How do you resist cravings?

Options
These past 2 weeks for me has been tough because I could never resist my cravings. I space out my meals every 3-4 hours and allow myself to snack on fruits but after just 1 hour after eating, I want to eat again, which is so frustrating because I always find myself eating something I shouldn't eat (chocolates, chips that I steal from my dad's, etc). I'd walk outside but it's currently way too hot for me to even step outside. Any suggestions?

Replies

• bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've been having a hard time also. For some reason it's get really intense :(

Hope we have better luck soon!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why shouldn't you eat chocolate? But it's OK to steal? OK :D Anyway, I don't care much for struggling, and I can't really resist anything for very long, so I just avoid buying foods I don't want to eat.
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Find healthier alternatives to the things you tend to have cravings for. I have developed a serious craving for peanut butter and chocolate since I started really watching my nutrition at the beginning of the year. Quest makes this protein "bar" that is basically 2 protein peanut butter cups. If you are an ice cream lover, Arctic Zero and Halo Top make great protein-filled pints of ice cream. You just need to find little alternatives like this to satiate your cravings so you don't feel deprived, but don't blow your healthy eating plans.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I work the things I crave into my plan. I eat chips, and ice cream, and chocolate, and pizza. I just plan on how much I get and I decide if it's worth the trade-offs.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Depends on craving. Guacamole (my current huge craving) I do not resist. Chocolate, I sometimes resist, sometimes don't. To resist, I have healthy snacks to hand, if I'm craving, I eat something healthy. If I still want it, I get it and build it in.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to eat again 1 hour after a meal? Are you eating enough calories, fat and protein? Are you hungry 1 hour later or do you just have a craving?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I make room in my calorie allotment for chocolate or ice cream every night. I very rarely get cravings.
  • Alienique
    Alienique Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Brush teeth, chew gum, meditate, look in the mirror. There's lots you can do to fight cravings, however, I think the most effective one is simply to be occupied with something else - get busy with something, get engrossed in your work, and don't live your life meal-to-meal (there's more to life than eating, after all).
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm not likely to crave anything I eat on a regular basis, so I work it that way.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I don't resist my cravings... either I'll have a small amount of whatever it is (usually what I do) and fit it into my daily calorie allotment, or on occasion I overindulge - then move on with my life.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I fit it into my day. I know that doesn't help, but it works for me.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    My guess is that there is something a)lacking in your meal, or b)lacking in your meal ...,, ok, or c)contains a 'trigger' food that kicks in your desire for more food shortly after a meal.

Is what you are eating at your meals a 'balanced' meal that contains adequate servings of both starchy and non starchy carbs, protein, fats?

If it is skewed too much in one, that could be causing you to not be satiated enough.
    If it is too low in calories (energy) for the activities you do, then you will be hungry quickly again.

Just an idea. Cause this happens to me sometimes also. What I have learned is that I cannot eat, say, a salad for lunch that doesn't have some protein in it without searching for more carby food within 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Like today, I used chick peas in my salad as the protein source, and the rest were all salad vegetables ... and within 45 minutes I was looking for something else to toss into my mouth.
  • RayahEllen
    RayahEllen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I ask myself if I'm actually hungry or just "craving" something. If I'm not hungry, then I'll drink water or distract myself somehow. If I am hungry and craving something, it depends on if I can work it into my macros whether I eat some or not. Usually I work it into my macros/calories for the next day if I cannot get it in that day. Sometimes I indulge and let myself eat my cravings but that depends on how well I have been doing with my diet in general.
    I wouldn't recommend just "resisting" cravings all the time because that is how binging happens, at least for me!
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    What cravings?

(Because I do Keto.)
  • RainyDayBrunette
    RainyDayBrunette Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What cravings?

(Because I do Keto.)

Keto is amazing! Cravings... almost none... aside from olive oil. That is what I crave when I am hungry now!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I make them fit too. I mean, you gotta eat anyway. Might as well eat things you want to eat.