Which diet?

Options
So I have followed every diet you could name I'm sure but never remained at my target weight! They all work to a certain degree don't they! So my questions to you, how to lose weight simply, no fads just simple to follow!
I'm starting from now! Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance x

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The "Consume fewer calories than you burn diet." Eat the food you like, but weigh it and log it, and stay within your calorie goal.

I'd write a best selling book on it, but it's too easy to sum up in one sentence.
  • NovaHarris
    NovaHarris Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Seems so simple and technically it's is!

Thank you for the reminder! Xx
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Simplicity is what makes it sustainable for me. I eat all the foods I used to eat, with few exceptions. Just eat them is smaller quantities. Still eat pizza (homemade) at least 2x a month, have chocolate daily, chips daily (though I did sub out my fav for a lower calorie tasty alternative). I added a lot of veggies to my meals. Usually have salads or big servings of veggies every night.
  • markdolanmoore
    markdolanmoore Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this woman's website: eatlikeanormalperson.com

She said a lot of things that make sense to me about diets, restriction, etc. As a person that has tried a few different things, I'm a huge fan. You have to read through it a few times to really "get" it...but it's allowed me to borrow from the best of all things, chill out, and enjoy eating (like a normal person) now. Hint: she won't be prescribing you an eating plan :)

There is a lot of talk on here about calories in/out, which is ultimately true, but very oversimplified. And simple is good imo, but for long term health..we need to understand the effects foods have on our bodies, not just the foods net Kcal.

Best of luck.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have had no lasting results on any such restrictive "diet".

It's so easy to begin in a flourish of motivation with initial results that fade away along with my passion.
    My eating now is mostly whole foods without going nuts about it. And I have a "free meal" every now and again.

I need that.

Anyway, I read some solid comments, so best of luck! Feel free to add me as friend for mutual support and sharing.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The thing with diets is that they get you to lose weight but do not teach you how to maintain or bulk in a controlled manner.

This is what diets are stupid.

Find the calories you need to lose weight at a slow pace. Track your calories everyday. Weigh yourself daily and take your average weekly to see how you're progressing. Do it for 2-4 months and you'll see significant change.... Now the part a lot of people screw up(myself include last year) when I hit my goal weight, I said I'll take a "break", wrong.... Weight will gain back.

To maintain, increase your calories to maintenance and continue logging to see how your body reacts to the new added calories.

Its all a numbers game. Will you be track calories for the rest of your life? No, but do it often enough to the point when you will know how much you need to eat to lose, maintain, or gain weight. If you never track to maintain, how will you learn how to maintain without know much quantity you'll need to be eating?