Plantar fasciitis...help

Options
Started working out at the gym and my plantar fasciitis has seriously flared up. Any thing that takes this away would be greatly appreciated. I am currently taping my foot for minimal relief.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    What is your routine at the gym currently?
  • BettyEtte
    BettyEtte Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Anything that involves jumping will cause a flare up for me. I've just accepted it, and do other things. I am trying to run again---just a little--because the benefits are so quick. But I can tell right away if I did too much.
  • Carbybarbie
    Carbybarbie Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've just spent a5 day holiday walking 3/4 hours at a time and my plantar fasciitis has flared up also . my physio said stretching the plantar by going up into the ball of your foot and rolling your foot over a bottle of iced/frozen water to help relieve it . I run ibruprophen gel into my foot also . hope this helps
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I have put profoot in my sneakers so has my parents and has helped a lot. though I have had to find sneakers they work best in depending on the cut of the shoe. I buy them online but you can find them at Marshalls too.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You need to do a LOT of stretching of your calves and achilles every day, and stretch and manipulate the plantar fascia with your hands every morning. The pain comes because the plantar fascia is too tight. I bought a couple of pairs of shoes that I found on Footsmart that had high arch support - it helps keep the plantar fascia stretched. I wore nothing but Orthaheel tennis shoes and Orthaheel flip flops for a couple years (otherwise used their insoles) and my feet are now in great shape. Your results may vary, of course, but they worked for me, and I was pretty much crippled with my PF. Best to you.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I work for an ortho doc and he says the best thing to do is to get a cast mold of your foot flexed, then wear that at night. Hubs had it two months ago so I had him come in and the cast tech fixed it up for him. It worked within a few days and now he has the splint for if it ever flares up again. The doc also mentioned the frozen water bottle in conjunction.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    You could try rolling a tennis ball firmly against the arch of your foot. The technique is called soft tissue massaging and it often helps stretch out the muscles it's done to and loosens any tight spots. Be warned though that it can really hurt in areas where the muscles are especially tight.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My podiatrist gave me a boot/splint to wear at night and that made the difference for me, more than taping and icing.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Another vite for rolling your foot iver a frozen water bottle. I actually use a Gatorade bottle because the ridges hurt so good. When mine flares up I do this every evening and morning, and it helps massively.
  • janettles
    janettles Posts: 69 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    footsmart.com carries a lot of shoes and other products that claim to help plantar fasciitis.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Started working out at the gym and my plantar fasciitis has seriously flared up. Any thing that takes this away would be greatly appreciated. I am currently taping my foot for minimal relief.

I rarely endorse products but KT Tape will give to instant relieve from the pain. You can buy at CVS stores and YouTube how to apply. I get countless thank-yous from everybody who takes this advice.

You will still need to rehab it with stretches and rolling with lacrosse or golf ball. Can also use wine bottle or frozen water bottle.
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I found a good shoe insert helps me. I used to use a brand I found in Walgreen's. Can't remember the name but the men's package is blue and the women's package is pink. Only downside is the material of the insert smells bad and makes your shoes and feet stink. Even medicated foot powder didn't help much. I currently use the Walkfit platinum orthotics and so far it really has helped. If this fails I'm gonna have to face the music and get an expensive custom made pair.

Also years ago my podiatrist warned me to avoid high impact things like jumping. lunges I was advised can also be bad for PF because the strain it puts on your arch/tendons/etc.

Lots of great advice in this thread. Good luck op!
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I used a night splint (http://www.footsmart.com/P-Night-Splint-10711.aspx) and insoles with heel cushioned sneakers. Took about 6 months to recover, but it did get better. Dropping weight helped a bunch too. I used ice/Advil for the pain.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The only thing that worked for me was taking care of my Achilles with stretches. Ice works for temporary relief. The easiest stretch is to stand on the edge of a stair with your heels hanging over the leading edge of the step. Lower your heels and then come up on your toes. I also wore a night boot - which I wore during the day because I have a desk job.
  • suznhenz
    suznhenz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do have one question- are you taking a statin drug to lower cholesterol? Some of them can do nasty things to your muscles and connective tissues! Lipitor just about crippled me. Crestor didn't, and Pravistatin doesn't seem to cause me any problems. When I was taking the Lipitor (before I realized it was the cause of my tendonitis), my orthopedic doctor had me fill a foam cup with water and stick it in the freezer. When it was solidly frozen, I would take it out of the freezer and tear off a little of the upper edge, to expose some of the ice. I would rub that on my achilles tendons, then stick it back in the freezer.It held the ice, melted to contour to my tendon, and my hands didn't freeze.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    roll the bottom of your foot...I use this:

51z6BJcx1wL._AC_US160_.jpg

and I also use a tennis ball sometimes if I need something a bit softer.

I also wear superfeet inserts for arch support...this has basically all but eliminated my flare ups.

ice pack

stretch those calves.

avoid exercise that aggravate things and do something else...this is one of the big reasons why I'm a cyclist and not a runner.
  • xsix
    xsix Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ibuprophin, ice, stretch, and new shoes worked for me.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    for me walking barefoot on sand is a huge help
  • xlgman
    xlgman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Stretch both feet for a few minutes when you wake up, before your feet hit the floor in the morning.