Convenient Caffiene? Trying to quit Redbull

Options
So, I admit that I've got a problem with caffeine. I'm a working college student, and between school and work I work an average of 70-80 hours a week. To do that, I rely heavily on energy drinks. My usual habit is 2 a day: one with breakfast, and one in the late afternoon. I know this is really unhealthy (and probably ultimately counter-productive), so I really want to start cutting back.
My goal is to switch entirely to coffee by the end of this semester. Over the summer I've gotten in to the habit of swapping my morning energy drink for a coffee. Afternoons are still a problem.
The issue is coffee is really inconvenient. I don't always have a coffee maker around, and a medium coffee from a cafe on campus is twice as expensive as my usual energy drink. I don't have the discipline to gag down a mug of cold coffee that I've carried around all day either... Its super easy to just toss a can of Redbull in my bag and call it good.
Does anyone have any advice for getting a healthier caffeine fix on a busy schedule and moderate budget?

Replies

• daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Can you splurge on a yeti (or other good brand) thermos-type mug and bring coffee with you? That's what I did as an undergrad, it kept my coffee hot pretty much the entire day. Now as a grad student, I have my own office with a coffee pot on my desk so it's a non-issue.

I still enjoy at least one redbull a day, though, on top of all the coffee I drink. I personally don't think they're inherently unhealthy, but I don't have any evidence to that so that's just my opinion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    You can buy 200mg caffeine pills.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Meh. I drink a Monster every afternoon, and coffee in the morning. Unless your Redbull has calories you are trying to cut, I don't see an issue. If it does have calories, Monster Ultra Zero doesn't have any and it's yummy.

ETA: I feel like I should add that I quit caffeine every January, just to prove I can. :D

ETA2: Do they still make No-Doz caffeine pills? You could just go that route.
  • jjalbertt
    jjalbertt Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I also recommend a thermos. They're really handy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    coffee in the morning...maybe a diet coke or something in the afternoon.

personally, i drink hot coffee in the morning on the way to work and usually have a Lucky Jack when I get home from work...

12f3132709977bbee50eba03055e466f.jpg
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

personally, i drink hot coffee in the morning on the way to work and usually have a Lucky Jack when I get home from work...

:o
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

That looks absolutely amazing, and after a quick google I'm now sad that it's not available anywhere near me.
  • iManifestGoals
    iManifestGoals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi millennial.

Welcome to what everyone does. Goes to school and works.

If it starts affecting your heart. Get a physical.

You're 22, MAKE time to eat & exercise and you WILL reach your goal in 6 months.

DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY.

Generation X.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    you could try iced tea instead of coffee in the afternoon
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This is my go to coffee - it is in a can so it travels easy & it is small enough to fit in my bag. It is also only 70 calories. 6paadog6n5c9.jpg
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Maxwell House and Folgers make coffee bags -- pour in boiling water (or microwave), allow to steep, then dunk the bag up and down 20 times (package directions). I use them when I travel.
  • GoldnRampion
    GoldnRampion Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I do have a thermal mug now, but maybe I should look into a higher quality one. I'm going to try out several of the recommendations here and see what works best. :smile:
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have a Zojirushi SM-SA60-BA Stainless Steel Mug that keeps coffee steaming hot for at least 12 hours. It was less than $30 from Amazon.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    do you know any of the teachers well enough to ask if you can use the office's kurieg?
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I take an energy vitamin - like One-a-Day Active Metabolism. It has 120mg of caffeine. It's enough to get me going but not too much, and it seems to last for most of the day.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Learn to drink coffee. It can taste really good even without sugar and milk. FYI red bull is very expensive coffee, caffeine is = to about 8 oz cup of coffee. So it's really just a rip-off.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I have a Zojirushi SM-SA60-BA Stainless Steel Mug that keeps coffee steaming hot for at least 12 hours. It was less than $30 from Amazon.

Does it fit under a Keurig?!? Seriously. @astronaught Every awesome mug I've bought so far has been too tall to fit under a Keurig.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    this may not be considered healthy BUT when I'm in a pinch I just use caffeine tablets from the drugstore.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee, so I use Arbonne energy fizz sticks when I need an energy boost. You just empty the packet into a bottle of water. They aren't cheap but they work. I love Red Bull but the energy fizz is much healthier.