Spiritual Fasting?

Options
This isn't really a weight loss topic, so I wasn't quite sure of where to post it. My apologies if this is a wrong location.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who uses fasting as a spiritual tool. Don't worry. I'm not considering fasting for weight loss. I'm not foolish enough to think that any pounds lost on a fast would be permanent. But I am wrestling with a few questions as of late and I'm considering doing a fast to get some meditative clarity.

From age 19 to about 21 I used to fast regularly as a part of a religious observance. We fasted once a month on Friday, Saturday, and then broke the fast with a communal dinner on Sunday evening. Sadly I thought of the fast more like a group activity than an opportunity for spiritual enlightment and thus gained none in the process.

Then last summer around this time my husband and I did the Master Cleanse for the first time. We did it for the purported physical benefits and honestly just to see if we could. Well, around day 8 or 9 both of us notice an increased mental clarity and I started meditating a little to go along with it.

Has anyone else out there experienced any of that through fasting? How did you fast? Why did you fast? For how long? Did you get the answer(s)/result(s) you were looking for?

Replies

• Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    Hey hows it going I actually just finished a book on spiritual fasting, I really want to fast, I feel like its a duty in the Christian religion to really focus and reconnect with God, I just was kind of worried to about the health issues and stuff, I was told that it can be very healthy if done right you have to stay very hydrated But I am also seeking that mental clarity, I am definitely going to join with a congregation to do a Daniel fast at the first of next year
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Bump -- want to know if you get lots of posts on this. It interests me. Thanks for posting.
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I try and fast monthly, on the first weekend of the month.

I do it to show God my spirit is stronger than my body, and I'm willing to sacrifice what my body needs in return for granting of requested blessings.
  • NaturalBeauty82
    NaturalBeauty82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I guess it all depends on the "type" of fasting you're doing. Our church does a 21 day fast every year and some 3 day fasts throughout the year. We're allowed to have veggies, fruit, water, juice, and a few other things. Basically, we eat healthy and give up sweets and other foods that we love to indulge in. During that time, we reconnect and just focus more on God all in all. It signifies that we're willing to give up thing that we really like for God. I think it shows how devoted and how much we really love Him!!! Those few days help out a lot and we learn good eating habits which some of us maintain even after the fast. I don't see any problems w/ fasting, as long as you have fluids and healthy food like veggies/fruit. Sounds kinda double standard b/c most ppl see fasting as not eating anything at all. I wouldn't try that tho. Like I said, the way our church does it has worked fine for me.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Fasting is a humbling process, even for the non-religious. It truly allows us to see just how fragile we humans actually are. As a kid, my parents belonged to a religion that encouraged regular fasting... and I participated from about age 7 until age 13. Well mostly, there was a couple of times that I caved and snuck a teaspoon full of peanut butter just to make the pain go away.

I think that if it works for you, and you don't have any medical conditions that would be exacerbated by fasting -- go for it. The only think I'd worry about is hydration. In my old religion you could neither eat nor drink during a fast.
  • lightsthesky
    lightsthesky Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Greetings to you.

I applaud you for your constant search for clarity and enlightenment. Years ago, my teacher had put me on a path to ready myself for a vision quest. During this preparation she had me slow start to fast days before the actual event. So since the quest was set for a Saturday, the fast process began on Monday with no red meats until Wednesday morning when the diet shifted to vegetarian only, then on Friday the diet shifted to a liquid diet of like protein shakes and smoothies. Then from midnight Friday and all through Saturday was nothing but water. It was so interesting how through the slow step down of the fast that I felt like I was in a heightened state of awareness and that I felt like I was able to achieve a calmer meditative state. And that was my experience of fasting for religious purposes.

Cheers.
    :flowerforyou:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I went to a Christian school (K-12) and we used to get extra credit for fasting for our Bible class, looking back I've got issues with this BUT when I got older I started looking at fasting differently (as one does). I would pick an issue I was fasting about (changing colleges was mine). For me a key part of fasting is letting your spiritual mentors know your fasting (you don't need to tell the world), because the fast is to allow for greater dependency on God, my rule is whenever I get hungry (on a fast) and whenever I start jonesing for food I stop what I'm doing, say a prayer about whatever issue I'm fasting over until the craving faded. I told my mentors so they would know to keep me in mind those days and to pray for guidance on the issue at hand and for my strength and resolve.I've done a three day fast, lots of water and juice. Do some research about it though, a lot has been written on the concept of fasting from a theological point of view.

Helpful hint, I read Job a lot during my fast...it made me less whiney...
  • AngelLittle
    AngelLittle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;

That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

- Matthew 6:16-18

Good advice from someone that knew a bit about fasting. :wink: Great opportunity to work on keeping a positive attitude when things aren't very peachy.
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Thanks, y'all! Keep 'em coming! Because I am obese it's sometimes hard for me to have these conversations with people in person because they assume that the primary goal of the fast would be weight loss no matter what I say. It's nice to hear that there are other people out there who don't think of it as a crazy weight loss gimmick.
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I fast the first Sunday of every month. As a family, my husband and I try to have a specific purpose for our monthly fast. For example, our local church leaders recently asked us to fast for a family in the area that was struggling. We always begin our fast with prayer and end with prayer. Whenever I feel hungry, I take a little time to think about and say an extra prayer for my purpose in fasting that month.

We try to open the fast right after dinner or sometimes lunch and then do not eat or drink again until either lunch or dinner the next day. During the summer, I typically drink water while fasting. If I don't, I tend to get headaches from dehydration. My husband doesn't drink at all and seems to be just fine.

In addition to praying, we also give a donation to help the poor when we fast. Our church recommends donating at least as much as you would have spent on food during your fast.