negative calorie adjustment

Options
I know this has been posted before - but I also did a search but can't find where to adjust the calories burned with my apple watch to show the negative calorie adjustment. For example - I did a workout today and it logged it - but as part of my workout (Orangetheory) I ran on the treadmill - so it is "double counting" calories. So it is showing a calorie adjustment of 634 calories - and I don't think that is anywhere near right. Can someone tell me where to adjust that? The MFP website said to go to diary settings - but when I do that - I don't have the option to change anything there that has to do with my exercise - only the food. :)

Thank you!!

Replies

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Go to Exercises --> Settings. There should be an option to turn on or off negative calorie adjustments.
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It must be a premium setting - when I go there it only lets me change settings having to do with nutrients and calories. :(
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    go to settings and then diary settings and it's in there
  • tchrmom04
    Options
    I promise I have done it multiple times now - and I am just not seeing it. Would you mind telling me under which link? I'm going to setting and then diary settings and the only options there have to do with food. Confusing because the title says exercise - but there are no options to change anything under exercise.
  • RAinWA
    Options
    Isn't that frustrating? Look at something a gazillion times and still not see it? :)

I'm on the website so it might be different if you are using an app, but under settings in the top bar it brings up account settings. Then go to diary settings and scroll about halfway down the page and it has the calorie adjustments settings.

It might be totally different on the app, I'll have to go look.
  • tchrmom04
    Options
    That is so crazy. I am on the website - but that doesn't show up on my settings. :)
  • RAinWA
    Options
    Do you have your tracker linked to your MFP account?

And I found out you can't enable negative adjustments on the app - has to be on the website.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    fc619553e9.jpg

It should be right there.
  • sijaeabc
    sijaeabc Posts: 43 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't think that's how the negative calorie adjustment is supposed to work anyway. It says it is for when your device (iphone) calculates that your calorie burn is LESS than MFP's estimate. Your phone is showing a positive adjustment, meaning its calculation says you burned MORE than MFP. The program takes into account the exercise you entered into mfp. So if you entered a workout that would become part of the MFP side of the calculation. It's not being counted twice because it is in both sides and the device total is subtracted from the MFP total. The MFP part of the equation also projects forward and estimates what it thinks you will do over the whole day. So as your activity changes the adjustment changes throughout the day. If you click on the (i) circle next to the adjustment in your exercise diary, it will break the calculation down for you and it shows that the exercise you entered is properly accounted for.

I think the real question is - how accurate is your device? The more accurate the device and the more consistently you use it, the more useful this adjustment will be.

But the main point is that the program is not counting your exercise twice.
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Above post has a very good point: negative adjustment isn't the same as counting an exercise twice
    When that happens to me, I either go in & delete the exercise, or edit it to low calories.
    Example: I go for a long run. I have 18k in steps & earn calories for steps. FitBit also logs exercise (running) calories and gives me additional calories on top of that. So I end up with like 1100 earned exercise calories....um, no. So I either just ignore it & don't eat all those back...OR alternatively edit the exercise to minimal calories (I've seen a lot of people doing this, such as entering"1" calorie burned for a 60-minute workout. Just my opinion, whatever works best for you.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Above post has a very good point: negative adjustment isn't the same as counting an exercise twice
    When that happens to me, I either go in & delete the exercise, or edit it to low calories.
    Example: I go for a long run. I have 18k in steps & earn calories for steps. FitBit also logs exercise (running) calories and gives me additional calories on top of that. So I end up with like 1100 earned exercise calories....um, no. So I either just ignore it & don't eat all those back...OR alternatively edit the exercise to minimal calories (I've seen a lot of people doing this, such as entering"1" calorie burned for a 60-minute workout. Just my opinion, whatever works best for you.

I don't get that, anything that comes from my Fitbit is under 'Fitbit calorie adjustment' I don't have any other activities.

EDITED as I wasn't making sense