Women's reg. sizes-what weight did it for you?

Options
Dottie27
Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
Women, especially those 5'2"-5'4", at what weight did you cross into regular sizes from the plus sizes?

Replies

• JMRGrant
    JMRGrant Posts: 67
    Options
    For me it was around 210-215. Remember it also depends on your build, the cut of the clothes and how tight you like to wear your clothes. I do know it was a great experience to buy my first "Missy" clothes (I bought 2 pair of size 16s and 1 pair of size 18s) for the 1st time in many, many years. I still have a long way to go, but I've noticed that my 16s are starting to get loose, however I'm not buying new pants until I can get into a 12 confortably (I'm too old to wear "tight" jeans anymore - I enjoy breathing too much). Anywho - good luck and hang in there! :smile:
  • JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    bump

I know everyone differs...i'm just starting but i'm at 22W and 5'3ish weigh 296 (finally in the 2's)...
  • Dottie27
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. The regular size clothes would be a big NSV for a lot of us.
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'1" and weighed in at 223, just getting into the size 20s. I have a size 18 on standby for next month (fingers crossed)
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I'm between 5'6" and 5'7" (seem to be losing height but not losing the weight, sadly). When I get down under 220, I can start shopping in "regular" stores again. To be honest, I cannot wait! I'm so sick of showing up to work wearing the exact same clothes as the other 2 "bigger gals" in my office, because we all shop at the same stores. HA!

Every body is different for sure. I see girls my height starting out on MFP at 150 and that's the weight I am aiming for! ha.

JRena, good for you on reaching those 2's girl! Keep at it!
  • Dottie27
    Options
    You will definitely do it!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I just realized you were asking the 5'3" gals! I'm a little taller.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Sad to say, but I don't EVER remember being in regular size clothes. I was 205lbs and a size 20 in middle school, 20 years ago. I will let you know when I get there though because I may throw myself a shopping spree!!!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5'3, 185. I can't answer that and quite frankly, no woman can! Here's what I've learned: the store/manufacturer, the way your body is (apple vs pear)...it all varies. I'm starting to figure out how others work this. You see, depending where I go and what brand I get, I can be a 14/16 or clear up to a 22! That's a HUGE gap!! Any woman who's honest with the numbers, is like that, too.

In other words, no one is ONE size unless they stick to ONE brand. Let's face it, who does? One of my friends and I were talking about this and we figured it out...a person is multiple sizes, they just name the smallest size they're in as "their size." Really, who's going to name the largest?! ;)
  • sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    Wow, it is amazing the difference in body shape makes. i currently weigh 203 and am still wearing my 22s. They are getting looser , but I can't even imaging getting into 18s any time soon.
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    Im 5'2, when I started in Jan 2011 I was 205 and wore a size 16. I lost 20-25 pounds and that is when I moved out of plus sizes. Today I weigh 152 and can wear a size 10.
  • agibsonky
    agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the weight I crossed, but I remember that it seems like the sizes changed much faster the smaller I got. It seems like it took forever to go from a 22 to an 18, but really not long at all to go from a 12 to an 8. I think it all varies a lot by manufacturer.
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I know you asked the short gals, and I don't qualify, but thought I'd share anyway as it has been a huge NSV for me. And I'm struggling now and feel a little focus on these victories will help me quite a bit. So I am 5'10 and have just crossed into reg sizes, especially for tops, and I'm 238 right now. I'm a 16 top, but find that 18 W in pants better fit my curves.

I've had a weird experience, too; though I'm excited as all get out to be able to shop a new department, I think that now, after all these years of ugly tent plus size clothes, manufacturer's are now making plus sizes prettier than reg sizes!?! Is that just me? I tend to have a bit of a bohemian style, I like things flowy and frilly. :) I just remember complaining for years that ps didn't offer any really pretty styles, those were saved for reg sizes. Oh well. Happy to be where I'm at!

Good luck!
  • Dottie27
    Options
    There are a lot of nice looking plus size clothes, but the selection for stylish clothes tends to be pretty limited unless you want to pay a lot of money. I can relate to larger women in a workplace wearing the same clothes. When one of us finally finds something nice looking, the others definitely want to know where she bought it!
  • Dottie27
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration today! It's nice to know that even before hitting ONEderland, that I might have a significant NSV!
  • littlesuzieq
    littlesuzieq Posts: 103
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and can finally fit into my size 14 jeans at 182. They're a little snug but I'll take it. At 200.4 (my highest weight) I was wearing 16-18 pants and 1x-2x shirts (darn bust anyway). I'm finding that I'm still wearing L-XL shirts because I don't like things to be tight.

Good luck on your weight loss! The best NSV is being able to change sizes in your clothes. To me, that's progress. The number on the scale is just that... a number.
  • aberkdaber
    aberkdaber Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and I currently weigh 175 and am wearing any wehre from 13 to 16! I think its like a lot of other people say it just depends where you shop and what brands!! Good Luck to you : )
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and pear shaped. I crossed to regular sized shirts at around 235, and pants at 225 depending on the cut and style of course. Misses XL capri pants are loose, so I am back in between sizes again.
  • evonday
    evonday Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and I wear a size 18 at ~210 lbs.

I gathered up about 4 pairs of old pants I couldn't fit into before, and I'm can fit in all but 1.
  • lindaj13
    lindaj13 Posts: 30
    Options
    Wow I want to shop where y'all shop. I'm 5'5" and at my heaviest, 180 lbs, I wore size 16 jeans, slacks and capris and extra large tops. I am now 159 lbs and just barely able to get into some size 12's in pants and med. (size 12 tops) but I know I'm not yet a true size 12.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!