Stretching vs Yoga vs Foam Roller vs Massage

Options
Hey all,

I am a chronically tight person and am on a seemingly eternal quest to loosen up my muscles. Most aren't especially bothersome, but my calves and hamstring seem to cause me significant issues when running, ranging from cramps to severe shin splints. It seems like there are various ideas floating around for what to do to best gain flexibility, but I'm having a hard time deciding what is useful when. It seems like the options are: static stretching, dynamic stretching, yoga, self myofascial release (foam roller), and massage. When is each of these useful and which is really best for gaining flexibility? Are there any tomes of knowledge on the subjects I can read to really set up a good routine for gaining flexibility? I realize whatever I choose will take time, which I'm willing to put in to help solve my issues (this impacts about everything active I do, from cycling, to running, even hiking).

Thanks for any help!
HD

Replies

• ldhfcrew
    ldhfcrew Posts: 14
    Options
    I think everyone has their own personal preference, but I am a firm believer in the foam roller. I began using it in my recovery after a fall down the stairs almost 5 years ago and swear by it. It has saved us tons of $$ on massage and chiropractor visits!
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty complicated subject. Most people have more than enough flexibility in their muscles, it usually a question of how to let them relax. There is tons of different techniques to do this, and everyone is going to have their opinion of on what works best. Try them all out and see what works for you.

A much over looked aspect mobility is joint stability. A lot of times our gastroc and hamstrings can become tight because our smaller stabilizer muscle are not firing properly.
  • HeavyDutyDev
    HeavyDutyDev Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by joint stability and how does one improve that?
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by joint stability and how does one improve that?

Basically, your joints are surrounded by muscles that are in a constant tug-of-war. If these muscles aren't working in harmony, your larger "prime mover" muscles will "lock down" to stabilize the joint from hyper flexion, hyper extension, lateral/medial movement, etc. This effects your range of motion, but not necessarily your flexibility.

Again, this is a complicated subject. You'd be better off reading some online material on it than me trying to break it all down.
  • peaceofmuscle
    peaceofmuscle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Man, do I have some insight. But these looks like an old, dead post.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Share your insight, this is an applicable issue to so many people
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I suffer same problem as I'm a tall muscular guy in late forties that has played catcher for baseball the past 35 years which really shortens up the hammies and calve muscles.

While foam roller feel great, it promotes blood flow ideally, not stretching or lengthening the muscles per sae.

I've done added yoga to my regime of heavy lifting the past 7+ months and it has done wonders for my flexibility and overall pain all around. I have a lot of it documented to IG. I strongly suggest introducing it into your regime. Downward dog and monkey poses will stretch hams, calves, and ankles very well.
  • flabfighter31
    flabfighter31 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm the same with the hamstrings calfs I use yoga three times a weeks and the tennis ball on the foot three times a day I was talking to a colleague in the orthitics dept and he suggested orthitic insole as he noticed I was walking in the inside of my foot. Well after three weeks I don't need the tennis ball and I have noticed that my flexibility has improved I can even touch the floor with my legs straight I have never been able to achieve this. So for the price of a pair of insoles must be worth a try.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Man, do I have some insight. But these looks like an old, dead post.

Then why did you bump it??