Muscle cramps

Options
I'm a newbie at lifting and I've noticed the more I'm working my muscles the more muscle cramps I am experiencing. I was told to eat bananas and I will have one before I workout. But I'm still getting cramps in multiple areas. The cramping will happen at random times throughout the day. But, especially during yoga and certain stretching poses. I've never had this before lifting weights. Do you have any suggestions?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Muscle cramps are often cause by electrolyte issues. You might want to try bumping up your sodium, potassium, and/or magnesium intake. That last one is likely the culprit, as a lot of people are deficient in it, without ever realizing it before they start taxing their bodies. The fact that you tried supplementing potassium via bananas, without it making a difference, makes me suspect that even more.
  • Annaisready
    Annaisready Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    cramps? or soreness? ...lactic acid is common. Do alot of stretching before after workouts and even during your regular day. The poster above might have some good advice also.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    My cramping was due to loss of sodium during high humidity while cycling long distance. A 12oz can of V-8 helped that. No kidding.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'd go with @Gallowmere1984 advice and try some magnesium supplements. Magnesium is supposed to be the second most deficient vitamin / mineral after vitamin D.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    I'd go with @Gallowmere1984 advice and try some magnesium supplements. Magnesium is supposed to be the second most deficient vitamin / mineral after vitamin D.

Do your research though, and get a good one. Magnesium supps are notorious for being trash. Here's something to get you started: https://labdoor.com/rankings/magnesium
  • JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Do your research though, and get a good one. Magnesium supps are notorious for being trash. Here's something to get you started: https://labdoor.com/rankings/magnesium

Labdoor is awesome. I don't buy anything they review without consulting it first. I personally use the Doctor's Best brand. That being said I agree this probably a magnesium issue.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Most cramps are due to dehydration. Sometimes the simplest solution is the right one. Plus adding water to your day costs you nothing.
  • Alienique
    Alienique Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Muscle soreness is normal whenever you start taxing your body in ways you hadn't before. How long have you been exercising for? Typically, soreness should subside within a week of you starting a new/more intense exercise regime.
    Of course, it might be an issue with you not getting enough of the micro-nutrients mentioned above, or it could just be that your muscles are sore since they aren't used to be used - after all, when you work out, you are first breaking down the muscle fibers.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thank you for posting this. I never knew about this site.

OP, I agree with the others. Most cramping is from electrolyte imbalance. But it's hard to tell if you are getting adequate nutrients without looking at your diary.
  • Kellikat80
    Kellikat80 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much all of you. It is not soreness, definite cramping. I am very new to lifting, only about 1-2 months. I will check out the website and see about getting some magnesium. And drink more water.
  • mrflipmode
    mrflipmode Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Magnesium tablets, try and avoid ones with Magnesium oxide in, takes longer for the body to absorb.
    The tablets are cheap and available at most places, helps with cramps, sleep and normal function of the muscles and the nervous system
  • Kellikat80
    Kellikat80 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it helps with sleep. I could sleep forever, so I hope it doesn't make me want more sleep. Thank you for the helpful info.