Miracle Noodles

Options
Has anyone tried miracle noodles? I found them online and they don't seem like the typical scam diet food, but I wanted to be sure before I bought them. Apparently they are 0 calories and they come from some kind of vegetable or something in Asia. The only negative I have heard is that they are tasteless and not quite the consistency of regular noodles (both I'm willing to live with). You can find them easily on google. I'm italian so if I could pair this with my home made pasta sauce and not feel guilty, it would be amazing.

Replies

• anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I REALLLLLLLLLLY didn't like them.

They smelled fishy and had the texture of overcooked calamari

*edit* Forgot to mention that sice my body didn't seem to digest them at all, they *ahem* came out looking much the same way they went in.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    lol, yikes
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them with a tomato sauce yet, but I have used them several times in a stir fry. They are a little more "slippery" and chewy than regular noodles but I wasn't put off by them. My husband didn't even question them in the stir fry and I didn't tell him about them beforehand (or since!) because he's the type who wouldn't eat it if he knew. I think he assumed I was using glass noodles which is what they resemble.

The ones I've used didn't smell and they certainly weren't as chewy as calamari. You do have to be careful to rinse them really, really well, though.

My suggestion is to buy the smallest size package you can and give them a try. You don't have much to lose except the carbs.
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I thought they were weird/gross. They werent for me, but lots of people do like them. I also have IBS and they seriously disagreed with me.
  • flawedandfabulous
    Options

*edit* Forgot to mention that sice my body didn't seem to digest them at all, they *ahem* came out looking much the same way they went in.

My experience with them as well. :sick:
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I hated them. No matter what trick I tried to get them to not feel like rubberbands in my mouth nothing worked!
  • sent4rmabove23
    Options
    Yes, Ive tried them because I was on the hcg diet. They take in the flavor of whatever you cook with. I mean for what they are made for, it wasn't all that bad. It does stink when you open up the bag but the smell lessens after you boil the noodles. I have 2 or 3 receipes at home that I can send to you if you want.
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Oh i didn't digest them either I thought it was because of my IBS.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I thought they were nasty (im a big scent person could not get by the smell)
    I use spaghetti squash instead of pasta it is sooo good
  • dianeensey
    dianeensey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've tried them and they aren't bad if you are craving pasta. You do need to follow the directions and rinse and dry them well - then they have no flavor at all. They kind of absorb the flavor of what you serve them with. I had some with a little Alfredo sauce and chciken and it was good. I've also tried them in stir fry and liked it as well, but frankly I can live without them.
  • jfox625
    jfox625 Posts: 8
    Options
    I like them but they have two different kinds - soy and not soy. I haven't had the non-soy but I do like the soy. They do smell a little like fish so I rinse them in a colander. Then I let them dry for a little. They are better in a stir fry because it dries them out but I also like them with diced tomatoes and fat free cheese. It's definitely worth trying a package but the website for miracle noodle seems to want you to buy bulk. Try the Shirataki soy noodles first. You can find them for about $2 a bag. Remember - rinsing and letting dry is key.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    I've tried them. Before you order them online, check out the refrigerated, tofu section of your grocery store. Their equivalent might already be there.

They smell fishy, very fishy when they come out of their waterlogged package. You must rinse them in a collander for SEVERAL minutes to get rid of the fishiness. Then rinse them again. Seriously. Dry them with paper towels thoroughly. Microwave them in a bowl lined with paper towels, because they'll ooze out more water.

With regular pasta sauce, they're fine. They really do lower the calorie count significantly and with the tomato sauce, they were fine. I tried them with melted laughing cow and nearly gagged. Not nice. I only buy the spaghetti noodles. For some reason the flat noodles turned me right off. Maybe because they absorb more fishiness in their package.

I can live without them too, but if you're a serious pasta lover, this is a good alternative to eating pasta often. I always have some in my fridge for those pasta craving days.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    They smell awful and by no means come close to resembling pasta other than they are stringy. I know they are one of the (many) products hawked by Hungry Girl, hence people buying them like they are going out of style, but I would much rather have a smaller portion of real whole wheat pasta than those foul noodles.
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    When I really want pasta, I substitute steamed cauliflower. Being a T1 diabetic, I don't do a lot with pasta. If you can't tolerate the Konjac noodles, try the veggies instead (an earlier poster suggested spaghetti squash, another great sub)
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add, that you can generally find them in any Asian food market. They're called Shirataki noodles (or they might be called Konjac noodles)

Good luck with them.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options

Spaghetti squash is definitely way better!!! I tried Shiratki noodles, and couldn't get past the fishy smell.
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    i like it a lot. if you boil it for a while it actually is soft soft like noodle. if you don't, it has like jelly fish texture which is crunchy and i like jelly fish so it didnt bother me. my bf couldn't tell the diff between miracle noodle and real noodles..lol.
  • aling01
    Options
    what is spaghetti squash?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    what is spaghetti squash?

Spaghetti squash is a type of squash. it's yellow, oval, and about as long as your forearm. you cut it in half length wise, scrape out the seeds, put a little evoo and salt and pepper on it, and bake it "meat side" down on 400 until tender and then use a fork to scrape it out. It comes out long and stringy like spaghetti.
  • aling01
    Options
    oh that's very interesting!