Moving past the pain

Options
I'm fairly new to this site. I'm looking for some friends that could give me some advice. I'm 50+ and battle fibromyalgia, low thyroid & back problems. Is there anyone out there that has a good stratagy for working out through the pain? I'm doing ok (most days) with the calories but working out is really hard for me. I get so stiff and sore with very little movement. I really want to loose weight AND rebuild muscle that has been deconditioned due to 3 back surgeries.
124866.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

Replies

• spiritdncr
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this site. I'm looking for some friends that could give me some advice. I'm 50+ and battle fibromyalgia, low thyroid & back problems. Is there anyone out there that has a good stratagy for working out through the pain? I'm doing ok (most days) with the calories but working out is really hard for me. I get so stiff and sore with very little movement. I really want to loose weight AND rebuild muscle that has been deconditioned due to 3 back surgeries.
    124866.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • deamarie
    Options
    I know it is difficult during a flair up but isn't exercise good for fibromyalgia overall??
  • spiritdncr
    Options
    Yes that's right as long as you don't injure yourself which is what typically happens with me. Somehow I even managed to tear a ligament in the pool doing water aerobics. The trick for me is finding something I can tolerate without injury. Any suggestions?
  • deamarie
    Options
    I am sure you have done tons of research but here is a link that might be a little helpful....

www.acefitness.org/FITFACTS/pdfs/fitfacts/itemid_89.pdf

Do you work out at home or in the gym?
  • spiritdncr
    Options
    Always from home since I live way out in the country. I try to walk, ride my bike, wii, I love gardening.
  • spiritdncr
    Options
    Thanks Deamarie for the article. It affirms what I was feeling. Slow steady movements are most comfortable. It's wierd how your body tells you what it needs if you just listen carefully. :bigsmile:
  • deamarie
    Options
    You are so welcome! Good luck and listen to what you body tells you...It knows best!