Looking to break some bad habits and start some new good habits

Options
Hi,

I'm looking to lose about 15lbs. I've always been one of the lucky ones who can over eat, and not show it. I've maintained my weight around 140lbs my entire adult life, but I started an office job a year ago and am finding it harder to keep my good habits-such as working out and eating healthy. As a result, I am starting to creep up in weight. My SO and I are also trying to conceive, and I'm concerned about going into a pregnancy carrying extra weight from the get-go. I'm not looking to change anything drastic, just make some simple lifestyle changes to get back down to my goal weight.

My plan is to start a low-carb diet. I'm not going to be super strict- I'm not cutting out fruit or ketchup- just the heavy carb items such as bread, pasta, rice, etc.

I also plan to cut down on my evening eating. I don't eat a lot during the day, but I often have several servings of "seconds" after finishing dinner. I also snack a lot at night and love to have a glass of wine before the night is done. I'm going to cut that out as well.

As for exercise, I usually workout 3-4 days a week. I'm going to up that to at least 5. My goal is to workout Monday through Friday, no excuses!

I plan to post here daily to keep myself motivated and moving in the right direction. I'm looking for some friends to join me.

Replies

• Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Well I say no to low carb diets. They are fads and not sustainable.
    My advice to you is choose your calorie goal to be in a deficit you'd need without exercise.
    Stick to it. But in that eat what you want WHEN you want.
    Hate all this not eating carbs after 6 or not eating after 7 bollocks.
    You want little tweaks you can stick to right? If you trying to get pregnant don't cut out things you'd regularly eat? You'll find it harder to concentrate, be moody and hungry!
    Don't do it gurl. Please tell me u won't!
    Listen to your body. Plan your meals to when you get hungry and stick to your target. Whether that's no breakfast or big breakfast small dinner lunch and snacks.
    I meal prep so have lunch n snacks sorted for week as I also work in office. I'm prepared so if there's morning teas n stuff I'm not needing to eat crap cause I'm hungry and unprepared.
    Don't cut carbs. Please LOL its a great food group.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    But ketchup is a gateway carb.
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree with post. Don't do anything you can't sustain over time. The trick is to eat healthy rather than think you are going on a diet - it won't work! If you are exercising as much as you say you are you need carbs to keep your energy levels up as well. I watched a TED TALK today that was rather insightful - which stated scientific reasons why diets don't work. Instead, eat plenty of fruit and vegetable, exercise, don't smoke and drink alcohol moderately. I found out moderately is only 3 small glasses each time you drink and not to drink more than 14 units a week, so your one glass of wine is fine and if you enjoy it why not, if you start depriving yourself too much that is when y ou will give up. The other thing I learnt from this TED TALK is to eat without distractions and listen to your body, when you are satisfied (not full, and bloated) so that you think yes I could eat a bit more but I won't - stop eating. don't eat whilst watching TV, checking your phone or playing a game on your computer, think about what you are eating, taste it, smell it, see it, use all your senses to experience the process of eating. That is what I am going to try. Even though I am going to continue to track on MFP, I am going to try not to be so obsessed with food anymore.
    The other trick, for work is to be prepared. Take a fruit salad for when you are hungry or a piece of fruit, if you must eat snacks take healthy ones but be careful just because it says "healthy" or "low fat" doesn't mean it is low sugar. Try and avoid processed foods also and you won't go far wrong. It will mean being more organised and spending some time prepping but well worth the effort.
  • deverel
    deverel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm not looking to go on a strict no-carb diet, just cut out some of the carb-heavy foods and fill up with fruits and veggies instead. I don't plan on never eating a bowl of pasta, just not every night!

I don't eat a lot of processed foods. I cook almost everything from scratch. I guess what I'm trying to do is get a healthier diet. I'm not against eating carbs, but I have no self control once I start!

Today went well. I ran/walked 4 miles around a nearby track and ate a large salad and some leftover carne asada for dinner. I don't eat a lot during the day, a piece of fruit for breakfast, and the same for lunch. That's pretty typical for me. For the most part, I've been able to control my constant grazing this evening.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "but I started an office job a year ago and am finding it harder to keep my good habits-such as working out and eating healthy."

I'm confused how working in an office effects your eating healthy. The lunch you had working out of an office can't be brought from home or bought near the office? The breakfast you enjoyed pre-office suddenly became unavailable?

Unless you're working significantly more than 8 hours a day, or have an onerous commute, OR your prior employment was physically demanding, the TYPE of work you do shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Step One: Identify the real reason for the weight gain. Hint, Calories In > Calories Out
    Step Two: Make the appropriate corrections to your lifestyle.

It ain't the Job, It's your reaction to the job.
  • maguariento
    maguariento Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I'm confused how working in an office effects your eating healthy.

I had the same thing happen when I switched from a free lance lifestyle to a desk job, and although it may well be "your reaction to the job," the job is what it is, and is causing you to gain. Part of it can be the sitting marathons we get to endure, grazing during work because our co-workers brought some awesome yummies, and that sort of thing.

I too experience the issue with over-grazing in the evenings - probably some sort of reaction to being stuffed in the office all day so need to add extra stimulation in the evenings - I TOTALLY GET IT!! I can control what I eat all day (by controlling what I bring!), but once I'm home all bets are off.

Whatever is causing it, I'm finding that what helps me is to eat a smallish dinner ASAP. I'm used to an evening workout, followed by walking the dog, followed by cocktails and snacks. When I have the motivation to skip the cocktails and go right to dinner, I wind up satisfied longer. The problem is, I like to cook (like you do, deverel!), and that takes longer than pouring a drink and noshing on some pretzels/popcorn. SO, pre-prep is key! Also, cook smaller portions, or plan for enough leftovers for an entire second meal. Sometimes I can stop the temptations to have seconds if it means I'm stealing from tomorrow's dinner :smile:

Don't worry too much about even cutting out/cutting down the "bad" carbs. Not a bad plan, as it's all in all healthier, but really it's just portion control. Maybe save the wine for weekends, if you have the self restraint (I don't). One less scoop of dinner a night, all else being equal, you will probably get back to your pre-desk jockey weight in no time!

Now... if I can just follow my own advice...!
  • deverel
    deverel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the advice from my fellow desk-jockey. I'm the same way, I have no problem controlling what I eat during the day. It's the evenings where I struggle.

I'm not trying to make excuses for myself, I know I overeat. I'm just saying I did better when my schedule was different. I worked out a ton, and would take as long as I wanted to cook elaborate healthy meals. It is harder when you work all day to come home and cook a full meal from scratch. I also find it easier to skip workouts when I'm tired after a long day's work.

I'm not overweight at this point, but if I keep doing what I have been doing I'll get there soon enough. That's what I'm trying to halt.

I feel like cutting things like pasta and such will help with the overeating. I love that kind of food, and have a really hard time controlling myself once its out and available. Eating more protein and veg should help keep me full.
  • maguariento
    maguariento Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I totally feel for you!

When you do have pasta, what's worked for me is to weigh out 1.5 ounces (using whole wheat when possible), so I can't overdo it, and use angel hair whenever possible. It's amazing how much bigger 1.5 ounces of angel hair looks compared to 1.5 ounces of farfalle or even linguine!!

You'll figure it out - it's so good that you recognized this trend early and can nip it in the bud.
  • hanwatts2016
    hanwatts2016 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hey thats good start try prep meals that healthy ao wont snack or binge on bad things bread is good one to stop cause it generally does nothing for u rice ia good food tho and protein needs become your best friend!good luck