Calorie awareness

Options
did anyone else really pay much attention to there calorie intake before joining MFP?
I've never really been that bothered about what amount of calories are in the food I eat, until I joined MFP, but now when im inputting my meals and it's all being added up for me it really as opened my eye's to how easy it is to over step the mark on a daily basis

Replies

• chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    nope I never looked at a calorie in my life till now..... I probably consumed like 2500 calories a day
  • Ambeltz2016
    Ambeltz2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Same here now I find myself looking at food packages before I buy them. :tongue:
  • carmcd
    carmcd Posts: 115
    Options
    i used to keep a food diary with what i thought was a healthy food plan....i logged them into MFP just to see and I was eating almost 2000 calories a day from the portions/constant snaking!!! No wonder I wasn't losing any weight haha!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I knew what foods were high calorie vs. low calorie but never added them up and counted what I was eating before MFP. I also was probably consuming between 2000-2500 daily.
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I used to read food packages religiously, but I was always just looking at ingredients and fat/protein. I never really counted calories, and I have been *shocked* at the calorie counts in some foods! I used to easily consume a thousand calories at a time without realizing it. Knowledge is power!
  • calition
    calition Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is so true for me. I seem to be the party pooper now because everyone else wants me to join in on Churrizo buritos, foot long sandwhiches and stuffed crust pizza or real mexican tacos with the works and I just look it up now and about choke over the calories. I went to Boston market the other day and was sick because everything was drenched in butter and was mixed with processed cheese and cream. Lucky I was able to get plain turkey and the steamed veggies with corn. The only problem is that I had to pay for the corn bread even though I didn't want it. The cost of going out is not worth it any more and that really it's better to eat at home. It's no longer convenient those fast food places. I'm now at a point where my eyeballs tilt everytime I'm out with friends and I tell them what it is that they are eating but that only makes them feel bad or then they try to pressure me into eating the double apple struddle. I'm amazed at what I used to eat and think that it was ok. I pack my lunch every day now and eating at work has encouraged others to do the same.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    I've come full circle. I have diary entries from when I was 11 where I write about using a calorie counting book and a 'Seventeen' exercise book. Had I stuck with it then and accepted it was something I needed to do for the rest of my life, I probably would've saved myself about 4 decades of misery.

So...yes, I've always been aware of how many calories are in foods, but not always been counting. Mostly deliberately ignoring. :tongue:

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It was such an eye opener to see how many calories can sneak into the day. I can see how I gained this weight, I just wish it was coming off faster. That spoon of peanut butter, that chocolate chip muffin, a cookie, a donut, whatever someone is sharing in the workroom....it is unreal how many calories I must have eaten during the appreciation week at school....but oh, those homemade cinnamon rolls....

Its going to be interesting to see how it goes when school starts up again.
  • ste73
    ste73 Posts: 90
    Options
    I've only been a member of this site myself for 6 day's and already the foods I have entered have shocked me to just how much calorie and fat intake was in such small portions. It will be good when you can walk around the supermarket and have a good idea whats in what food without having to constantly have to look on the box
  • ste73
    Options
    we're all guilty of over indulgence or we wouldn't be on this site huh? lol
  • ste73
    Options
    me too.. hopefuly it won't take long to learn the can and can't haves without having to read the box
  • ste73
    Options
    this is were i am at right now