Living alone

Options
as the title says, i live alone and find making a meal for just myself is too much trouble most of the time, so i tend to eat lots of pots of yoghurts, toast with eggs or worse still jam.
I also suffer with binge eating, so when i shop i buy stuff and end up eating it all in one day ! Its impossible to just buy for one person as i live miles from anywhere (rurual france) so have to travel to supermarket where most things are packed in packs of 4 or more
what advice can you give me please xx

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    can you do like a delivery thing? Like Blue Apron? Or SendaMeal?
  • Huffy_Puffy
    Huffy_Puffy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same, I need discipline or I'm a mess hence why I'm trying my best to stick to the cals allowance on here. Just come in here for support and start off slowly, it's what I'm doing
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I grill a bunch of chicken on Sunday and eat on it all week. It's not something I would want to "binge" on.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I find the weeks where my husband is traveling so much easier to stick to my diet! On Sunday, I cook dinner. I eat one serving, and portion out three more servings in separate containers to take for lunch Monday-Wednesday. On Monday night, I cook again, and I use the leftovers for dinner Tuesday, dinner Wednesday, and lunch Thursday. I cook a third meal Thursday night and use leftovers for Friday lunch and lunches Saturday and Sunday. I eat out with friends or grab a sandwich from a shop for Friday and Saturday dinners. Cooking three times gets me through the entire week. For breakfast, I eat protein bars, but you could eat yogurt, eggs, or something else that's easy to make in individual portions.

Buy things that you're not likely to binge on - will you binge eat the whole pile of veggies you're supposed to use in a stir fry, for example? Don't buy toast and jam if you know you'll overeat it. If you typically binge in the evenings, go for a walk instead until the urge to binge has passed.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Get a freezer and some tupperwares. Cook in batches and save some to reheat later. Make sure you avoid temptation to eat all your double portions in one go though!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    batch cooking definitely works for me. i portion things out as soon as it's done cooking so i don't overeat the batch and can grab a container to take for lunch to work or to have for dinner. i usually do 2 batches (lunch and dinner) per week.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Don't buy junk
    Set a budget
    Make planned meals

I usually buy stuff strictly for breakfast, snacks, and stuff just for dinner. Then I plan my meals. Lots of things I have are staples, it just keeps things simple. Buy food that would be best to fuel your body. Think of foods in terms of carbs, fats, proteins and balance out your meals. If you are an adult, you need to act like one. No one is responsible for your adult needs but you. THIS is the discipline all adults need in every aspect of their life (not just dieting).
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Second meal planning. I never do anything elaborate - many meals are just freezer to oven, or sandwiches, or pasta, but I enjoy the food and having a plan keeps me on track.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I shop Saturday. Sunday I cook tub o eggs. Tub o soup by browning sausage, than onions, than adding brother and beans and bitter greens (collard/kale/turnip tops) and adding spices. I also grill a dozen burgers. I freeze the burgers and eat the rest all week.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Gardening outdoors and indoors is possible in the temperate climate of France. Aquaponics is a good way of growing vegetables and can be done indoors for year round fresh vegetables. If you don't want to go up that learning curve, prepare your meals and freeze them on weekends.
  • StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    thanks all xx
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Meal planning definitely helps. Once you know what you want to cook, you know what ingredients you need so you can buy just that.

Items like yoghurts aren't awful to have...so they come in packs of 4...you can have all 4 in one week, just not one day. Same with packs of crisps, freezer bags of chicken. Foods will have longer shelf life's than just the week you buy them, so just remember that because they are there doesn't mean you have to eat it. Reign in your will power and you'll be fine.

My partner works one week early's and one week lates. He's a fussy eater so when he's on lates, I'm in my element and I can have all the things he wouldn't usually eat. For a week, I can handle cooking for one. If you find your portion control is difficult, then definitely implement the freezing a portion idea. You'll get there...practice makes perfect!
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Like others said - I used to cook on a Sunday a big batch of one or two meals. I'd portion them out into Tupperware and freeze them and pull one out every night. I mainly made soups and stews as they were minimal effort to cook and seemed to defrost and reheat the best. I wouldn't have to have the same thing every day as there would be a variety in the freezer.

My favourites were chilli con carne, Thai coconut curry (with chicken and load sof veg), and beef stew. I found Pinterest really helpful for inspiration!