back to school time! Happy? Sad? Indifferent?

Options
ambalam
ambalam Posts: 35 Member
I've got 2 birth kids and 2 step kids and they all start school Thursday! Yes! Well 3 of them. My dramatic moody beautiful evil smart toddler is still home w me. Thinking of having my son take her to show n tell so I can get a break lol. She hates everyone not living w her. She's so precious lol.

But I'm kinda sad. Won't get to see the step kids as much. And I've gotten used to hanging out w my boy all day. Ultimately this means he's one day closer to thinking I'm uncool. Every day is I guess. Plus he's been working out w me. And he helps me around the house. I hate waking up early and getting him there. I'm a mess lol. And they want you to write down why you're late. "Diarrhea" "can't get it together this early" "birds". They've all been excuses.

Anyone else a mess? Lol.

Who's excited? Who's not?

Replies

• Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Well my little boy should have started 1st on Thursday, but we were flying back from vacation on Thursday. So we show up to school on Friday and it was closed due to flash flood warnings. Then Learned on Sunday that schools will be closed until Monday the 22nd. So I got a little extra time with him cause now he has to come to work with me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are thrilled...we both work, so summers are a b!tch.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    only thing I'm sad about is the added traffic in the AM. I have no little ones at home so I am unaffected .
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Not back until 5th Sept here.

Enjoying my first ever summer with my kids (I am not working for the first time) but will also be a bit relieved when they go back. Some nerves too as my 4 yo will be starting school proper.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Just a little bit excited :# we all do better on the school year routine
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    No kids, but not a fan of getting stuck behind the bus in the mornings. It was better when I worked 12 hour shifts and had 4 days off. Empty movie theaters, deserted beaches, coffee shops free from teenagers and their frappuccinos. It was heaven.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Noooo...not excited. It's been the best summer ever. The kids have barely been home. Bwahahaha. And they've only been home at the same time together like one week all summer. It has been so stress free. I've been able to just get up and go in the mornings without worrying about anyone else. NOT looking forward to trying to corral them in the mornings, make sure they take care of the dogs, get to school on time, fight about homework, extracurricular activities, etc.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm always so excited. Ok I absolutely hate packing lunches and HOMEWORK. But man it's so nice to be able to have some time for myself without kids bickering all the time (I'm an introvert and just tend to go crazy without some alone time). Man just going to the gym has been a pain because the kids complain about how the kid area is for babies etc... ugh. Then all my shows start again and I get to watch those in peace too...

I also enjoy the 30 minutes I usually get to chat with the couple other parents I like while the kids play after school (at least until the weather turns ugly or the kids start being a pain about doing their homework).

We don't start until September 5th here either.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I like when my DD is in school. It's good for her and me. Free's up some of my time and I know she's not bored at home and she's socializing too. But unlike many parents, I get to see my daughter a lot through the day because I only work part time and she get to go with me to work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Ugh... for me. I manage a school bus terminal, back to school means 11+ hour work days again and close to 100 whiny employees who all swear "they never complain, but...." LOL

I was really enjoying working 8-4 and not having to babysit adults every day (and do their job when they don't show up)

I'm an empty nester now, so my own kids are already out and about - just grandkids now that I don't have to deal with 24/7 (and thoroughly enjoy them when I DO have them!) :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Happy my boys are back, still happy the college I work at is back in full swing.

Indifferent for everyone else. lol.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    4 kids here...8 and under. Older 3 start on Monday and I cant wait to get back into a stable routine.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm always so excited. Ok I absolutely hate packing lunches and HOMEWORK. But man it's so nice to be able to have some time for myself without kids bickering all the time (I'm an introvert and just tend to go crazy without some alone time). Man just going to the gym has been a pain because the kids complain about how the kid area is for babies etc... ugh. Then all my shows start again and I get to watch those in peace too...

I also enjoy the 30 minutes I usually get to chat with the couple other parents I like while the kids play after school (at least until the weather turns ugly or the kids start being a pain about doing their homework).

I'm with you! I miss being able to go to the gym, grocery shop by myself.. Just being able to think straight for a few hours is heaven. Not to mention I get to pick my hours back up at work and be around some adults. Christmas break will be here before you know it :#
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Not excited. I live in a college town right next to Boston and I've enjoyed being able to get into restaurants and bars without a wait all summer long. That's about to change.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I'm with you! I miss being able to go to the gym, grocery shop by myself.. Just being able to think straight for a few hours is heaven. Not to mention I get to pick my hours back up at work and be around some adults. Christmas break will be here before you know it :#

Groceries OMG! The kids are SO BORED but they fight every time I mention going to the store... SIGH. I've been going at night when my husband comes back home or on the week end. They're 8 and all they want to do is hang out with their friends (I'm NOT bothering their parents all the time) or play video games. Everything we used to do (farm, kid museums etc) they get bored of after 10 minutes. The only thing they still like is the water park (but I lose my mind after 2 hours because of all the people).

Good times!
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'm ready to have my teenager off the couch. I will miss all the half-assed house cleaning she did for me, it was better than nothing.

I'm a bit sad that she's starting high school. So little time left.
  • _birdie__
    _birdie__ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    i homeschool my kids

i loved summer and i <3 fall too

• NMSever
    NMSever Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can't wait!!! I get my mornings back!! Haha!! Love my kids but they gots to go! Gym, shopping and cleaning is a breeze with no one here.