapmyfitness had additionally categories and put me in obese category 3 - that was shocking. Now I am down to a BMI at 33 and stile obese but just around the corner from overweight. Even though BMI is not the only indicator, I am looking forward to getting it below 30!!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I was in denial about my weight for a long time before I really reached the breaking point. I'm really good at denial--I avoided the scale & the doctor's office for years. I had never actually heard of BMI until I started researching WLS. I didn't really know there were different levels of being overweight. I was morbidly obese & it was really eye opening to learn about all the risks I was putting myself up for.
  • Athomemermaid
    Athomemermaid Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your uplifting comments.

I've just researched a gym in my area and will go see them. (Push that anxiety away)

All your comments are giving me motivation and I see myself in all if them.

If anyone wants to take on a noob to mentor or be friends please add me. I need all the advice and motivatio one can give.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Good

Morbid obesity and your recognition of it is step 1 in stopping fooling yourself

Now you get to fix it
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I've always known I was obese/overweight over the years. But I will often look in the mirror and go, yeah that's fine, you look fine in that outfit. It takes looking at photographs to really bring home to me just how fat I am. The other week I decided to take some 'before' photos for comparison in the future. It really depressed me to see objectively how flabby and big I am. I hope that when I take some photos in a few months time to compare, I'll be happier.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I knew I was obese as my nurse told me, that didn't spur me on to lose weight
    When I was ready to start I weighed myself at home and was 2 stones heavier than I thought I was. I thought my scales were bust so I went to the chemist and yes it was right almost 15 stones.
    So that is what made me lose weight
  • Rattler11
    Rattler11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing about 2 weeks ago. Took a bmi test for the first time and for it to come out as obese... It rattled me to say the least. I'm a sophomore in college and I'm already obese? I've played sports all my life, I worked out all through high school, and now... yeah, that was the tipping point. I'm seeing it now. Really seeing it... I realized, for me anyways, it was the food I was eating, and the amout of it. I could work out all I wanted, but without changing my eating habits I was slowly but surely gaining. But now that my eyes are open I'm going to get down to a healthy weight. I'm determined.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I knew I was overweight (bordering obese), but I spent a lot of effort pretending I didn't know, didn't care. Actually I was devastated, I just felt hopeless and overwhelmed and very very reluctant to change behavior that of course, on some levels, felt good.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Yep. I reached obesity with a BMI of 31 when I was in my mid-teens. Like you, it was a "shock to the system." Yes. I knew I was overweight, but it didn't help that many people told me that I was curvy with a butt and fine just as I am, and I somewhat comforted myself with the knowledge that I was "only" overweight. Being obese, however, made me very uncomfortable. It was also around this time that I noticed life becoming more difficult. For example, one size clothing barely barely fit me anymore if they did at all. I found myself Googling weight restrictions for things like bicycles and sky diving. I hadn't reached that stage of obesity where I couldn't do those things anymore, but I realized that I was fast approaching that kind of territory. I'm so glad I snapped out of my old habits and started taking care of myself while I'm still so young.