Artificial Sweetners

Options
For long term health concerns, which artificial sweetners are safe and which to avoid?

Replies

• nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    Bump... Curious myself, the only ok one I know of is Stevia which has a weird taste sometimes, anyone know about PureVia?
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    stevia, erythrtol are both really good ones
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/180927-truvia-and-purevia-leave-it-on-the-grocery-store-shelf

Use real sugar, maple syrup, honey or stevia (it's a plant you can grow in your garden) Artificial ones you're better off avoiding entirely as much as possible.

Don't bother with any "stevia' product that "measures cup for cup just like sugar" because it's got a whole lot of bulking agent to make it "even" with sugar (wanted to say equal but there's also a fake sweetener by that name)
  • jml107
    jml107 Posts: 27
    Options
    Use stevia (brands like Truvia use it). Splenda, Equal, and all those others have chemicals in them that are really bad for you and your body.
  • erinleigh76
    Options
    if it grows, like a bush, tree or plant then use it...if it's manufactured don't use it.... I know I've heard of sugar cane but never a splenda bush! just my opinion
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am under the impression that they are all pretty crappy for your body. The exception may be agave nectars or stevia - but I'd rather eat regular sugar in small amounts. If you use the substitutes do so sparingly. Aspartame tears my guts up with the most painful gas EVER.

My Mom was having really weird headaches and eye problems that turned out to be a result of using splenda in her tea everyday.
  • cyfairslam
    cyfairslam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I apologize for not seeing this earlier:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/282708-spleda-stevia-other-sugar-substitues

Looks like I started a duplicate thread.
  • Ladybuglovesderek
    Options
    I only have one kidney and had damage done to the other one during surgery. Everytime I eat artificial sweeteners they make my kidney ache. I have not had aguave nector in a while or stevia since the last surgery that damaged my kidney.