Binging Help!!

Options
Hey everyone! Lately I've been binging sooo much and I keep trying to strategize ways to stop but it doesn't work. I binge approximately 2-3 times a week. I've tried doing something else that I enjoy whenever I get the urge, as well as having healthy(er) substitutes but that only works for a period of time. Sometimes I get back on track, but then about two days later I find myself binging again. I know a lot of it has to do with self control but I just can't hit the nail on the head!! Help?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Couple things to consider. First, are you trying to diet through lower calories? When I try to stay at 1200cal/day, I frequently feel like eating my arm. Eating a bit more helps me feel a little more balanced. Second, if by binging, you are talking about binge eating disorder, please seek professional help. There are many different factors which can influence your success. Having someone who is trained specifically for this will help you sort through everything and guide you in the right directions. Finally, if you are not talking about binge eating disorder, then it is helpful to keep track of your emotions and monitor (without judgment) when and why you are over eating. Best of luck.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It has quite little to do with self control, but a lot with reducing stress, getting adequate sleep and rest, not exposing oneself unnecessarily to trigger foods, having good eating habits, including eating enough healthy food on a schedule in synch with your daily rythm as well as food you like and not depriving yourself. I always suspect "healthy(er) substitutes" means sub-par imitations of what you really crave, which will not only not satisfy your craving (if you have cravings that CAN be satisfied), but also feed your cravings by constantly reminding you of the food you crave.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Lately I've been binging sooo much and I keep trying to strategize ways to stop but it doesn't work. I binge approximately 2-3 times a week. I've tried doing something else that I enjoy whenever I get the urge, as well as having healthy(er) substitutes but that only works for a period of time. Sometimes I get back on track, but then about two days later I find myself binging again. I know a lot of it has to do with self control but I just can't hit the nail on the head!! Help?

What constitutes a binge for you? Are you eating an extra thousand calories a day? Are you eating lots of extra calories in one sitting. I only ask because sometimes people use the word binge when they just probably overate. I hope I'm not prying by asking.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

What constitutes a binge for you? Are you eating an extra thousand calories a day? Are you eating lots of extra calories in one sitting. I only ask because sometimes people use the word binge when they just probably overate. I hope I'm not prying by asking.

This is a good question. The answers for someone with Binge Eating Disorder could be very different for someone who is just overeating. For example, I'd suggest getting professional help for BED.
  • ElleMay1978
    ElleMay1978 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this also! Feel free to add if you like!
  • kcs121
    kcs121 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The only thing that's ever worked for me is Overeaters Anonymous...addressing the reasons behind the binges. However i have been binging since i was a child - i believe i was born a compulsive overeater.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    When I binge it's not because I want to eat a certain food, it's because my body feels like it needs to be uncomfortably full. I've been heavy all of my life and always relied on tons of food for comfort. I have PTSD and the over-full feeling comforted me. When I don't feel good, I binge so I can get that same comfort feeling.

I haven't found another way to cope yet, and the meds I am on don't do much to help me feel normal. I am in therapy for the PTSD, but it's severe enough that I haven't found my way yet.
  • justinc91
    justinc91 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I would have trouble with binging to and honestly, I just think I wasn't reaching enough cals each day. So by third or fourth day my body was starving and I would have to makeup for the lack of fuel by binging. Best thing to do is make sure your getting enough sleep and water intake. The most important I found was meal prepping and creating 6-8 small meals to consume in a day and spread them out through out the day. Protein makes u more full and less hungry.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    how about 'knock that sh}t off!' C'mon now. The pain of regret stings worse than the desire for food.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    how about 'knock that sh}t off!' C'mon now. The pain of regret stings worse than the desire for food.

If it's BED, this isn't going to be helpful. If it's someone who's over eating, but not truly binging, this is probably still not helpful. There are often psychological issues at play which require some digging and correction from the OP. She needs to look at what's going on and make the changes that are appropriate, based on the underlying causes.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

If it's BED, this isn't going to be helpful. If it's someone who's over eating, but not truly binging, this is probably still not helpful. There are often psychological issues at play which require some digging and correction from the OP. She needs to look at what's going on and make the changes that are appropriate, based on the underlying causes.

I agree.
  • lindascovanner
    lindascovanner Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too. It's definitely psychological. Stress = comfort eating. Feel free to add and we can find away around it. One of mine is the banana dippers from Dole. Fills the void of sweet and ice cream cravings. (My favorite was Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey so it really fits flavor wise).
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think binge eating stems from an unbalanced diet, stress and not sleeping well. It's not a lack of self control - so don't beat yourself up. It's simply a hormonal response to stressors.
    The 'cure' is to reduce the stressors.
    Here's my six point plan.
    1. Increase calorie consumption by 100 cals/day. (You'll still probably lose weight)
    2. Tackle the stress issues some way (councillors, doctor etc) Ditch any activity that gives you stress which you can do without.
    3. Start keeping VERY regular hours and eating at very regular times. Go to bed and get up at the same time. Get your 8hours sleep minimum.
    4. PLAN balanced, nutritious meals for yourself plus a small allowance for snacks (if you need them). No low carb stuff, no low fat. I mean balanced. i.e. a diet which contains lean protein, wholemeal carbohydrate, veg, dairy and fruit.
    5. Pre-weigh and package your snacks. Make allowances for a few each day. Don't keep too many portions in the house. Chocolate 1 square at a time is my favourite, or Almond Thins (16cals).
    6. Engage friends/family to help you. (I bet you are snacking alone?)
    This is all advice from someone whose been there and only recently realised that it wasn't my willpower but my hormones/emotions that were to blame.
    Feel free to friend if you like.
  • saramarie495
    saramarie495 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Not prying at all! By binging I mean going over my calories by anywhere from 400-1000 calories on a single sitting.

• saramarie495
    saramarie495 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    I think binge eating stems from an unbalanced diet, stress and not sleeping well. It's not a lack of self control - so don't beat yourself up. It's simply a hormonal response to stressors.
    The 'cure' is to reduce the stressors.
    Here's my six point plan.
    1. Increase calorie consumption by 100 cals/day. (You'll still probably lose weight)
    2. Tackle the stress issues some way (councillors, doctor etc) Ditch any activity that gives you stress which you can do without.
    3. Start keeping VERY regular hours and eating at very regular times. Go to bed and get up at the same time. Get your 8hours sleep minimum.
    4. PLAN balanced, nutritious meals for yourself plus a small allowance for snacks (if you need them). No low carb stuff, no low fat. I mean balanced. i.e. a diet which contains lean protein, wholemeal carbohydrate, veg, dairy and fruit.
    5. Pre-weigh and package your snacks. Make allowances for a few each day. Don't keep too many portions in the house. Chocolate 1 square at a time is my favourite, or Almond Thins (16cals).
    6. Engage friends/family to help you. (I bet you are snacking alone?)
    This is all advice from someone whose been there and only recently realised that it wasn't my willpower but my hormones/emotions that were to blame.
    Feel free to friend if you like.

Thank you very much! I'll try this and hope it helps :)

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I've been know to go on binge benders.
    I have found that if I concentrate on my protein, fats and fiber, I feel too 'full' to even consider binging. So far, so good.
  • leejoyce31
    Options

Not prying at all! By binging I mean going over my calories by anywhere from 400-1000 calories on a single sitting.

Do you feel guilt or shame during or after? I'm asking because going over by 1,000 in a single sitting may not be a binge. Could be overeating. If you really feel that you are binging, maybe you should talk with someone who is qualified to help you. Please take care.