22 trying to lose between 60-80 pounds

Options
TanijahMartinez
TanijahMartinez Posts: 3 Member
edited August 2016 in Getting Started
Let's motivate each other . Let me know what's working for you . What to do & not do ..

Replies

• billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have lost 90 pounds in 7 months without exercise. I am doing low carb high fat. check out dietdoctor.com if you are interested in trying it. I weigh every day and log everything
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm in this group! Around 70lbs to lose. Recently purchased a basketball (used to play when I was younger) and hoping to do as much fun exercise as possible whilst eating better! Hoping to be where I want to be by next summer at the latest.
  • samtheseahippie
    samtheseahippie Posts: 9 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just be healthy about it- too much too fast won't last. You've got to eat smart- no fad diets. Incorporating exercise is key too. Feeling good about what you're doing and wanting to do it needs to be your focus. Not because you have to- because being healthy makes you feel good. Figure out a way to make it feel good that's personal for you. It helps you keep loving yourself through the process instead of the self-hate that gets common with dieters.

A few things that helped me start:
    1. Avoiding eating after 7:30
    2. Giving up beer and soda
    3. Eating smaller meals throughout the day instead of 3 big ones. Make sure to adjust if you have plans to go out to eat.
    4. Never eat just to be polite or because it's there.
    5. Never settle to try and satisfy a craving - you eat three times as much when you do that, on average.
    6. Set smaller goals to reward yourself. Example - At my halfway point I'm going to do a pinup photo shoot to feel good about my body and be motivated to keep going. At my quarter point I'm buying tickets to a soccer game.
    7. Don't eat while busy. Savor it- it's more filling and becomes an event.
    8. Variety is important- diets never stick when people get bored of their food!
    9. Adventures in Fitness- if you have trouble exercising, especially at gyms try incorporating hiking (free for anyone), kayaking, swimming, dance, rock wall climbing- anything different that interests you.
    10. Walk daily. I use my lunches to walk- kept it going even in winter. (The coldest snowiest days in circles in my building).
    11. Add friends! Make your exercise coordinate with seeing friends. My friends and I did a weekend camping trip where we canoed for 5 hours to a campsite, then kayaked for 5 more hours the next day with a local outdoors group. We go for day trips to rock cities to hike and climb around. It's cheap, makes for great pictures and you have people to make it fun and push you. I told a few of my friends also to stop me if they see me mindlessly snacking or help me watch my drink orders at bars. They're nice about how they do it and it keeps me on track.

Best luck to you!
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut down on your fitness learning curve, buy a heart rate monitor and learn how to use it. It will save you from asking questions like, "am I working hard enough or too hard?"
  • OcalaFL
    OcalaFL Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    252.0 lbs 6/14/2016
    201.2 lbs 8/16/2016

lost 50lb in the last 5/6 weeks got only 30 more to go.

I eat food within calories/ macros with a 400/500 calorie deficiency from BMR and walk a few times a day
    drink water and reduced liquid calories (drinking a few of them ice cold to get your body to heat it temperature up to 98 degrees)
    park further away and walk when you travel to do tasks (shopping, restaurants, work, etc)
    be aware of sodium intake this was making me retain water weight
    get 8 hours of sleep daily (Most adults need 7 to 9 hours a night)
    do stuff with friends or around the house etc (burning calories doing stuff other than exercise) window shopping, etc
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    If i could go back as a 31 year old and give my 22 year old self one piece of advice, it would be to not try and lose it so fast and lose it very slowly and sustainably (1 lb/ week) I always wanted to get it off as fast as possible only to crash and burn and gain it back. 1 - 2 years sounds like a long time to reach your goals but its a much better option than being 8 years down the road and still not being where you want to be.