T1 Pump Diabetics... Need Your Help

Options
Since starting MFP--and especially very recently--my insulin needs have lowered dramatically. This is a very good/very bad thiing. The last couple of days, particularly in the AM, I have had to completely turn off my pump. This morning I went from 71at 9 AM to 32 just a few minutes ago. I am not sure how I am even capable of spelling right now but right now I have the typical shaky/feeling crappy symptoms. I lowered my 7 AM basal to .10 prior to suspending my pump completley... how much lower can I go?! My endo nurses (who would be the ones to guide me if I called the office) are idiots and I trust fellow T1s much more than I do them. Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• JMM_623_
    JMM_623_ Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump -

p.s. your basal rate 3-4 hours PRIOR affects what happens to you right now. Consider dropping your overnight basal a bit to anticipate lows in the AM.
  • Dippydog
    Dippydog Posts: 154
    Options
    bump -

p.s. your basal rate 3-4 hours PRIOR affects what happens to you right now. Consider dropping your overnight basal a bit to anticipate lows in the AM.

Totally agree. Change your basal rate overnight. When are you working out? AM or PM. That may have an affect too.
  • crazywheaten
    Options
    Now that my head is starting to focus again, I am wondering if because my total daily insulin needs have lowered if I need to adjust my carb ratios--not my basal rates. My pre b'fast numbers have been slightly low--not too bad so I did lower my midnight basal so I wake up a little higher--but it's the 2 hour post b'fast that I've started dipping. Doesn't that indicate carb ratio needs to be lowered? How the hell do I even calculate how to lower it?
  • JMM_623_
    JMM_623_ Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Forget the nurses, ask your endo. My endo & I came up with my ratio based on what I'm experiencing. What's sad is that I had NO idea what my carb ration was set for. I've looked and I'm at 5gr/1unit all day. What are you set for?
  • crazywheaten
    Options
    My AM was 7:1; lunch & dinner 10:1--I've changed the AM to 10:1 so I'll be getting less insulin for my b'fast bolus. It really makes much more sense to me now... less total insulin per day so I needed to lower the carb:insulin rate. We'll see how tomorrow morning goes. I just looooove being a science project!
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I had the same "problem" when I first started my new gym. I could eat my breakfast not bolus and go workout and still be in range or slightly low afterwards.
    Congrats on the new insulin sensitivity. My endo had me lower my pump for the whole day. I went from 1.10 down to .950 for my day time pattern. I had my nighttime one already figured out. Now if I don't bolus correctly I will have a high or low.

Hope your getting everything straightened out. :)
  • Dippydog
    Dippydog Posts: 154
    Options
    I just looooove being a science project!

I love that. Me too!!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i agree to lower your night time basal rates so by morning you'll be a little higher. be careful ♥
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I had the same "problem" when I first started my new gym. I could eat my breakfast not bolus and go workout and still be in range or slightly low afterwards.

This happens to me too. Sometimes I'll take Lantus in the morning and totally skip the humolog, have around 70-80 carbs and then go run, be fine afterwards and then drop to 50's about an hour later.

I'm not on the pump right now, so I can't really help, sorry. It sucks being the science project for yourself, but at least you'll figure out what works for you...
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Just in the past three weeks I've lowered my total daily dose of insulin from about 55 units a day down to 40-45 units a day, and I'm still having lows...so still adjusting things downward. I haven't touched my I:C ratios yet, just basals. Though I think my morning basal may still be too high because at this point I don't need a bolus for breakfast at all - otherwise I am low by noon.